User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tensions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tensions

I recently broke my strings on my VT 70 (BG80 at 22 lbs) and decided to restring at 23 lbs. When I initially started playing, my shots were inaccurate and my shoulder muscle was sore, but after a few days it recovered. Now I've gotten use to the higher tension, however, I feel I've lost power and I don't receive any feedback from my racket when I smash (where it feels like the repulsion of the string bed travels to your grip). Is this a clear indication I should lower my tension?
    Thanks

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sraoo View Post
    I recently broke my strings on my VT 70 (BG80 at 22 lbs) and decided to restring at 23 lbs. When I initially started playing, my shots were inaccurate and my shoulder muscle was sore, but after a few days it recovered. Now I've gotten use to the higher tension, however, I feel I've lost power and I don't receive any feedback from my racket when I smash (where it feels like the repulsion of the string bed travels to your grip). Is this a clear indication I should lower my tension?
    Thanks
    even if you restring it at 22lbs, you'll feel that the stringbed is a bit stiffer, so you won't get as much power out of it as you did during the time before your string snapped. and after a while, the string tension had probably lost 1 maybe 2 lbs. so when you first play with 23lbs, it was a bit harder to get power out of it, but after a while, the tension dropped 1~2lbs, so now you're back to 22 or even 21lbs.

you shoulder hurt could means that you try to produce the same pace on your shots at a higher tension, so you push yourself harder. if this is your first time switching to higher tension, give your body a few months to get use to it. maintain the same strokes, but gradually expect increase in pace. if you force yourself too much you'll just hurt yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gundamzaku View Post
    even if you restring it at 22lbs, you'll feel that the stringbed is a bit stiffer, so you won't get as much power out of it as you did during the time before your string snapped. and after a while, the string tension had probably lost 1 maybe 2 lbs. so when you first play with 23lbs, it was a bit harder to get power out of it, but after a while, the tension dropped 1~2lbs, so now you're back to 22 or even 21lbs.

you shoulder hurt could means that you try to produce the same pace on your shots at a higher tension, so you push yourself harder. if this is your first time switching to higher tension, give your body a few months to get use to it. maintain the same strokes, but gradually expect increase in pace. if you force yourself too much you'll just hurt yourself
    Do you think playing with higher tensions while using nylon birds is ineffective? I decided to switch to nylon since my high school team uses them in tournaments.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nylon birds need 1-3 lbs less tension. Or you can compensate by hitting harder and faster.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Do you think playing with higher tensions while using nylon birds is ineffective? I decided to switch to nylon since my high school team uses them in tournaments.
    It's a good idea that u switched to nylon if u play in the school tournament so u can get used to the feel and flight of it!I think if u are using nylon birds consistently then there is no need to compare it with feathers because ur main focus will be on nylons. It would also be beneficial to u to play with the same kind of nylons when u practice or play outside of school if possible. In conclusion if u r just using nylons period, then u don't need to adjust ur tension! To get the similar feel I used to use yonex nylons with a red tape around the cork which indicates a fast speed shuttle! I find it most beneficial to me when changing between feather and nylons, but that's just me and the kind of game I play in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting racket restrung at 22 to see if there's a difference in power. Should play either today or tomorrow!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Getting racket restrung at 22 to see if there's a difference in power. Should play either today or tomorrow!
    good luck, keep us posted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good luck, keep us posted
    I played one session against weaker opponents, so naturally, I was less aggressive, but I noticed the lower tension gave me slightly more power. The "crispness" of the higher tension was lost and my shots don't feel as accurate; or it all maybe psychological.
    Last edited by sraoo; 01-04-2013 at 01:59 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I played one session against weaker opponents, so naturally, I was less aggressive, but I noticed the lower tension gave me slightly more power. The "crispness" of the higher tension was lost and my shots don't feel as accurate; or it all maybe psychological.
    no, no, that's a good observation and generally that is the case. since your string bounces more, it would take a bit more time to retrain your wrist for control shots. i would love to hear about you going all out on a smash shot when you do, and pls more details about that shot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have some slight timing issues with my smash since I haven't played consistently in a while, however, my clears are noticeably deeper and require less effort now (using nylon). If I were to use feather shuttles, it may be different

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have some slight timing issues with my smash since I haven't played consistently in a while, however, my clears are noticeably deeper and require less effort now (using nylon). If I were to use feather shuttles, it may be different
    What about ur smash shot, and I'm talking about the one where u go all out??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about ur smash shot, and I'm talking about the one where u go all out??
    I just finished playing a session with feather shuttles today and my "full-out" smash shots were impressive. Definitely an improvement from 23 lbs tension.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I just finished playing a session with feather shuttles today and my "full-out" smash shots were impressive. Definitely an improvement from 23 lbs tension.
    what are the differences between 23lbs and 22lbs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what are the differences between 23lbs and 22lbs?
    Personally, 22 lbs allows me to play confidently with increased shuttle speed, whereas 23 lbs limits my power.
    Last edited by sraoo; 01-09-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Personally, 22 lbs allows me to play confidently with increased shuttle speed, whereas 23 lbs limits my power.
    wow, that's sensitive, 1lb difference

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, that's sensitive, 1lb difference
    I personally would feel 1lb difference. I think it's more noticeable at higher tensions than at low tensions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I strung with BG 80 at 24/26lbs, and it was like hitting with a dead fish. I didnt like it at all. Some racket/string/tension combos are just not good. BG 80 is a very stiff string to start with - it may be better suited for 20ish for your particular racket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast