User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 26

Thread: string test

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    enschede
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Wink string test

    Hi there all,
    I 've ordered 4 kinds of strings:
    Yonex bg80Yonex bg80PYonex bg85
    And the string i normaly use the ashaway zymax 65.
    I like to test the string to see of the zymax is really 'my go to' string is.
    What are the main diffrences of the strings i 've ordered in terms of:
    Feel, durabillity, power, and wich is the hardest and softest of them all, i do string now on 21lbs with the zymax, is there a string that i should string at a different tension???

    Thanks for your responses.
    Oooh almost forgot to ask.I 've heard a lot of good comments on the Victor VS - 850, is it worth to give it a try?? And if it is, where on the internet can i get those (black because i looks mad sexy) LOL.

    Greetings Erik
    Last edited by smidsy1985; 12-25-2012 at 02:46 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,421
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    BG80 and BG85 will be almost exactly the same - both are hard, stiff strings with a rough surface. BG85 may - may - be slightly more powerful.

    BG80P is less stiff and has a unique coating, almost like hard rubber. Not rough like BG80, but gives good "traction" on the shuttle.

    The various parameters - power, feel etc - are down to your preference, but BG80P will probably be the most durable.

    VS850 is an outstanding string - very much along the lines of BG80 but with "more" of everything. Sadly, it loses tension faster than anything else I have tried (and I have tried a LOT). If you're going to try it, have it prestretched and string it 2 lb tighter than usual, then leave it for 24 hrs before use.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,951
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My experience is that BG-85 is "grippy-er" than BG-80. Perhaps it's a difference lost on tensions higher than my measly 22lb but the difference is perceptible (and preferable) to me. :-)

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    enschede
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So i can keep them on the same tension? Or should i do something different for these strings???
    The VS 850 is a good string, my only concern is the drop off in tension.
    Which of my ordered yonex strings have the less drop off and keeps the tension the best??
    Has anyone tested all 3 yonex strings i 've orderd and would be kind to share the comments???
    I think the Victor string doesn't suits me because the quick loss of tension, does it drop like the yonex bg66 um, because i tried that one and wasn't playable after a few day's
    Greetings
    Erik
    Last edited by smidsy1985; 12-25-2012 at 08:07 AM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,951
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Keep things simple. Test each string at the same tension you use now. Don't get hung up on too many details. Adjust only one variable at a time: In this case the string. Keep the tension, the stringer, and the racket( if possible) the same. Only then can you detect the differences between the strings. Remember, only your opinion matters in the end. :-). Have fun!

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    580
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    May I suggest you add GOSEN R4x100 string into the mix .... don't be surprised if it beats the lot on all the criteria you wanted and cheaper as well !!

    I was hung-up on Yonex strings for years since the advent of BG65 and BG66 and have tested the lot (except BG66Maxima and the CYbernatural series), now I will not use one UNLESS it is STRUNG FREE for me !! ( Coincidentally, when BG65 and BG66 came out, Gosen kind of stopped any proper R&D on badminton strings until recently. - note: Gosen used to the numero 1 on badminton strings !! )

    If I have to pay, I buy Gosen R4x100 ...

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,779
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    How long does the gosen last?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    580
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    How long does the gosen last?
    I strung it at 22x23lbs on my Cab20sp and I am now into my 4th week ... so far so good ...

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    enschede
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So the Gosen is also a good string can anyone agree with this option?? And in wich way is it different compared with the yonex strings, is it only the price or what are the different specifications along side the yonex strings.
    I know the Ashaway zymax 65 holds tension very well, how does the other strings hold there tensions??

  10. #10
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,508
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smidsy1985 View Post
    Hi there all,
    I 've ordered 4 kinds of strings:
    Yonex bg80Yonex bg80PYonex bg85
    And the string i normaly use the ashaway zymax 65.
    I like to test the string to see of the zymax is really 'my go to' string is.
    What are the main diffrences of the strings i 've ordered in terms of:
    Feel, durabillity, power, and wich is the hardest and softest of them all, i do string now on 21lbs with the zymax, is there a string that i should string at a different tension???

    Thanks for your responses.
    Oooh almost forgot to ask.I 've heard a lot of good comments on the Victor VS - 850, is it worth to give it a try?? And if it is, where on the internet can i get those (black because i looks mad sexy) LOL.

    Greetings Erik
    first you should try out the strings and feel it for yourself, then ask questions about the strings. if we give you whatever info first, then you go and test, you'll keep thinking about our suggestions in the back of your mind and the purity of the test is gone

    in order to truly test all the strings, i think you should do everything the same, same racket, same tension, same stringer, same stringing timeframe...etc.......that way, the only difference is probably just the string itself.

    i love vs850 so my opinion is biased and you should try it before allowing us to tell you how they feel. the only think i can tell you is that it is very different than the strings you've listed.

    have fun with it, and let us know what you've found

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    enschede
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    LOL, i've already played with the bg80 but can't remember really if it was my kind of string, played with the bg 66 um but it felt dead after a wile.
    I've played mostly with the zymax 65 but it's only lasting 1 month before it breaks, and i play 2 times a week for 3 hours at the time. I like the Zymax because it's retaining the tension so well, but i'm not 100 % sure it has got the feeling that i'm surging for.....
    (i'm playing btw with a Victor Brave Sword 10).
    (sorry for my bad english haha, i hope everybody knows what i mean... :P)

  12. #12
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,508
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smidsy1985 View Post
    LOL, i've already played with the bg80 but can't remember really if it was my kind of string, played with the bg 66 um but it felt dead after a wile.
    I've played mostly with the zymax 65 but it's only lasting 1 month before it breaks, and i play 2 times a week for 3 hours at the time. I like the Zymax because it's retaining the tension so well, but i'm not 100 % sure it has got the feeling that i'm surging for.....
    (i'm playing btw with a Victor Brave Sword 10).
    (sorry for my bad english haha, i hope everybody knows what i mean... :P)
    your english is fine, i just misunderstood you. in that case, maybe you should get a few of the same rackets and try a few strings at a time?

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    580
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smidsy1985 View Post
    So the Gosen is also a good string can anyone agree with this option?? And in wich way is it different compared with the yonex strings, is it only the price or what are the different specifications along side the yonex strings.
    I know the Ashaway zymax 65 holds tension very well, how does the other strings hold there tensions??
    Let me put it this way, GOSEN was making badminton strings before Yonex even understood what is a string ....

    RUMOURS (so I cannot confirm at all !!) have it that because Gosen focused more on domestic Japanese market and ignore the global market while Yonex went ahead and dominated it, soon, Yonex surpassed Gosen in size, name, popularity and financial clout until (here is the rumour) Yonex CONTRACTED some of Gosen's Japan factories to EXCLUSIVELY manufacture strings for Yonex on OEM basis !! Hence, Gosen strings went to the "wilderness" for a long time after the advent of BG65 and BG66 .... until the last few years, when Gosen "re-starts" to R&D and make some seriosuly world-class strings again ... the Techgut, BioRoot, Nanocubic, Multilade series ....

    I have tried the Multilade R4x100 (0.63 mm gauge) ... for me, it is a GREAT string ...

    The R4x200 (0.66mm) has been discontinued in production, so whatever is in the market are "leftovers" - that is the DIRECT CHALLENGER to Yonex mainstay BG66 and after having played with both, I put my money with R4x200.

    My "go to" string now is Gosen R4x100 ... the next one I want to try is the Gosen Nanocubic Nanomicro (0.66mm) - that is the Gosen version of the Yonex Nanogy ... let's see if it can outperform the equivalent Yonex string.

    I have tried the Zymax strings but I did not like them too much because of the "hard" metallic feeling that I felt, I prefer soft/medium feeling. This is another rumour (?) - what I ws told is that Gosen strings are FACTORY pre-stretched, so the loss of tension are significantly reduced compared to Yonex.

    Why my sudden switching away from Yonex (BACK TO Gosen) after decades of using YY strings esp BG65 and BG66 ? Simple ... I just got fed up on seeing WAY TOO MANY FAKE YONEX strings in Malaysian market until I am better off trying something else ... and lo behold, I am GLAD I DID CHANGE !!!

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    enschede
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hi there,
    I like the zymax strings mostly because the hold of tension and they are quite durable, i don't like them of the lack of feeling and i can't put my finger on it but they are missing "something". But you're really a big fan of the gosen string you almost getting me to order a set to test them myself.
    The 0.63 mm gauge of the Gosen R4x100 sounds like they aren't live long and will snap quick????
    Do you know any internetshop which ships the strings towards the netherland, and in which colours are the on the market??
    Greetings Erik

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    580
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smidsy1985 View Post
    Hi there,
    I like the zymax strings mostly because the hold of tension and they are quite durable, i don't like them of the lack of feeling and i can't put my finger on it but they are missing "something". But you're really a big fan of the gosen string you almost getting me to order a set to test them myself.
    The 0.63 mm gauge of the Gosen R4x100 sounds like they aren't live long and will snap quick????
    Do you know any internetshop which ships the strings towards the netherland, and in which colours are the on the market??
    Greetings Erik
    Well, my Gosen R4x100 (0.63mm) is strung at 21x22lbs and have lasted for more than 1 month and still going strong. It may be my style of play - stroke and rally singles player - rather than hard smashing high tension type.

    Extra info on the Gosen Multilade series (new packaging) :

    http://www.gosen-eng.jp/eng/racket/i...%20series.html

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    enschede
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ok I 'm sure of giving them a try, you confinced me ;-)
    But if I 'm want to test them... I need to buy them, where can i order a set?? And my preference would be a set of the black ones.I just can't find any internetstore who sells them.....

  17. #17
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,779
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Used to use Hy-sheep and Hy-O-sheep strings and I was very young those days

    Then BG65 came out.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •