Voltric 5

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by kelvin1338, Dec 25, 2012.

1. kelvin1338

kelvin1338 Regular Member

Student
    I'm an intermediate badminton player, and 14 years old, and my playing style is usually attacking but sometimes I play defensively too. I have been using a not very popular Hi-Qua 2070 racket for the past 7 years, and I would like to change racket. It is a head light racket and I have never used a head heavy racket before, but my friends say I can smash very well with the Hi Qua 2070.

After 1 week of research online, I came to a conclusion that I may buy the Voltric 5 after I read many reviews and found a good offer for it on amazon for £47.99.

For the people that's used Voltric 5, I would like to know, how heavy is it? My arms are slightly weak but only slightly. I have never used a head heavy racket before and I am concerned about it being too heavy for me to handle, (I play mostly singles though) Would I not get used to it after playing with head light rackets the my whole time?

I found that with the Hi Qua 2070, and normal conventional rackets, I had difficulty clearing the feather shuttle from my rear court to the opponents rear court, the shuttlecock seems to drop in the opponent's mid court, and I seem to be clash the frame of the racket with the shuttle quite often when doing drop shots, I am not sure if this is my problem or the rackets problem.

So far, the Voltric 5 seemed to be the perfect racket for me (Other than the fact that it is head heavy, but then again, I have never tried a head heavy racket before, and I might like it, might not), or are there any other yonex rackets which would be suitable for my style? I also tried to find a mid range nanoray/ arcsaber racket, and I found the Nanoray 80 and Arcsaber 008DX, but according to forums and reviews, many players preferred the Voltric 5 more than the Arcsaber 008DX, so I think now its just a decision between the Nanoray 80 and the Voltric 5.

My friends told me to find a demo racket store so I can try out the racket, but there are no local badminton stores nearby, so I have to buy it online.

So, my questions are: Would the Voltric 5 be ideal for me? I have read Paul Stewart's review of it and he said clearing it into the opponent's rear court and smashes were effortless, and drop shots were also good. I would also like a stronger smash, which the Voltric 5 seemed to be capable of according to many reviews too, or would the Nanoray 80 be more suitable for me as I have only ever used head light rackets and it would be easier for me to get used to?

2. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

If you have only been used to head-light racket, then switching over to head-heavy balance will take some getting-used-to. Also the racket flex will play a big part in your feel for the racket. However, Voltric 5 is fast to maneuver even though head-heavy. Whether VT 5 will be ideal for you depends on whether you can train with it, and make adjustments in your technique for the heavier swing weight.

If you are in doubt, try moving up to even balance racket such as Arcsaber (may be 002). The reason I'm suggesting a low-priced racket is because if your decision ends up being wrong, you won't lose much money on it. Good luck!

3. SyamzariVoltric

SyamzariVoltric Regular Member

Optometrist
    I used voltric 5 before.. If you are mid-range player, it's easy for u to get used it.. for me, it worth buy .. :cool:

4. darpanchoudhary

darpanchoudhary Regular Member

student
    I am also using the voltric 5.Initially i used the isometric zeta which is supposed to be flexible and either even balance or head light.It took me almost 4 weeks to get myself adjusted to my voltric 5(because of its medium flex),but now I feel comfortable playing with it.So you will need time to get used to it but yes it is worth buying ,you will feel the difference in your smashes,clears with the Voltric 5.

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    if you have been using the same racket for 7 years and you still can't clear from backline to backline and you deemed as an intermediate player, then you really need to work on your strength. either your form is wrong, or you just need to get stronger.

if you have been using the same racket for 7 years and you still hit the shuttle with the frame of your racket when you hit drop shots, you need to work on your drop shots. have someone just hit clears for you so you can hit drops if it's a back court drop. have someone toss shuttles near the net if it's a net drop shot.

based on your description, the problem is not the racket, it's you.

if you must get a new racket, best thing to do is to try out different rackets. if you have any intermediate friends it should be easy to just borrow one of their rackets and hit a few, then you'll know the difference between head heavy, even balance, and head light rackets.

of course putting your age into consideration, you still have a lot to grow, unless some of us who are actually too old to play (me). so don't force yourself too hard physically. do your best, and allow your body to grow naturally into the sport. lastly, have patience. since you're already an intermediate player, improvements will come in smaller increments and sometimes you won't notice it, but you'll be able to prove it in a game. good luck :)

6. FOOSAG

FOOSAG New Member

When you see young kids being able to clear the shuttle with ease, then it's probably your technique that's incorrect. I have a friend who can clear with little effort, whether he uses a head light or head heavy racket or a $50 racket or a $250 racket.

The important thing is finding a racket that fits your playing style, and it should feel like an extension of your arm. After that, get some advice from friends who are advanced players or from a coach. Your skill should definitely increase after you know the proper technique.

7. farmerokbag

farmerokbag New Member

yeah,think so,It took me almost 4 weeks to get myself adjusted to my voltric 5.[​IMG]

8. Firefly

Firefly Regular Member

Hi Kelvin!

Firstable: You have to be sure of your own techniques and your own body to choose the right racket!
    You told us that you cant hit the shuttle from baseline to baseline with your old racket. sorry, but its not a question of the racket, its a question of technique. there are 6-7 years old boys and girls in china who can do this. really!
    i don't want to sound arrogant to you Kelvin, but please let me tell you something about technique:

If you can't hit the shuttlecock from baseline to baseline, try to haul off und swing OUT more. the most important thing about this is, that the power (the power grip) must do in the MIDDLE of the shot and then let your racket go to the shuttlecock and FEEL what you do!!! you can't feel very much if you press the juice out of your grip till the end of the swing!!! thats the biggest secret in length about badminton i think! also use your ELBOW to adjust the direction of the shot! length also is often is the key to win (nearby effective, steep drop shots)! if you have a good length in your shots, the shuttlecock will be take more time after your opponent shot is till it is again at you! so you have MORE TIME! the second thing is: a steep drop shot is the most effektive shot in badminton i think! those shots cant be smashed by your opponent, thats a fact! because the shuttle is under the top of the net, so your opponent have to lift it UP. and when he do this .... you have to take out your heavy artillery. i can tell you so much more, but i'm not sure that you want to hear that ;-)

9. Firefly

Firefly Regular Member

I've tested my new Voltric 5 yesterday evening in training and must say: great racket! Though i've said to the racket shop that they may string it with 11 kg, it feels more like 9 kg ... very strange. However, after a short period of testing the racket worked great! Huge Power in every shot without any effort. I felt that the medium flex suits more to me compaired to the Voltric 50 which is very stiff and more head heavy.
    The voltric 5 is head heavy too, but you can "narrow it down a bit" by upgrade your grip ;-)
    I had i nice touch with this racket and really a huge smash which came down like a lightning bolt to our opponents. Although i've had to say that i allways have a good touch in my shots, so it may be that other players feel different about the response of the racket.
    In summary i can absolutely recommend this racket. It works great and for this price its the sale of the century :)

10. Belgian

Belgian Regular Member

student
    Does anyone know what's the difference between the voltric 5 and the voltric 5 pro?

11. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    just a friendly reminder that Paul could probably clear baseline to baseline with minimal effort, but it is always safe to say that a head heavy racket will help a bit with power given everything else constant...i guess. :)

12. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Kelvin, I happen to have voltric 5 and nanoray 80 and have been playing with them for a while. I believe it is better off for you to get the voltric 5. I am assuming that you are a boy and still growing. The voltric 5 is a very good racket and it is not too head heavy for a young boy. If you can't clear from baseline to baseline, nanory 80 will not of much help.