Racket Variety

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by bluejeff, Oct 19, 2003.

1. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Today, I was thinking about one thing about my racket collections.

I was thinking, perhaps, I should just keep my varieties of rackets down, but just buying a lot of the same rackets. This way, I wouldn't need to adapt to the new rackets everytime I switch rackets and have more back-up rackets. :)

For example, " IF " I have:
    1x Yonex MP100 (3U)
    2x Yonex MP99 (3U)
    1x Yonex MP88 (4U)
    1x Yonex MP77 (3U)
    1x Yonex MP66 (3U)
    1x Yonex ISO-TISP-SR (4U)
    1x Yonex Cab-20L (2U)
    1x Yonex Cab-30MS (3U)
    1x Yonex Ti-10 (3U)
    -> Total of 10 Rackets

Perhaps I should make it to be:
    3x Yonex MP100 (3U)
    3x Yonex MP99 (3U)
    1x Yonex MP88 (4U)
    2x Yonex MP77 (3U)
    1x Yonex Cab-30MS (3U)
    -> Still Total of 10 Rackets

What do you guys think? :)

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    agree. if you look at ppl's profiles. they tend to have 3x of the same racket instead of 1x of different rackets as you mentioned.

and even if there is a mix, it will be say of different type of Iso rackets instead of mixing Iso and Cabs etc..

3. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I think it depends. If you aren't sure what you like it's worthwhile to buy a few different types to see for youself. Just borrowing it a few times isn't enough (for me anyway) because racquets feel different as you become more accustomed to it.

If you've already discovered what you like (weight, balance, headshape, stiffness) then you're not going to be buying other kinds, and hence 80% of the possible racquets is elminated from your choices and thus you'll only consider between a few different models anyway.

Thus the people you see with 3 or 6 similar racquets mostly came there through a process of self discovery rather than a concerted effort to get identical racquets.

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I agree with Bluejeff and Kwun, recently I am sure that I like the AT700 so have bought 4. I have spent the last two years looking for a racket to replace my Carlton 85g and have found it, I think.

The problem is that when a manufacturer ie Carlton brings out a racket you like, the next seasons racket IS different, so I think the best thing to do is stock up with the one you feel most comfortable with because re-issues are not the same as the original.

But like BRL suggests this is a process that has taken me 2 years and the first few times I tried the AT700 it felt different everytime and now it does not feel as head heavy as when I first used it although I think I am getting used to it.

5. huijun

huijun Regular Member

engineer
    These days, I am back to my old rackets cab-21 and cab-22. I find I am very happy with them because they give me more feeling and power . But two years ago, I found I were more comfortable with Iso rackets. As my skill improved, I change back to Cab rackets. This is my personal experiences. If you want to sell some rackets, I am interesting in Cab-20L.....:D . I assume you have Cab 30MS. Would you give us a review of this racket? I am also interesting in this racket.....:)

6. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Re: Re: Racket Variety

Ah-ha, see, it's easy to be addicted on buying more rackets:D , so I guess now my gf and my mom should not blame me:p

I don't have the Cab-30MS yet, but I will get one once I am done with school this quarter. I also don't have the MP-66 and Ti-10 yet, and I guess I will not get them anyway (or probably just get the Ti-10 only).

To me, buying some rare rackets is more like a collection use, however, sometimes I still play with those. However, the list keeps on growing and it's affecting to my plays due to too many rackets types. That's why I think I should focus on some certain rackets.