what's the quickest way to get rid of soreness in muscles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gundamzaku, Dec 27, 2012.

1. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    usually after playing 4 straight hours of badminton with very little break in between, like last night, my body is sore, from the shoulers down to my feet. mind you that this is muscle soreness, and not pain, so it's not anything bad. but somehow, as i am getting older, the soreness stays with me longer. it used to be just half a day when i was 19, now that i'm 34, it stays with me for at least a day if not longer.

in order to get rid of soreness, i have been told to drink more water, stretch a lot more right after i play, sleep, hot shower, and a massage. i know that professional cyclsts have these pressurized suits they wear when they go to sleep and the next morning, they are ready to ride another 100mi.

what is your experience with soreness and how do you cope with it besides the obvious, to "deal with it"?

2. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I tend to drink a recovery drink that has a lot of carbs and a bit of protein which comes in the form of a milkshake. Powerbar Recovery is good. Plenty of stretching after playing helps a lot to. Showering in cold water helps reduce any bruising. Age happens to us all!

#2 diverdan, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  3. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    "pain is weakness leaving the body"... HOO-RAH! Drop down and gimme 20!

4. gundamzaku

working professional
    thank you, i'll look into recovery drinks and probably try to stretch after playing for the first time :)

but doesn't showering in cold water constrict the muscles a bit, which hurts even more???

5. tigerlam92

tigerlam92 Regular Member

ROFL!!!

When I first started, less pain now, I would always played so hard that I can't even move when I get home. When it was really bad I soaked myself in Epsom salt in my bathtub/jacuzzi. I used a lot of Chinese ointment as well. These allowed me to play hard five times a week. Not a good idea, but I also take an Alleve as well. The problem with this is that you may missed true sign of pain that your body is telling you. Also some light work out is good as well to loosen it up.

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Sage advice. I'll pass that gem on to the next pregnant lady in 12 hours of labour without anesthesia. Oh, the laughter that will ensue. :cool:

@ gundamzaku: The only thing I'd add is that your stretching and sleep and water are important every day, not just on game day. Muscles that are supple and strong already are less likely to suffer after exercise. Best o' luck.

7. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    This is aging my friend. Ask me again in 10 years.

8. forumer

forumer Regular Member

I used to have the same problem and it lasted for 2~3 days. It wasn`t until i come across dark cherry juice in the internet. I started by drinking 2 cups per day for one mths and the soreness was much much reduced. Nowadays im drinking 2 tbs twice daily as maintenance.I assured u that its not placebo effect, its is supported with clinical evidences. You can google n find that iys also laden with other health benefits. Here cheers to ur good health!!!

9. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

acupuncture and full body massage... :)

good compression wear helps too

10. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Using cold water is supposed to stimulate blood flow and therefore will be more effective at removing lactic acid build up and reduce any swelling. Ideally using an ice bath is best. Failing that a dip in a cold pool or a cold shower will help.

The need to stretch post exercise especially when you get older is a must and a typical routine only takes 15mins. I would also recommend stretching everyday to help loosen you up. :D

11. gundamzaku

working professional
    i started wearing compression shorts since a year ago and they soreness diminished on my thighs, but am i suppose to wear full body compression suit to take away all the soreness???

i have to start stretching, but that's when laziness kicks in and stretching goes out the window and pain comes in!!!

12. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

yes, esp the ones with happy endings :D

13. gundamzaku

working professional
    that's what she said!