User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to say thanks to the guys who suggested buying some cheap string to practice with. I owe you all a pint. I've done a whopping 5 restrings. It's been interesting with a very steep learning curve.

My main issues are that I tend to miss a cross weave and only find out when I come to thread a shared hole. It's a real pain in the ... ! I'm sure I will get better at this over time.

I have had a few teething problems with the machine. I have had to remove the ratchet system as it is too stiff and doesn't allow the tensioning arm to lower properly. I have also noticed that the fixed clamps sometimes move when the string is released from the tensioning arm. It is only a matter of 5mm. Is this enough to cause concern? I have a feeling it is as 5mm over the whole racket would soon mount up and the desired tension won't be reached. I have been in touch with the supplier so awaiting their recommendation.

Looking forward to getting to tie a knot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fixed clamps do move (some) when the tensioner is released and the clamps take the pulled tension of the strings itself. Really good machines probably dont move at all, but for budget machines, some will. But they should be back to its original position when the next string is pulled so it does negates itself out that way.

But to minimize the movement, do make sure that the slots containing the clamps are tightly screwed onto the base (brake lever) on the rails. That will probably help.

Good luck^^

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ckyew View Post
    Fixed clamps do move (some) when the tensioner is released and the clamps take the pulled tension of the strings itself. Really good machines probably dont move at all, but for budget machines, some will. But they should be back to its original position when the next string is pulled so it does negates itself out that way.

But to minimize the movement, do make sure that the slots containing the clamps are tightly screwed onto the base (brake lever) on the rails. That will probably help.

Good luck^^
    The only time the "slack" in fixed clamp bases matters is with the last string; all other times the movement is countered when the next string is pulled.

Just make sure the clamp is as close to the frame as possible when tying your knots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi

I totally agree with you on the quality of the fixed clamps. On the cheap machines a movement can be significant.

If the problem is in the base - you need to adjust the locking mechanism so it locks base of a clamp on the rail securely.

In fixed clam has a play in the middle - it is due to the fact that the hole in the base are too big for the top part of the clamp. But there is a simple way to eliminate that problem - just try to first put the fixed clamp in to the position, then clamp the base, then push and hold the top part of a clamp to the direction the string will pull it after the tension will be released and then clamp the string. It is not the fastest way - but it helps you to be consistent with every pull.

Hope this helps

Valentinas

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've sent the machine back to the supplier as we both think it is substandard in build and assembly. There was too much tweaking on my side for it to be worth the money. I can't fault the supplier in the slightest. They have been really good. They suggested buying a drop weight Premium Stringer. Does anyone have any experience of this machine?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3