Stringing @ 30lbs for a beginners first try

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by diverdan, Dec 27, 2012.

1. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Hi BC. I wanted to ask some the experienced stringers on the forum whether a beginner can string a racket at 30lbs and make a good job of it?

I want to get into stringing as I like experimenting with different tensions and strings but I don't have any experience at all.

Would may racket be safe?

I was thinking of going with the Pro's Pro Challenger drop weight as it seems more accurate than a crank and has a 6 point mounting system instead of just the 2.

I would also like to ask about prestretching a string. I have gone through BC's archives and found that opinion is divided on whether it is a good idea or not. Some members say do it as it reduces tension drop but others say it decreases the characteristics of the string including the repulsion value. What are your thoughts?

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

As far as high tensions go, I would work up to it. IME, high tensions are safest with fast and consistent technique. I started at 24, move up to 26 after ten or so jobs, then 28, then 30, my current goto (and I do the odd 32 now and again). Once you can do a racket well in under 45 mins, you can probably have a go.

Prestretch - I swear by it, but then high tension users like me will notice the "first-night-falloff" more than anybody else. I'd rather have tension consistency than big starting power.

3. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    What he said. Also, try to limit your tension to 27-28 for the top cross (last cross in my case since I string bottom up). Let's say I do a racquet at 32 lbs, when I reach the last few crosses, I drop down a pound at every cross to end up with 27-28 at the final one.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I do two-piece top-down, and I start my crosses at 28 and "fade in" - one pound at a time - until I reach the desired cross tension.

5. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I haven't got any rackets to practice on for lower tensions is it feasable I could do a good job on my MX80 @ 30lbs using a .66 string? There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube on the different methods and hole use but I don't want to mess it up and break my racket. At the moment I restring about twice a month, generally after a string goes, but I can feel the bed going off before that and would want to restring more often.

Interesting you both have different methods on the crosses. Do stringers do the same for the pro's?

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The M80 will go way past 30, so it's a good practise racket. I wouldn't use 0.66, though; try 0.70 first.

IME, tournament stringers tend to go bottom-up, but I've done tournament rackets top-down. Most players don't really care as long as you get the tension right.

7. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    There will be various stringing techniques. What's important is that you get a 6 point mount machine with the side supports properly adjusted at the correct load bearing locations. You should also use load spreaders at 12 and 6 o'clock.

As for reference, I'm using the Mutual Power with the Wise head, no prestretch, constant pull, two piece top down method and the sky's the limit as far as tension goes with even tension on both mains and crosses.

8. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Trouble is my budget will only stretch to £300 so a WISE is out of the question. What tools would you recommend for stringing to 30lbs?

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Something with fixed clamps and six point support is, IMO, a must.

A load spreader wouldn't go amiss either.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    hmm, your budget seems a bit low. I would advise being flexible with the budget as you intend to go to high tensions. It's a one off purchase. I would be concerned that a cheaper machine increases the possibility of racquets breaking when going to high tensions.

11. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I have looked at a few machines and the Pros Pro Challenger 2 looks ok?

12. Smautf

Smautf Regular Member

I started with a Pros Pro Challenger 2 earlier this year - no real problems, but you might want to consider acquiring a set of Chudek side supports (search BC for details). Once you start using the machine you'll see why they make a difference, although it is perfectly possible to carry on with the standard supports.

I'd work your way up to 30lbs - it takes just a few goes to work out what's happening in the stringing process, and you may well break a string or two before you achieve success, and it is even possible (I can vouch for this...) to break a racket if you're not very experienced or careful.

Be patient and you'll get there. I'd recommend keeping a log of all the rackets you've strung. Buying a cheap tension meter is also something you might consider - I got one off Amazon for £3.95. Experiment with different strings - I found ZM67 to be quite OK to use for a newbie to stringing. Be overcautious with your starting knot (2-piece stringing) - my early ones were too small with disastrous results. Even if the knot is large and ugly, this is better than the knot slipping. You can learn to tidy up the knot as you get more experience.

Practice your skills by restringing your own rackets even if the original strings have not broken and are quite new. If you like a particular type of string, buy a large 200m reel - this will make stringing much cheaper for you. Thin strings will break more often than thicker strings and so will give you more chances to string your rackets.

smautf

#12 Smautf, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  13. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Thanks smautf. I will only be restringing my rackets. I have 2 MX80's and an SW35. So Im not worried about them breaking. I currently use VS650 string @ 30lbs so will be looking to restring at that tension straight away. I will experiment but I am in the middle of a league season. Changing the clamps seems like a good idea though.

14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

You should be able to get a Pro's Pro Pilot for three hundred quid from W&D Strings. Everything you would need for hihg badminton tensions.

15. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Thanks Mark. I wasn't sure whether to get a crank or drop weight. There's a nice looking Premium drop weight on the website too. From what I've read cranks don't constant pull whereas a drop weight does which is better for accuracy. Is this correct?

16. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Dropweights will give the more accurate tension, but they're a lot slower. You can compensate for the variation of the crank with consistent technique (and frequent recalibration).

I'd say six point support is the most important thing for high tension, so if you're not bothered about going slow, get the Premium dropweight.

17. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

I started with the Challenger before going for the WISE after a period of time. And I can genuine say that the guys above are giving the right advise by trying to steer you away from doing your rackets at 30lbs right off the bat!!!:cool:

If you're experienced, then why not, but if you've not got any stringing experience, I along with the others wont recommend you start anywhere near 30. Massive plus points for you as you've got very strong rackets to start with. 24 would probably be a good starting tension with your MX80 and SW35. But with your 80 having really complicated stringing patterns with 80 holes if you follow Victor's instructions to the dot, you'll find yourself facing problems.

300GBP would easily have got you the challenger machine, decent tools and probably even a reel of very decent strings to start with.

Good luck!!!:)

18. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    My problem is I will never get experience stringing at lower tensions unless I get some cheap strings and then cut them. :crying:

19. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

I personally think stringing is a type of Art. You need to constantly practice and brush up on new techniques and so on to improve. There's no way that you'll instantly be able to do it right perfectly (speed wise, technique wise, timing wise, etc...) the first time round.

There's no short cut to it basically...:p

20. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I do have an old Cab 25 which I can sacrifice so could get some cheap strings and practice. Cheers guys. You have given me good advice. Next step is getting the right tools. Ill research BC.