Athlete of the Year

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by pcll99, Dec 28, 2012.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Who in your opinion is the Athlete of the Year for 2012?

My vote goes to Wang XL for two reasons:

(1) for her sacrifice during Uber 2012. She was not told about the situation of her grandmother.
    (2) for what happened to her during the Olympics. She was just following order from the top.

2. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    u mean the sacrifice the most (player) of the year?

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    well, i was in fact thinking of something similar to Time's Person of the Year who "for better or for worse, ...has done the most to influence the events of the year."

4. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

For this year, no one is better than Li XueRui.

Lin Dan is in a class of his own. But this is the year of Li XueRui.

5. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    my vote to gangnam style:p
    just joke
    will vote for my biased
    TTY
    haha

for ms
    my vote for peter!

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

My sentiments exactly. The year 2012 belongs to Lin Dan and Li Xuerui, and my vote goes to Li Xuerui, beautiful !

Lin Dan's magnificent achievement, capping it with double Olympic gold was historic yet not totally unexpected. Whereas Li Xuerui's astonishing feat coming from almost nowhere to win Olympic gold and become world number one, all within one year, was fantastic, mind-blowing,astounding... - what more can I say,I'm speechless.

7. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    My vote goes to Saina Nehwal in the women's singles .. Wonderful girl.:).
    In Men's Singles, i vote for Lee Chong Wei.. Marvellous guy. Nobody else come close to these two..:D

Both are excellent in terms of history making in their respective countries :) . Hence these two people should be referred as "The Atheletes of the Year"

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I have no doubt those two are the top in their respective countries. I had assumed the OP was referring to across the whole world for badminton.:)

Can't disagree with LXR and LD.

9. dieter_spath

dieter_spath Regular Member

The year is for Li xuerui, nine titles, word number one(both for word ranking and superseries ranking), incredible win-lose records. She makes a history for WS
    For MS, I vote for Lee chong Wei. Lin Dan plays so few matches though he won the olympic gold medal.

10. Granum

Granum Regular Member

LXR for sure; she and WYH have pretty much dominated WS this year the same way that LD and LCW had in the past

11. jkkwongnz

jkkwongnz Regular Member

doctor
    I vote LXR for female athlete of the year with nine titles including all the big ones (all England, Uper cup, Olympic and super series finals) in a year. I don't think anybody come close to her. ZYL will be the runner up by winning the double olympics gold medal in London. As for Male athlete of the year, I vote Lin Dan for sure. Although he played fewer matches, he won most of the big ones including All England (5X), Thomas cup (5X) and olympic ( the only male player defended the title in the history). Lee Chong Wei came second with two premier super series titles. I must say Lee chong wei's season was marred by injuries.

12. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    Saina only 3 - 4 titles in 2012, also only bronze in OG, and failed to win India SS :p. Li Xuerui won 8 titles, include London OG and India SS, where Saina as the host player only can reach round 2 :p
    LD and CL also impressive in 2012
    in terms of history making in their respective countries, it is Lin Dan, Zhao Yunlei, Cai Yun / Fu Haifeng that really deserved for the "the athlete of the year" award compare to LCW and Saina :p

#12 Fortune, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  13. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    First of all, i wanna wish you a wonderful New Year ahead with all your dreams got fulfilled :). No Problem, you give the award to your favourite . Yeah, Ofcourse , she won a gold medal which was not the only one china has got in the history of badminton women's singles :p . Whereas if you consider saina and Lee Chong wei , they are history makers in badminton which nobody has done before respectively for their country :). I feel that would be a proud moment to cheer about and wonderful thing to think about. I really appreciate these two marvelous guys who are really fantastic :).

No Problem, if you still wanna give it to your favourite, Come on, just do it . :):D;). I dont have anything to it.
    Still according to me, ONLY Saina and Lee Chong Wei are the best :)..

#13 scorpion1, Jan 1, 2013
  14. hashdam

hashdam Regular Member

Lol love how deluded you are.

15. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    thank you.
    that is the fact. not bcoz she is my fav player. Can you tell me, what is Saina's achievement that was better than LXR in 2012 ?
    she won the 4th OG gold medal for China in WS. That is also a history :p
    Russian WD makes history for their country in OG. Bo/Mo also makes history for Denmark in OG by winning silver...DEN first medal in OG at MD. so they (Bo/Mo and RUS WD) deserved for the award also ?
    no problem, you can give it to your favourite. Lin Dan is impressive in 2012, that's why he can lead China to win 5th consecutive Thomas Cup titles plus set the world record, becoming the first MS that can win 5 Thomas Cup final matches, and also the first MS that can win 2 OG gold medals. for details, see post #3357.

#15 Fortune, Jan 1, 2013
  16. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    Zhao Yunlei : the first player to win 2 OG golds in 1 OG edition. Cai / Fu : China's first MD champion in OG, that makes China as the only country that can win all 5 golds in OG, plus the fact that Cai / Fu victory seals China supremacy by clean sweep all golds in 2012 London Olympics. Lin Dan : see post #3357, plus the world #1 status again from June to Sept 2012, and also the first MS that can win 5 TC final matches. http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...n-Dan-(-林丹-)?p=1955325&highlight=#post1955325
    no problem, you can give it to your fav player, though the fact proves that LD and LXR was better than LCW and Saina in 2012 :D:p

#16 Fortune, Jan 1, 2013
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Simply put, in 2012, Lin Dan is inimitable, Li Xuerui is monumental.

Either of them in their own way fully deserves to be Athlete of The Year based purely on their unmatched achievements. Since I've to choose one, my choice is Li Xuerui because she did it all at one go within the year and in only her third year in the international circuit - 8 titles including the Olympic Gold (9 if you include the Uber Cup where she played only two matches), and world number one in BWF ranking and SS standing, and not forgetting her amazing run of consecutive match victories.

In other words, Li Xuerui's record in one year is what would take a handful of players 3 to 5 years to attain with the exception of maybe Wang Yihan who came close (7 titles in one year?), some players 5 to 10 years to acquire, and the rest never in their entire career.

Just think,if Eriko Hirose had won the All-England in 2011 instead of Wang Shixian, and then nothing else after that, today her fans would still be singing her praises. And Juliane Schenk took how many years to win her first and only SS title, the SG Open? And Tai TY who started about the same time as Li Xuerui, won only the Japan Open SS, in the absence of the Chinese.

Imagine,if Li Xuerui were to be from any other country, how she would be feted, idolised, worshipped. But in China,she is just one among several across many sports; in badminton there is still Lin Dan, in table-tennis Zhang Jike and Li Xiaoxia, in swimming Sun Yang, in diving He Zhi, in...the list goes on.

Not only that, because Li Xuerui won Olympic gold at such a young age at her first attempt and without having won many other titles yet, she has to face some grudging praise, even mild criticisms bordering on denials from a few voices, so much so that she humbly acknowledged her good fortune and promised she would work much harder to prove herself worthy by garnering as many titles as possible within the shortest possible time. And,gosh, she did it by end of the year in a mere three months after the LOG, excluding the one month lull period. Anymore doubters,sceptics,cynics,deniers ?