Achilles tendon rupture How long before back on Court?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by toomanyracquets, Dec 28, 2012.

1. toomanyracquets

toomanyracquets Regular Member

Logistics for Caterpillar
    So back in September, on the clubs first night open after the summer my wife completely ruptured her achilles heel. I was sitting behing and heard an almighty snapping noise, looked up to see my wife looking at her foot not knowing what had happened. Next thing you know she cant walk because the tendon has completely snapped in two. Fast forward to now and she had surgery, she is walking again, albeit with a limp. The surgeon has be so random and has given widely varying estimates of when she will be back training even.So has anyone had this injury or knows someone that has had this same injury and surgery?She isn't soft and didn't even complain of any pain at the time and it is maybe worth mentioning that only 6 months before this happened she had surgery on the other ankle to remove scar tissue and to shorten a ligament from an old injury.(I know if she was a horse someone would of shot her)Cheers for the info guys

2. toomanyracquets

toomanyracquets Regular Member

Logistics for Caterpillar
    Apologies for the big block of text. I did use paragraphs, so I do not know why it came out like that.

3. phili

phili Regular Member

A friend of mine suffered from a ruptured achilles back in June. She had a doctors appointment today and he said she can now start slowly with some jogging or exercise at the gym. Badminton however still has to wait.
    I guess now it is up to her to say what she can do and what she can't.

4. KayakerSteve

KayakerSteve Regular Member

911 Dispatcher
    I have seen 7 ruptured achilles tendons (touch wood, never my own). The quickest recovery to being back on court was 7 months, the norm is 12 months the worst I ever saw was a player who has never fully recovered 7+ years now.

Interesting point is nobody has ever known what has just happened to them, in fact that often asking "What happened, did somebody hit me" then go to the ground if they aren't there already.

5. hon910

hon910 Regular Member

I had my surgery in february 2012, rehab took me 4 months and I went for physiotherapy as well.
    With guided exercise to do at home, so I started to do some light running & jumping as part of my physiotherapy exercise. I started to play basketball once a week since January.

For me, I am took a little longer to be safe and now I am going back to badminton but have been busy & also not fully confident yet because I will start to think of that few months of rehabs that is so unconvenient.

6. other

other Regular Member

Student
    I had surgery in June 2013 for ruptured tendon, was given the all clear to do gym and exercising by my physio in Jan 2014. I'm doing 'taking it easy' badminton 1-2 times a fortnight, and being careful about jumping and putting weight through that foot.

The range of motion is all back, but the strength is still lacking when compared to the good side, so that needs extra exercises!

To reply to your question, the physio is probably the best person to check with regarding exercise and returning to badminton.

oh..i didn't see the date stamp for the thread...lol

#6 other, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  7. player123

player123 Regular Member

Take it easy. Don't rush back to court. This injury is terrible so is rehabilitation. There is no time limit. Assume minimum of 1 year and when start playing very lightly, no jumping and all.

8. player123

player123 Regular Member

Primary focus should be to start walking without support and then exercise to strengthen and get body balance back.