Running

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by quangster, Dec 28, 2012.

1. quangster

quangster Regular Member

N/A
    When im playing, I run around a lot, but when the easy shots come, my legs feel dead and dont move for them. What's wrong with me? What should i do to get rid of this?

2. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

I think you mean that you slack when you face easy shot? I sometimes do that, but mostly in late games like playing after 3~4hours, and this means that you didn't fully concentrate on the game or should i say focus. If i felt that i'm slacking, i will sat down for a short moment, shake my head for like 1~2 sec, and i'm fully refreshed, maybe getting some drinks work too! Hope it helps :D

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    maybe you always run around the court a lot retrieving many shots and by the time you get a chance for a kill you mess up because you're already out of energy?

if that's the case, then you want to work on your stamina as well as your footwork. learn to move efficiently on the court with the correct footwork, and also work on your stamina so you can move on the court longer than you do now.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Perhaps you haven't learnt the rhythm changes in footwork. In fact, how would you rate your footwork? Have you done footwork training before under a coach?

5. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there,

Running a lot while playing does not necessarily indicate that you have the correct footwork technique. Regardless if your movements is able to cover every length of the court or retrieve every birdie sent by the opponent but your initial foot movements and it's subsequent follow up movements seems to be sluggish then its highly that your technique of movements is not correct. The key criteria in regards about the correct footwork movements is about:

1. Process - Movements that allow you to reach the birdie at the earliest
    opportunity
    Effect - By able to reach the birdie at the earliest opportunity, the chances
    to deliver a winning shot or an opportunity for a winning shot is
    greater

2. Process - Movements that allow you to reach the birdie while on balance
    Effect - While moving on balance, the risk of injury is reduce and the ability to
    momentum yourself for the next movement is quicker

3. Process - The correct technique and selection of movements used
    Effect - Combined this with all the above processes, your movements will be
    effortless as minimum energy used but with positive results as your
    reaches is at optimum distances.

4. Process - Quickly locating your optimal base location after every shot
    Effect - By locating your optimal base location, your effort to follow up your
    next following shot will be easier as your distances of reach is
    optimal

5. Process - Able to fluently synchronize effectively your movements with your
    peripheral vision
    Effect - By fully aware of your opponents movements, its easier for you to
    decide strategically what is the next best possible shot that can
    deliver that winning point

6. Process - The ability to effectively coordinate your respiratory breathing
    pattern efficiently with you physical movements demands
    Effect - To maintain the highest state of physical fitness

Detecting what are the flaws in your movements and quickly correcting it is critically important because if you constantly have a sluggish footwork then, it will be hard work for you on court while playing. Experiencing the condition that you're stating now is one of the many indicators that you need to train your footwork movements in order to gain that precious agility in all aspect of your movements so that your footwork movements can comply all the key criteria as stated above.

The only way for you to improve that agility in any of your movements is through frequent, dedicated hard work footwork training and preferably with a guidance from a coach or a player that is knowledgeable about footwork training. If you want to improve much about how you play badminton then improving your footwork is very important and should be your priority and there is no short cut. I've made a thread in regards about improving footwork that you can read for references: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...nton-Footwork-–-Improve-your-Speed?highlight=

SS

6. vixter

vixter Regular Member

It's called "choking when you finally get the chance to score" I think :p

If its really footwork that is the problem, well, just take some short fast steps instead of the long running ones

7. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i did have the guts to say what you said, LOL