Cheapest Stringing Machines?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Matt Ross, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi all,

Just wonderin if anyone knew of a cheap, but effective stringing machine for a cheap price? Lookin at perhaps getting one for xmas and wondered of anyone had any suggestions for me.

Cheers
    Matt

2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Peoples view on "cheap" can vary, what sort of money were you talking? What spec?

3. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Hey Matt. I think the most affordable brand for string machines is probably Eagnas. However, some people find that their machines are not quite as good as what other companies have to offer.

(For the record, I'm happy with my Eagnas machine. However, in retrospect, I think I would feel safer if I had a 6-support machine instead.)

-Rick

4. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

Not really in the stringing know-how just yet :). However, perhaps below 200 GBP? Or is this wishful thinking?

Matt

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    better to get a cheap one to start out and learn.
    If you later find out you like stringing, you can decide to get a good machine.
    If you later find out you dislike stringing, your loss is wouldn't be that great.
    I know couple of stringers dropped their stringing endeavor for various reason.
    The notion of stringing yourself may have its appeal at first but once they have done a few, they could change their mind.

#5 cooler, Oct 20, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2003
  6. Rohly

Rohly Regular Member

This one is $89. I think that is pretty cheap.

Attached Files:

7. Traum

Traum Regular Member

That's a Hawk 10 in the picture. If all you'll ever string are badminton racquets, you can get the Hawk 15 for as little as US$65 (plus shipping, of course).

-Rick

8. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I think that Matt might want to go to a 4 or 6 point machine as I believed that his normal string tension is above 26lbs for which a 2 point machine is not the best.

200 pounds is about US$340 so you might be able to get a good portable or table-top machine (drop weight) for that amount.

Check out http://www.racquettech.com/links.html for a link to companies/shops that sells stringing machines.

9. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi all,

Would anyone reccomend the Hawk 15? It seems rather simple to me in its design.

Matt

10. jock

jock Regular Member

Stringer
    Why not speak to Ian Little at Yehlex. They have a super 6 point tabletop machine from Exthree for £350.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Matt,

What's the range of tension u generally strung at? As WWC stated in his post, if u go > 26 (maybe 28, according to some others), a 2 point support system might be a little bit "risky". Then, a 4-->6 support system is highly rec. However, if u feel comforable with tension around 24, then, 2-point ones could be good enough for the learning stage.

As for Eagnas machines, the spec seems good to me. However, in some string forums, ppl pointed out their string gripper damage string easily. I can't confirm such issue, since I went with a safe choice (a lot of positive reviews) as in Klipper M140 (also 2 point support).

12. mongoose

mongoose Regular Member

I've used a similar machine as the Hawk 15.
    Mine's an ATS Sports Super Stringer II.
    Excellent 2-point mounting drop weight machine for stringing tennis rackets!
    But it really sucks for stringing badminton rackets.
    As mentioned in the above posts, the mounting is not secure for stringing 24 lbs and above.
    I've broken 3 rackets while stringing. All of them broke at 4-5 o'clock.
    I've stopped stringing for awhile.... until I can afford a 6-point mounting spring tension with fixed clamps machine. :D

I suggest that you spend a little bit more to get a decent machine with at least the following specs:
    1) 4-6 point mounting
    2) fixed clamps

I could live with a drop-weight, but you may consider getting a spring tension machine if you need to string a lot of rackets fast.

Good luck!

PS. Hey! Check this one out too... pretty cute but I'm not too confident with the mounting system.

http://minism.com/e-main.htm

13. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Matt, theres a machine currently on ebay, might be worth taking a look at.