returning backcourt shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bigredlemon, Oct 20, 2003.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

What do you guys do with low backcourt clears in doubles? If they clear, that's supposed to give my side the attacking advantage but I can't seem to translate that advantage into a winning point. So i'm here to hear some strategies :)

2. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    How low? And what is the reason the person at the back cannot smash it?

I have seen an attacking pair being maneuvred out of the usual front-back position, so that the front guy is on one side of the court, and the back guy is on the other side of the court, before the defending pair sends an attacking clear to the baseline corner on the side of the front guy. The back guy then has few options left, because he would not be able to reach in time to smash.

What follows then is usually a clear, and the attacking pair now has to on the defence. But frequently, the back guy can reach the shuttle in time, wait, and then drive. The opponent blocks the drive easily, but then net play ensues to decide who goes on the offense again.

Is this the situation you are thinking of?

3. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

exactly...

what usually happens is that i'll smash but it won't be steep enough to be a killer so they'll just drive it to the other side. Since my body is already moving in the wrong way, it's very hard to get back to the otherside in time.

I've also try netshots but since i'm way in the back, they have plently of time to jump forward and attempt a net kill. (btw if they hit the bird while it's still on my side of the court but without touching the net, is that a fault? I see lots of players doing this but I thought it was illegal?)

Or a drive, which result in a drive-fest until someone clears or drops.

Thus in all three situations, the advantage becomes a non-advantage and I'm back to fighting it out even.

4. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    yes it is illegal if they hit the bird when its still on your side of the court. however if it went on their side and they hit it and follow through and their racket goes on your side, it is not.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Nice question BRL.

Try doing a half smash (half power) and keep it steep. No need to use your whole body movement, the stroke mainly comes from the fingers, forearm.

Because the shuttle is a little slower, then you'll have more time to recover your balance.

Because it is too fast to be a drop shot, the opponent will not be able to kill the shuttle from the top of the net (theoretically).

Note this shot is not meant to be a winner. It is a way to keep the shuttle going done and make the opponent lift - ie, you still keep the initiative in the rally...:)

Go for the winners later in the rally when you feel more balanced...

6. GarlicJoe

GarlicJoe Regular Member

Drone
    What?? Is this really illegal?
    Strange, I've never heard anyone complain about it and people do it all the time, also, wouldn't it be very hard to judge on which side of the net the shot took place?

Is such a shot even legal?

7. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Law 13.3

It is a fault if, when in play, the initial point of contact with the shuttle is not on the striker's side of the net. (The striker may, however, follow the shuttle over the net with the racket in the course of a stroke)

but if, in following the shuttle over the net you obstruct your opponent, that is a fault
    re law 13.4.4

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    This is probably the most concrete rule in badminton... contact of shuttle in any form must always occur on the striker's side of the net. It's a fault if the striker hit the shuttle before it enters his air-space/court. Following through shot is permitted as long as it doesn't affect the receiver's return shot.

It's also probably one of the most ignored rules in baddy because, w/o referee, it's harder to ascertain whether the striker hits prematurely or not due to speed and point of view while in play. So it'll probably happen more in recreational games than tournaments.

#8 cappy75, Oct 21, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2003
  9. woop.

woop. Regular Member

I think the main thing in league (or at least lower league) games (i.e no umpire) is that players are unlikely to call someone up on this, even thought it does happen. You are most likely just going to end up in an argument with them claiming they hit the bird on their side of the net and you claiming they didn't.

It's a bit like foot faults. If someone's shoe is sneaking onto the line what are you going to do? You will contest that it was a foot fault and they will deny it vigorously.

10. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    So your opponents are able to drive your smash flat to the opposite corner you smashed from.

Initially rather than trying to cope with their drive you could look to stop them being able to play it. If you are smashing at the straight defender into their racket hip or into tramlines steep they will struggle to drive crosscourt. Further if you have been moved across the back line to play that smash your partner should cover crosscourt lifts / drives (i.e. rotating) preventing you having to smash and then change direction again, taking the shuttle late.

If you are smashing crosscourt and they are driving straight then clearly that is where the problem lies since you are presenting them with an easy opportunity to counter attack.

Failing this when you are forced to take the shuttle low try to drop with deception if playing a slow drop, or use half smash / faster drop to create a weak lift or play a controlled /directed smash to create an opening.