How to be strong in mixed doubles?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ayl, Oct 20, 2003.

1. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day

What do you guys do when playing in mixed doubles? Especially when teamed with a female player who's smash and clears are not strong from back of the court?

I play a lot of doubles and mixed so I have a fair clue what to do - however I am hoping for some tips from other more experienced players to gain that "edge" over competitors.

So i'm here to hear some strategies :)

2. woop.

woop. Regular Member

Well if the lady is not strong the obvious is to play her at the new when possible.

Knowing in advance (both through discussion and practice) which shots get taken by who is very important. Discuss different situations (front and back, sides defending a smash) and just point around the court, indicating where the shuttle might be returned, and who is going to take it.

This might seem a little mechanical, and even dull, but it makes a big difference if you have imaginary dividing lines for different situations that enable you and your partner to immediately recognise who is going to take the shot.

But getting shots back is just the beginning...

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Sometimes the basic advice is the best advice! :p

If the girl is weak at the back, you really have to play safe. To avoid that the girl ends up at the back...

* Don't let the opponents tempt you (the guy) into rushing to the front. Not even on the return of service. "Hanging on the net" is fine in level doubles, suicide in mixed. (for the guy that is)

* Avoid lifts and clears from defensive side-side formation. Can't be stressed enough. That's exactly what the opponents need to put your girl at the back. Easier said than done, you might say, but there is almost always room for a short return to the net or a push or drive along the tramlines.

* Avoid putting speed on the shuttle. Play with patience, leave the risk-taking to the opponents. The side that is first to attack seldom wins the point. Counter-strike -- mixed doubles is a waiting game.

* Be sure the girl moves correctly when going from attack to defense. She should move cross-court from the shuttle, where she will have more time to react. She should also try to reply cross-court to stay in that position. You should cover the straight attacks, and should aim to reply straight -- as opposed to level doubles, don't focus on making the other guy move from side to side. That's contrary to keeping your girl cross-court to the shuttle.

Just a few words of advice. Sorry if they're too basic for you! :)

4. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

hmm

i will be playing mix doubles in my club tournament.. give the shots to teh lady.. don;t lift unnesscessarilly , let the lady challenge your partner by the net... the person with least mistakes will win. Only give the men shots like punching them to the back then faster let the lady move in for the kill..

5. peyter

peyter Regular Member

Lecturer
    What if the lady can't clear at all?

Hi all,

I'm playing mixed againts a men's doubles team...and they constantly serve high and deep to gain a "cheap" point from my partner's weak return.
    I have tried asking her to wait for the bird to fall, then whip a fast drive...but the guys are again picking that shot with no effort...!
    What should I do? Its frustrating...

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    peyter, sometimes if you are weaker, you are just weaker. if you play against a pair who insist on getting cheap points from the girl, then sometimes there isn't much you can do.

may be to have her try a light smash and then rush to the net. or drop to the middle and then rush to the net.

if your opponent insist on kill it off, there isn't much you can do other than to shrug it off.

when i play recreational mixed games. i primarily serve shot. i insist on limiting flick serving once or twice during the whole game, not to gain cheap points, but to let the girl know that she better not rush me.

unless if the girl is really strong. then it is a different game.

if i get all the cheap points from flicking a weak girl, it will take the "fun" out of the game, and what's the point?

7. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    My experience on playing mixed doubles in tournament is very inadequate, ie never played in one. :eek: Reading the criteria presented, I assume you and the female player practice frequently?

My suggestion is to practice with her so that her weak shots (ie smash and clears) become stronger (going back to the basic). To me without a strong clear (clears to half court, especially) is very detrimental to the pair. In the mean time, perhaps she can utilizes more of her other stronger points - excellent drop shots perhaps, not intimidated by strong smash and willing to return them, etc. Since you did not mention any of her stronger points, I am quite blind on offering tips. ;) You would be the best person on projecting and encouraging more of her strong points more than her weak points. :)

I only play mixed in social setting (non-tournament) and has paired with such partner before (weak clear and no smash). I just usually play the game for fun and most of the time feel like playing singles -- two against one with the added twist: defending against opponents' attack due to partner's weak returns :D

Cheers.

8. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day Mag,

Couple of good points here - I think the above definately apply to our mixed game plan. I sometime try to "win" a cheap point by rushing the serve, as in men's doubles, only to leave partner exposed at the back. And I also have to learn how to be more patient in my game, move the shuttle to open gaps gently so the opposing man doesn't get to have a clean shot at my partner, instead of trying to punch the shuttle through opposition's defense with brute force.

Thanks for good tips guys. :)

9. other

other Regular Member

Student
    defineately work on clears and drops.........not much needed on smashs cos the clears and the drops will hopefully prevent the opposite pair from poaching on short clears and weak smashes. best thing is to work on clears....technique, and also throwing your whole body weight into the shot.......and try to swing fast

the rushing into the net is important i feel.....otherwise they'll trap the woman at the back

10. graphite

graphite Regular Member

Student
    When you guys play mixed, do you serve forehand or backhand? The pros usually serve backhand but I'm still not used to being farther from the T so my backhand serves usually go short and when I use my forehand serve, the shuttle clears the net a little higher and is easier to be rushed by the opponents. Any suggestions??? :confused:

11. peyter

peyter Regular Member

Lecturer
    I have the same problem...not used to serving so far behind the t. If normally play mixed versus men's doubles, so I'm getting rushed all the time too.
    What would probably work is a high forehand serve, drop back to the middle and play as in singles! hehehe

12. graphite

graphite Regular Member

Student
    I did try that but because of the long service, my serve gets attacked all the time, and even if I can return the shuttle, it still gets attack because of the poor return. Is there a proper way of doing this? Any other ideas? I think the best option is to serve short just like in a normal doubles game so your still on the offensive side. My problem is that I'm just not used to serving so far so my serve clears the net too high or it goes short. Any other suggestions? :)

13. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

hi

played competitive mixed doubles yesterday...against a top team.. always attack the backhand of your opponents.. never switch.. NEVER give the man.. play it simple/.. keep the shots strauight.. only if high ball then cross court to ladies side... hit to the side of the lady .. just below the man... well.. even tough i lost , it was a learning expeirence for me.. hopefully i should do well for my coming tourney...

14. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

The rules of mixed are fairly simple. They were referred to above. Men hit straight and down. Ladies don't lift and if they do make sure it is cross-court. Don't get too ambitious on the return, you only need to find about three effective returns for the opposition to be on the defensive. The most important thing to do is watch the opponents. If they have a weak area play to it, if they have a strong shot turn it to your advantage as people like playing their favourite shots so be there waiting for it. Other than that don't try to add things to your game, the real secret is train hard at the basics and commit to doing the correct thing on court.

15. peyter

peyter Regular Member

Lecturer
    Thanks for the tips

Yesterday I played mixed - with a partner who's quite new, and with whom I have never tasted victory before. I tried to remember all that has been discussed here and pulled off a win 15-10! It was really sastifying as I have been through many frustrating matches with her.
    I guess the biggest lesson I am learning is how to be patient - I am one who always go for quick kills in the game - It has been a learning experience in moving my opponents and refraining from smashing at the first oppurtunity.
    BTW, for mixed doubles fans - Malaysia has just started drafting in players to be dedicated full time mixed doubles player. All this while, Malaysia has been fielding ad-hoc partnership.