Blowing the shuttle during a rally

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Boonbeng, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Boonbeng

Boonbeng Regular Member

Life's good
    So I watched the Copenhagen match between LD and PG, and I saw LD blowing the shuttle right in front of him when he predicted it was out. (and he made it pretty obvious through his body language... if his head was closer he would end up kissing the birdie) Not sure it'll affect the flight of the shuttle much but I wanna know if it's legal.

2. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

maybe he is just exhaling :p

3. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    he is just trying to entertain the crowd...its exhibition match...why so serious?

4. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i think the OP was just using this particular match as an example, but i wonder about that, i would think it's illegal, especially if it was a net shot and both players are actually really close at net and one just blows at the shuttle, i would think it's illegal, but then it would be hard to prove it???

5. gundamzaku

working professional
    i think the OP was just using this particular match as an example, but i wonder about that, i would think it's illegal, especially if it was a net shot and both players are actually really close at net and one just blows at the shuttle, i would think it's illegal, but then it would be hard to prove it???

6. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    not sure....would be hard to prove but i doubt in an important match players would have enough time to do such a thing

7. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    actually itd be easy to make short serves too short by blowing on them but then again, I'm sure there's a rule that prevents players from doing it

8. krysser

krysser Regular Member

Well there is no specific rule that prevent blowing on the shuttle, but a umpire could actually use rule 16.6.4 to prevent such things.

Rule 16.6.4 : A player shall not be guilty of misconduct not otherwise covered by the Laws of Badminton.

9. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    LOL, if you want to blow your opponent's netting back to his court, so vice versa, you also would want to blow your own tight netting if you could foresee your netting falling short of the tape. In general, this practice is a waste of time, especially when you are already tired from all those long rallies, it's much better to save your oxygen tank than to waste it on huff and puff. Large effort, puny results. Not to mention it's illegal and really unprofessional.

10. ronaldindin

ronaldindin Regular Member

Can blowing on the shuttle really change the direction? For me I'll take it as a way to entertain the crowd. No big deal about it

11. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Hahaha, you think it'd be easy? I'd like to see one returner have enough time to
    1: judge the incoming shuttle as close of being too short
    2: massive inhale
    3: adjust mouth position to be just in front of the shuttle
    4: massive blow while adapting mouth position to always be just in front of the shuttle

Because surely your mouth would have to be just in front of the shuttle for the blow to actually have an effect. The shuttle is light but it's not like it's light as a feather. Sometimes though when the shuttle falls on the net and rests there for a second, one of my club mates blow on it for fun to make it go over. In this situation I actually think there could be a chance to effect the outcome. I doubt it's illegal though, I guess there is no rule.

12. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I tried blowing an ant off a table not too long ago. It didn't even budge. I don't think blowing a shuttle will really have an effect. You are free to waste your energy and breath trying to blow it and tell me the results.

13. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    huh a friend and I tried it a few months ago and he was able to make it fall short

14. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Shuttles have larger surface area than ants. We all know about the breeze effecting shuttle flight. So this is entirely plausible. My friend did it once when the shuttle landed on top of the tape and made it fall over my side. I was pissed since it was not a very sporting thing to do irrespective of whether it caused the shuttle to fall over or not.

15. gundamzaku

working professional
    well you should have gone for the net kill and as a result hitting his face, then call fault on him for getting his face in the path of the swing of your racket....point to you, simple!

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Blowing the shuttlecock

There is no mention (in the BWF Laws of Badminton) that we cannot blow the shuttlecock; therefore do it if you think you can get an advantage. :):):)

17. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Lin Dan did that last year in the German Open final against Simon Santoso. Lin Dan was leading by many points and he apparently did that to entertain the crowd, but the shuttle landed in and the umpire didn't call it a foul.