yonex Nanoray 20 or similar price non yonex brand?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by yasirumew, Jan 2, 2013.

1. yasirumew

yasirumew New Member

medical student
    I am an intermediate player playing for the university team in my country. I hv a yonex carbonex 8200 light racket. Its not bad but lack smashing power a little bit. so i want to upgrade my racket. I love smashing as well as drop shots like from back of the court and crosscourt.

I hv a budget of 65 us dollars. should i buy nanoray 20 or are there any other non yonex brands for the same price range that i shd consider better than naoray 20. plz help as i need to buy it before the trials in february.

2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    if you get a nr20 then i think you'll still lack smashing power because it's a head light racket. the cheapest way is actually to put some lead tape on the frame of your carbonex to make it a bit head heavier. see if that works first before spending more money on rackets. i just recently bought a nr20 and dry swinging compare to my arc002 or vt3, the nr is a bit head lighter than arc002 and so i know it'll be harder for me to generate power compare to my other yonex rackets.

maybe when you restring, string it 1lb less so it's a lower tension. but of course if it affects your accuracy then you shouldn't drop the tension, but a drop in tension should give you a slight power increase given that the string is fresh/new.

3. yasirumew

yasirumew New Member

medical student
    Are there any good head heavy rackets in that price range? Any brand would be ok. But i am not that built in body size. Little thin with 55 kg body weight. so very heavy head racket would be little difficult for me to yield. so can u consider that also and recommend me a good balanced racket please. i would be greatful :)

4. gundamzaku

working professional
    yonex arcsaber002, same answer as the one from the other thread you started :)

5. yasirumew

yasirumew New Member

medical student
    well there z a slight problem. I just checked few shops in sri lanka today. They only import high end yonex rackets which i can't afford. But they have all gosen ,wilson, victor, lining rackets available. so can u recommend one from those brands please?
    ordering arcsaber 002 from ebay also exceed my budget as i have to pay for shipping also. so thats not possible.:crying:

6. gundamzaku

working professional
    with wilson i've only had experience with the BLX force and it's a wonderful racket with a flexible shaft, but it might be on the head light side. the flexible shaft makes up for the lack of power with a head light racket. li ning i only have the n90 and the n50 and they are both pretty stuff and very heavy so that might not be what you're looking for, and the li ning ones are both pretty expensive. victor i've only had experience with superwave35, bravesword11, and spira21, and they are all higher end rackets, so i can't help you there either.

from what i learn as a beginner and an intermediate player is that the brand doesn't matter that much compare to the feel. if a racket that feels great to you, it'll motivate you to go play more often and to try harder in improving. Head is a company that i started looking into. even tho they have just announced that they are no long supporting badminton, you can still find some of their rackets in the market and they are fine rackets...and at half price it's a great deal. the Head Power Helix is a good series, so is their Nano Power, both which i have experience with. not the sexiest rackets by looks, but a great feel, at least to me.

if you have a chance, you might want to try out different rackets, even just asking your friends or the people you're hitting with to borrow their rackets and let you hit a few during warmup, just to get a feel of it.

7. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

I have had a few mock-swings with a Li-ning Ultra Carbon (UC series) racket, I don't remember the exact model, but I think it was UC 3300. It didn't feel too head-heavy though, so if you are looking for head-heavy racket it may not be the one for you.. but anyway you can check out how it feels for you.

8. yasirumew

yasirumew New Member

medical student
    Thanks both of u for ur opinions. i really appreciate it. :) today i am going to buy a racket. lets see how it goes.

9. gundamzaku

working professional
    good luck, keep us posted :)

10. yasirumew

yasirumew New Member

medical student
    i bought gosen aermet 6800 pro racket. strung it with gosen pro 70 string with 24lbs tension. played with it today. its much better than my yonex carbonex 8200 light.

it has great control over the drop shots and net play and much better smashing power than my previous racket. have to try more smashing it with tomorrow. any reviews on this racket guys?

11. gundamzaku

working professional
    how about you play with it a few sessions more, then give us your review? :)

12. yasirumew

yasirumew New Member

medical student
    ok friend. i am waiting to play with it more. i will keep u posted. :)