Racket choice dilemma (VT70 v. MX60)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by jamaljenkins, Jan 2, 2013.

1. jamaljenkins

jamaljenkins Regular Member

Student.
    Hi, before I continue this is my first actual post in BC and while I'm still quite new at using this forum, I have lurked around for solutions but to no avail.
    Level: Advanced Beginner
    Play style: previously control and defense, but now leaning more toward attacking
    Rackets owned: 3U G2 BS09, Nanoray 20 (starter)
    I've been playing badminton for about a year now through accidental discovery, though not at a high level, but badminton has become one of the the passions that I will continue for a long time ^__^
    As previously stated, I bought the BS09 looking for an even balanced racket as an all rounder, but now since I've played more recently, I've came to embrace a more aggressive play style. I managed to got my BS09's BP to 290-295mm (from using less grip tape on the grip and heavier strings BG80) but my inner racket collecting persona wanted more, thus began my search for a more head heavy racket.
    I've managed to narrow it down to the VT70 and MX60 since they're both medium head heavy rackets and from my research, perform similarly to another. However I could not find a thread where the two are directly compared.
    So my questions are:
    -Which one is more forgiving?
    -More stiff? (As I can't handle stiff rackets atm)
    -Better? (objective but please answer)
    -More maneuverable?
    -If I pick one, 3U or 4U?
    PS: If this matters, I managed to borrow a friend's 4U VT7 to play for a while and I fell in love with its lightness and head heaviness right away. I didn't have to change my timing nor made any adjustments. It felt just right. I was convinced to get the VT70 until I found the MX60 and thought it could be a more wallet-friendly alternative. So which one performs closer to the VT7?
    PSS: Do the Kason F9 and C7 fall under the medium head heavy category? Which one is more arm-smashing friendly?
    Also, if I pick a racket, which should is more beneficial? Zymax 65/67, BG80, or BG66UM? I'll probably string them ~24lbs
    Thanks!

2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    before spending another 2 bills on a high end racket, why don't you borrow your friend's vt7 for a few more sessions. if it felt "just right" then that might be the racket for you. also, it's half the price of the vt70. however, both racket and string are very personal so i would also recommend you try them out before making a purchase.

since i only own the vt70 i can tell you that it's a great racket. it's quick enough for doubles defense but definitely heavy enough for power shots. and since i am a player who prefers flexible shaft, this racket has a shaft that's flexible for me, but stiff enough for great accuracy.

3. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

i am also curious about the comparison between VT70 vs. MX60

subscribing this thread :D

4. jamaljenkins

Student.
    @gundamzaku
    Oh I see. I'll try to borrow my friend's VT7 soon. What I'm looking for is a light racket with slightly heavier head than the VT7 but still midflex to midstiff (preferably in the middle)
    How about the MX60 anyone got a comparisons on that? I was looking at the Kason C7 and F9 and surprisingly FHF uses the more balanced but flexible F9. Any thoughts on that?

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i have never tried the kason rackets, but i'm guessing the flexible shaft will give FHF even more power than what he's already got...think he's trying to break his own record of the fastest smash in the sudirman cup?

6. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    Well, i own a VT70, and I must say... That racket is really forgiving! I think it's a speedy racket that packed with a little bit of punch right there. It might not be as powerful as those higher range Voltric or faster than Nanospeed/Nanoray series, but when it comes down to double games, it plays just nice for those fast attacking players out there, think Carsten Mogensen.

I dont know much about mx60, but what I do like is the paintjob (Yellow), I'm getting tired of red colored rackets...

If you compared these 2 rackets, you might find something quite distinctive among these 2 rackets.

First of all, the frame, both of the rackets approaches same matters differently, one with Tri Force blah blah blah (VT70) while the other uses Octablade (MX60).

My advice is... if you really cant get those racket to try out on court, go to a shop, dry swing those rackets, and go with your hearts. From what i can see from your choices, nothing could go wrong for you to choose any of those rackets, except for that 2 linings as their specs is different from what you initially want, I guess... XD

Finally, good luck!! And happy hunting XD

7. jamaljenkins

Student.
    Oh I see.
    From what I've heard, the MX60 is rated as 3/5 on stiff while the VT70 is a little bit over to the mid stiff side. Can someone who owns both tell me which one is stiffer?

8. andrewballa

andrewballa New Member

yeah.If you compared these 2 rackets, you might find something quite distinctive among these 2 rackets.[​IMG]

9. jamaljenkins

Student.
    Thing is I do not have the rackets readily to use as demo... LOL