MP 100's BackUp Racket

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by bluejeff, Oct 21, 2003.

1. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Today I was thinking, since many people say that, the power level of MP77 and 100 are similar, How many of you would consider MP77 as an alternative racket to MP100?

Or in other words, Would you use MP77 as a backup racket if your MP100 is broken?

2. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

I wouldn't say MP77 as an perfect back up racket for MP100. I've got both and I must say although both produce very power shots, they play and feel different. It's balance point and grip length is also different.

The best back up for MP100 is another one. Failing that I find MP90 or an old Ti-8 as a good compromise. MP77 plays and feels closer to MP55.

3. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Yeah.....So far I have 2 MP99s and 1 MP100 and 1 MP77, so I was thinking maybe I can team up MP100and77 together to be backup of each other as another group. MP99 to be is considered as "control-type" group, and MP77/100 to be is in "Power-type" group :)

Some people told me that, Ti-10 is similar to MP100, but I am having doubt on that. So, I don't think I am going to get a Ti10 for the backup purpose.

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Have you tried AT700? It can be ur backup.

5. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    Like Ayl, I've had both the MP77 (old 2u ver.) and an MP100. I've decided to buy another mp100 as a back up. The mp77 is a decent racquet, but very different from the MP100 and much inferior in quality. The mp100 just seems to have much better feel and balance. I'm told by a mate who has one, that the mp99 is a reasonable alternative to the mp100.

6. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Don't think the AT700 and the MP100 are anything alike, they are two totally different rackets so they would be like playing with a tennis racket and then moving to a squash racket.

I would think possibly a Carlton AS Ti would be most like the MP100 from what I can remember, and at a push the AS1 would cut the mustard too.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i remember in statistics, there is a law call soemthing like "the law of large numbers". which basically says the more sampling you get, the close you get to the mean. in more technical terms, that means the standard deviation of the sample distribution shrinks as one gets more sample points.

however, as we can see here, BF defies all mathematics and statistics, it seems that the more samples (ie. opinions) one gets. the wider the standard deviation. (ie. differing opinions)

apologies for the digression. work is too much today.

8. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    In other words everyones opinion of the same racket is different?

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. and understandably so i guess.

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I will stick by another MP-100 or MP-90 any day! MP-70 just don't feel the same as MP-100.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Supported. How many times will one see a pro use a different racquet as a backup? very rarely....(though it has happened)

12. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I have a MP77, but never strung, so I was thinking maybe I can use it as the backup racket to my MP100 in case of breakage. (I don't have the money to get another MP100 now)

well, I should've defined the question to be:

Would you use MP77 as the backup racket for MP100 if you are unable to get another MP100?

:)

13. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    MP77 and MP100 are somewhat different imo (I've both rackets). Personally I found MP77 is heavy but not powerful ...

How about say your brand new MP77 to someone else and buy a 2nd hand MP100 ?

14. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    Although I believe that different people will have different opinions about a particular racquet, I also believe that when a racquet is sampled objectively those opinions should not vary too much. For instance Ricky states that the mp77 is heavy but not powerful, I think most if not everyone will agree that the mp77 is a relatively heavy racquet but IMHO it is certainly one of the most powerful racquets out there and if anybody says otherwise then either they meant relatively not powerful (really?) or I'm going crazy :).

15. Sandman

Sandman Regular Member

buisinessman
    Get a Clone!

Why don't you sell your MP77 and get one of the numerous MP100 clones out there? Let me clarify the use of the word "clone" here. I don't mean "fakes" carrying the Yonex name(but they are good and getting better by the way), but rather the offerings of other legitimate companies which claim to mimic the weight, balance and performance of the MP100 at a fraction of the cost. I'm sorry I can't suggest a particular brand since I haven't tried any as yet, but I'm sure the other folks on this list may be able to suggest some alternatives.

Hope this solves your problem...

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Definately, so Ricky's other suggestion is viable, swop the MP77 for a 2nd hand MP100 - or swop for a new MP100 if possible:p

17. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    It is a relative comparison (actually I compared against the MP100 because these are the rackets being discussed). :)

I've MP100, 90, 80 and 70, among all these rackets, I would say MP100 is the most powerful. MP80 is the least powerful. MP70 may be probably more powerful (or more the less the same) in compare with MP90, but MP90 is a much faster racket which definitely has an edge over MP70 imo. If I can adapt a "relatively" heavy racket as MP70, I'll opt for those purely offensive rackets such as MP100 or Ti-10 (AT700 is too head heavy and I still think it can't exceed Ti-10 performance) which are more powerful.

I personally don't recommend to go for clones. While there are many Yonex clones look like Yonex real one, I never came across a clone which performs almost exactly the same as the real one.

18. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    Ricky, how would you say the mp90 (mp99) compared to the mp100? I've been meaning to take out a demo model of the mp99 for a while, but haven't got round to it.

19. silentlight

student/programmer
    By the way how does the mp100 compare to the mp77, would you guys say that it is as powerful or more powerful than the mp77 without the sluggishness of the mp77?

20. silentlight

student/programmer
    Yeah, I also believe that selling the mp77 or whatever to get another mp100 whether new or not is the option to go for. That way you can have an exact backup and peace of mind--even if you play badly one day you won't blame it on your backup :).