User Tag List

Page 3 of 110 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 53 103 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    SOTX were trying it big a number of years ago but what happened to them. Why did Carlton go down?

I am all for better badminton shoes. I really like the outer side supports that Yonex introduced in the last few years. Really helps with stability on my leading leg when lunging forward. In fact, this is why I switched back to Yonex shoes after years with Mizuno.
    I think Adidas needs a winner in order for them to really push through their products. If they just get anyone and that person doesn't win any championship, it is not going to be good for them.

Carlton lost out partially in this concept, I believe. They do not have proven winners on the circuit. Of course, the distribution channels are also another factor which we can take a look at it as well. Adidas definitely have a fantastic distribution channels worldwide with their own boutiques and distributors.

It will definitely be interesting to see how Adidas will perform in badminton which is saturated by the giants (Yonex, Li Ning etc) and other minorities.

Will it be a small wave or will a tsunami comes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SOTX were trying it big a number of years ago but what happened to them. Why did Carlton go down?
    Since when have Carlton gone down? They are alive and well in the UK.. ,maybe its because instead of building the brand Mike Ashley ( the owner ) is clearly selling the gear in his budget "sports shops" for bargain bucket prices.. Stack em high and cheap is his motto.... Maybe he's forgotten he owns it..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the reason why some companies have not had the success that Li Ning has enjoyed entering the badminton market is simply they do not have the financial ability to have such an entrance. SOTX and Carlton simply do not have the money to or corporate infrastructure like Li Ning has.

Other recent attempts by the "tennis first" brands (like Head, Wilson and Babolat) just lacked the "full" commitment. They have the corporate infrastructure, the industrial connections and financial means but they didn't budget enough into marketing and major sponsorship to make a major splash.

adidas is the worlds largest sporting goods company. IMO they are not at a disadvantage in any aspect. It is corporate commitment which I think is the only thing that can really hold them back. With badminton being large in Asia, this will help them capitalize on a growing "untapped" market that their main rivals have not yet explored. If they fail miserably then they could simply "acquire" Yonex.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Yonex UK have already made their move on the back of this news. All their rackets have dropped significantly in price here in the UK. I think they know what's about to come from Adidas and the quality of the products they're going to offer.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From severely overpriced to in line with the rest of Europe? Best one to watch would be NR800 in this regard seeing as it is the latest model and should not be subjected yet to the natural price drop after the initial phase (excluding holiday sales & offers) ...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by demolidor View Post
    From severely overpriced to in line with the rest of Europe? Best one to watch would be NR800 in this regard seeing as it is the latest model and should not be subjected yet to the natural price drop after the initial phase (excluding holiday sales & offers) ...
    The NR800 has dropped from 169.99 to 125.00 on Central Sports.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by f1rst View Post
    Apparently it is also unavailable (but I've seen it elsewhere for close to that)? And the other prices don't really look that good still but are slightly cheaper than I recall indeed. Z-Force is still close to 150 GBP which it sells for here in euro instead (same for the other models). RRP was probably that 169.99 so it would never sell for that anyway in retail. NanoRay 700's are/should be making place for the new colours as well ...

Wasn't there some price comparison website in UK as well, that maybe tracked the price history ...
    Last edited by demolidor; 01-06-2013 at 08:34 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Yonex UK have already made their move on the back of this news. All their rackets have dropped significantly in price here in the UK. I think they know what's about to come from Adidas and the quality of the products they're going to offer.
    Christ, I see what you mean! A week ago it was just the Nanoray 700's that had been slashed (which I was after) but now it seems all of the current Japanese models have had a further 15% price slash over the normal 15% discount cap from RRP.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

if this is true then i welcome all new comers to the market of badminton, it will only benefit the average consumer with more competition and lower prices. however, with dropping in pricing the other well known brands might take a quicker short cut in their production where quality might suffer?

Quote Originally Posted by adidascanada View Post
    I think the reason why some companies have not had the success that Li Ning has enjoyed entering the badminton market is simply they do not have the financial ability to have such an entrance. SOTX and Carlton simply do not have the money to or corporate infrastructure like Li Ning has.

Other recent attempts by the "tennis first" brands (like Head, Wilson and Babolat) just lacked the "full" commitment. They have the corporate infrastructure, the industrial connections and financial means but they didn't budget enough into marketing and major sponsorship to make a major splash.

adidas is the worlds largest sporting goods company. IMO they are not at a disadvantage in any aspect. It is corporate commitment which I think is the only thing that can really hold them back. With badminton being large in Asia, this will help them capitalize on a growing "untapped" market that their main rivals have not yet explored. If they fail miserably then they could simply "acquire" Yonex.
    i agree, LOL.

is it possible that nr800 didn't meet expectations in regards to its performance and the sales didn't meet yonex's expectations?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gundamzaku View Post
    is it possible that nr800 didn't meet expectations in regards to its performance and the sales didn't meet yonex's expectations?
    It looks more general than that, VT80, VTZF, and other current high end models have also had the same percentage cut it seems.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The only Carlton racquets I have seen in in person the past 8-10years (which numbers less than the fingers on one hand) was/is from a UK guy working in HK.

So how do we see the market shaking up with Adidas trying to get in? I'd be worried if I was Yonex, Li Ning, Victor. These team contracts are going to be shaken up. I reckon we might see even more independent players sign up.

An interesting scenario is a junior player signed to a 3 year contract. Then he/she makes it big but the national team equipment contract is held by Yonex/Victor/LiNing. What would happen then?

Actually, how long is an equipment contract usually given for?

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'll try to find out if Yonex racquets in HK have decreased in price this week.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So how do we see the market shaking up with Adidas trying to get in? I'd be worried if I was Yonex, Li Ning, Victor. These team contracts are going to be shaken up. I reckon we might see even more independent players sign up.
    I could see Badminton England moving to Adidas, due to the link with the British Olympic Association/TeamGB.

Saying that they have a long association with Yonex, and with the All England tournament....

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by msitpro View Post
    I could see Badminton England moving to Adidas, due to the link with the British Olympic Association/TeamGB.

Saying that they have a long association with Yonex, and with the All England tournament....
    Yeah. But Yonex sponsorship of the tournament should be seperate to the BA of E equipment. Used to see Nathan using Carlton and some others using Head.

sponsoring one player is not enough. I think there is a critical number of getting a few top players using your racquets and winning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by msitpro View Post

I did see that Adrian C. Tweet that there will be a big announcement soon ??! ... Big hit to Yonex if that does happen... ( the adidas shirts GB badders wore in 2012 were shocking )

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Backhand_Dave View Post
    ( the adidas shirts GB badders wore in 2012 were shocking )
    I quite liked the white one with what looked like mesh covering the flag design on the lower half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, how long is an equipment contract usually given for?[/QUOTE] I don't think it's as severe as 3 years. Around here the junior sponsorships usually start and end around may each year so only 12 months at a time. I only know for black knight though maybe other brands are different.

Page 3 of 110 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 53 103 ... LastLast