User Tag List

Page 6 of 110 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 56 106 ... LastLast
Results 86 to 102 of 1855
  1. #86
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    About an hour ago, I have been on the courts. Somebody gave me sample racquets to try out.

    Unfortunately, time was limited but the racquets I tried were robust and good quality. Well balanced. I didn't take any pictures (cuz not really supposed to). Aargh - such a scoop story as well.

    There's a good chance I will try the racquets again when my elbow feels a bit better. Trying to get some terms with them myself. Hehehe
    Going by your comments, looks like we have a rival for Yonex and Li Ning soon

  2. #87
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    3,956
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSOFInfinity View Post
    Going by your comments, looks like we have a rival for Yonex and Li Ning soon
    Didn't you consider Victor as a competitor for Yonex and LiNing ?

  3. #88
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,663
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    TBH, I haven't tried the LiNing range at all (nor looked at the prices). I managed to play with a MX80 over the Christmas and that was quite good. However, not that many places sell Victor in my location (or rather I have to make quite an effort to find it).

    If the rest of the range feels as good as the ones I tried, yes, we will have 4 main players in the market. I tried only 2 racquets out the samples. I do feel top end racquets have become overpriced and I guess Adidas racquets are going to near the same prices. I have used Yonex in the past and frames have broken easily. (i.e.Isometric 800 and Slim 10). That partly pushed me back to the carbonex 20 which I still use now - the earlier production line seems to be tougher. If the Adidas racquets are tougher (we had a clash today and the racquets survived!), then uptake is going to be good amongst consumers. However, the distribution network is important as well for good sales as is the profit margin per racquet for the retailers.

    I am moving to playing more doubles now and have been wondering about a change of racquets to accommodate the different playing style. I might change soon.

    Unfortunately, I didn't have footwear to try out. The early version samples (I am told) were more all court wear types. So the sole, whilst suitable for general indoor sports, wasn't quite what we need as badminton players. Adidas, after getting feedback, have hopefully improved on the shoes.
    Last edited by Cheung; 01-15-2013 at 12:55 AM.

  4. #89
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,663
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Normally, I don't post a lot on the equipment but this news has got me buzzing.

  5. #90
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Licin View Post
    Didn't you consider Victor as a competitor for Yonex and LiNing ?
    Did I? Can't remember though. When?

  6. #91
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,372
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speedyJT View Post
    Viktor Axelsen will be sponsored by Adidas soon.
    He already signed the contract.
    This bodes well - a top-32 player isn't going to use beach rackets... looks like Adidas is serious.

  7. #92
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm just hoping Adidas puts more efforts in their badminton racquets than they did with their tennis racquets. Their tennis racquets were borderline failure. *crosses fingers*

  8. #93
    Regular Member george@chongwei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    29,951
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    first and foremost, i think they are focusing the europe's market first.. Asia market is too early and hard for them to venture in and compete with the likes of yonex, li ning and victor

  9. #94
    Regular Member Cycril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in M'sia
    Posts
    381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    maybe more and more EU players will be sponsored by adidas. if they are successful in this, they might take over Head and Babolat in badminton in Europe!

  10. #95
    Regular Member demolidor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    @Hollanti
    Posts
    11,796
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Judging by the gushing reactions the rackets will sell themselves in Asia, no need for sponsored players German quality, wah!.

    HEAD is out of badminton for a year already . And Babolat is not really big outside of the few sponsored players ...

    If they are only focusing on Europe first they wouldn't launch in 50 countries from the start?
    Last edited by demolidor; 01-15-2013 at 08:57 AM.

  11. #96
    Regular Member Cycril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in M'sia
    Posts
    381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by demolidor View Post
    Judging by the gushing reactions the rackets will sell themselves in Asia, no need for sponsored players German quality, wah!.

    HEAD is out of badminton for a year already . And Babolat is not really big outside of the few sponsored players ...

    If they are only focusing on Europe first they wouldn't launch in 50 countries from the start?
    didn't know that . so you're saying that they want to compete with the big companies like YY, LN and victor? If yes, babolat and other smaller companies in EU will slowly become like HEAD
    P.S. i think Nike should do this too - Niketon!

  12. #97
    Regular Member demolidor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    @Hollanti
    Posts
    11,796
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Babolat and HEAD are big in tennis already so no need for pity and Adidas failed to get into the tennis rackets so far. Maybe badminton was the backup plan ...
    BadNike ... BadNike

    There is plenty of info on the adidas badminton facebook page if one cares to go through all the comments . The bad mania forum also has a comment the prices will be in between 119 and 169 euro.

  13. #98
    Regular Member Cycril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in M'sia
    Posts
    381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by demolidor View Post
    Babolat and HEAD are big in tennis already so no need for pity and Adidas failed to get into the tennis rackets so far. Maybe badminton was the backup plan ...
    BadNike ... BadNike

    There is plenty of info on the adidas badminton facebook page if one cares to go through all the comments . The bad mania forum also has a comment the prices will be in between 119 and 169 euro.
    Adidas failed in tennis career? I thought tsonga was sponsored by them. BadNike...Bad bad Nike. LOL
    the price is like YY's high end racket price already .
    P.S. 200th post, yippie!

  14. #99
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,293
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't want to sound pessimistic but for some reason I just can't see Adidas making that much of an impact on the sales of the heavy weights in this market.

    Look at the likes of Wilson for example, a huge racquet manufacturer with as much (if not more) experience, know-how and history as any other manufacturer yet they've struggled in the badminton. They're massive in the tennis world but when it comes to badminton, there's only a small percentage of players at each level using their racquets. And with the recent rise of Victor and LN racquets, that would make it even more difficult.

    My suspicions are that they would come on the scene with a few lines, sponsor a few players, but after a few years they'd realise they're not making much money and slowly withdraw their investment.

    Don't get me wrong, I very much welcome new manufacturers to the market as it keeps the big boys on their toes and gives us consumers more choice. But it is a big challenge and the odds in my view are stacked against them.

  15. #100
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,663
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Market penetration is a multifaceted process. Sponsorship of top players is one. But just one player is not enough - even if they are top of the world. That player has to have some charisma as well.

    One needs a few top players and this is where things are interesting. Just how many top players are available with the ability to sign an individual equipment contract?

    What about finding the racquets? I have hardly seen forza for sale, sotx only a few places, babolat rarely. Head, well, nothing in asia.

    Sponsoring tournaments? That's an idea. I hope we can see more of this. Adidas sponsoring a world championships?

    Li Ning has been making a loss as well. Wonder how long they can stay in the market....

    I hope another manufacturer can stay in the market long enough to help the players push up their incomes.

  16. #101
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R20190 View Post
    I don't want to sound pessimistic but for some reason I just can't see Adidas making that much of an impact on the sales of the heavy weights in this market.

    Look at the likes of Wilson for example, a huge racquet manufacturer with as much (if not more) experience, know-how and history as any other manufacturer yet they've struggled in the badminton. They're massive in the tennis world but when it comes to badminton, there's only a small percentage of players at each level using their racquets. And with the recent rise of Victor and LN racquets, that would make it even more difficult.

    My suspicions are that they would come on the scene with a few lines, sponsor a few players, but after a few years they'd realise they're not making much money and slowly withdraw their investment.

    Don't get me wrong, I very much welcome new manufacturers to the market as it keeps the big boys on their toes and gives us consumers more choice. But it is a big challenge and the odds in my view are stacked against them.

    I don't think Wilson (and other tennis companies) had/have a FULL resource commitment to badminton and that is where they failed. To them badminton is sort of the other child while they spoil their favourite (tennis). Sort of like squash and racquetball.

    These tennis companies do not have the apparel and footwear experience and resources that adidas does. Adidas stands to gain more from this than just selling badminton racquets.
    Last edited by adidascanada; 01-15-2013 at 10:06 AM.

  17. #102
    Regular Member demolidor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    @Hollanti
    Posts
    11,796
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The big difference imo with Adidas is that they are big in football (and sports in general), and football is the most popular sport in the world. Everyone knows Adidas, unlike Wilson, etc. People will buy it because it is Adidas and feel part of the rest of the world of sports (the apparel at least, if the design hasn't been messed up, rackets will indeed remain to be seen)
    Last edited by demolidor; 01-15-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Page 6 of 110 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 56 106 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •