User Tag List

Page 12 of 110 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 62 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, people pay close to 300 bucks for an N90, so I suspect there'll be more than a few who'll pay 60+ for a top if it's well made and not the rubbish that you pay 35 bucks for.

I've been having a think about the marketing.

I reckon if they want to make a mark in SE Asia, they need to go big like LiNing did. I'm happy to be proved wrong, but it seems to me like Asian players are more personality driven than brand driven. Imagine if Li Ning didn't sponsor the Chinese national team, where would they be now? Nowhere.

They need to sponsor Korea, basically.

In the EU, sponsoring a few of the next generation of players is a good move, because they're a European company with a European aesthetic. There's also a market that is used to paying high retail prices whereas in SE Asia thats a fairly new phenomenon.

So basically, when they say "Adidas Badminton - All in." they better mean it or they'll go the way of Head and Wilson pretty quickly.

They need to 'Go big or go home'.
    Last edited by Maklike Tier; 01-25-2013 at 01:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heard someone else said addidas going to offer lee chong wei . is that true?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by issport View Post
    Heard someone else said addidas going to offer lee chong wei . is that true?
    unless you have a reliable source, I severely doubt it. Yonex will do ANYTHING to hold on to LCW. They've already lost Gade, and are going to lose Taufik. I think LCW's contract runs with Yonex for a few more years anyway...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe, not only Adidas, other sport manufacturer will try to get hands on Dato LCW. Supposedly, Yonex will do whatever it takes to hold LCW. Dato LCW is Yonex brand ambassador that receive huge awareness from badminton fans, not to mention number of titles he won.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Licin View Post
    I believe, not only Adidas, other sport manufacturer will try to get hands on Dato LCW. Supposedly, Yonex will do whatever it takes to hold LCW. Dato LCW is Yonex brand ambassador that receive huge awareness from badminton fans, not to mention number of titles he won.
    At this point, I think Yonex's only guaranteed pushers are Japan - they've been properly knocked off their perch in UK at the very least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you "dare" to ask, ask them something along the lines of:

"Badminton is a sport largely dominated by Asian players, professional and/or amateurs. How do you think they will react about you paying very low wages to Asian workers?"

And less harmful questions:

"Why did you choose badminton right now?
    What can you offer the badminton world, when it comes to money, will you sponsor tournaments, how many players? Are you looking to be a dominant force, perhaps the biggest one, or will you just be another small time player? Will you try to influence the way badminton is going?"

And lastly,

"How do you feel about your competitors in the badminton market? Are they doing a good job? Are you willing to work together with some of them or do you work "Solo" ?

When will you be having the conversation with them Kwun?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    At this point, I think Yonex's only guaranteed pushers are Japan - they've been properly knocked off their perch in UK at the very least.
    Have they? Quite often I still hear (or read) about Englishmen (and -women) only really knowing Yonex...not quite as pronounced, but similar in Germany (where some "just don't like Victor" and don't even know Li Ning/Babolat/...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    It depends what UK market you are looking at ? Top Clubs and County, then yes they probably have. The average Joe in your average UK club ? I think not, they are still the only badminton brand the majority of players have even heard of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckie View Post
    Have they? Quite often I still hear (or read) about Englishmen (and -women) only really knowing Yonex...not quite as pronounced, but similar in Germany (where some "just don't like Victor" and don't even know Li Ning/Babolat/...)
    Agreed.
    With adidas the sport will may have some more followers.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good opportunity for some top players to make more money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Backhand_Dave View Post
    It depends what UK market you are looking at ? Top Clubs and County, then yes they probably have. The average Joe in your average UK club ? I think not, they are still the only badminton brand the majority of players have even heard of.
    That's true. I've only recently gotten hooked and when I came to choose a racket, Yonex was instantly my 1st choice of thought.
    Only know of Li-Ning because of their connection in Basketball.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Giga01 View Post
    If you "dare" to ask, ask them something along the lines of:

"Badminton is a sport largely dominated by Asian players, professional and/or amateurs. How do you think they will react about you paying very low wages to Asian workers?"

And less harmful questions:

"Why did you choose badminton right now?
    What can you offer the badminton world, when it comes to money, will you sponsor tournaments, how many players? Are you looking to be a dominant force, perhaps the biggest one, or will you just be another small time player? Will you try to influence the way badminton is going?"

And lastly,

"How do you feel about your competitors in the badminton market? Are they doing a good job? Are you willing to work together with some of them or do you work "Solo" ?
    to the first, of course Adidas will say they pay competitive wages, and actually they do not own any factories in China so are not even responsible for wages in that country!

As for you question on 'working solo', erm, why would they help a competitor?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    to the first, of course Adidas will say they pay competitive wages, and actually they do not own any factories in China so are not even responsible for wages in that country!

As for you question on 'working solo', erm, why would they help a competitor?
    For the first one I was referring to Asia as a whole, not China in particular!

And for the second one, I was thinking about like how it is in some other sports, where players can have multiple sponsors. Let's say adidas want to sponsor some player but perhaps work some deal with some other brand so that while that player wears adidas clothing they still use that other brands raquets. That doesn't seem too likely, still maybe worth asking though.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somehow the blame will probably fall on the consumers again who want things "cheap"/cheaper all the time. At least that came to light in one program featuring a factory in Bangladesh producing for H&M. But when you look at the margin between the store price and what H&M is paying for it you know where the money got "stuck" .
    Good question and one that will probably not get anything other than the standard respons ...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Backhand_Dave View Post
    Carlton are still big with club players in the UK (particularly the older ones) - second only to Yonex in terms of brand recognition and reputation (no other manufacturer even comes close).

Adidas are considered cheap and tacky, and just about the single chavviest brand around (except for maybe Kappa), and I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't be seen dead with any of their products (especially the type of people who play badminton). I really don't see their badminton range doing at all well over here...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Giga01 View Post
    For the first one I was referring to Asia as a whole, not China in particular!

And for the second one, I was thinking about like how it is in some other sports, where players can have multiple sponsors. Let's say adidas want to sponsor some player but perhaps work some deal with some other brand so that while that player wears adidas clothing they still use that other brands raquets. That doesn't seem too likely, still maybe worth asking though.
    well since Adidas git rid of 300 factories in China they will probably be doing similarly in the rest of Asia... Makes your question a bit moot.

what you mention later has got nothing to do with working with competitors. That's just how flexible sponsorship contracts are or aren't .
    Last edited by amleto; 01-26-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone here know when Adidas will release these apparels in the US? I'm anxious to get a pair of their shoes!

Page 12 of 110 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 62 ... LastLast