Footwork training app for iPhone

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by starzia, Jan 5, 2013.

1. starzia

starzia Regular Member

Please check out my new iPhone app:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/badminton-footwork-trainer/id530904252?mt=8

"Badminton Footwork Trainer" is a free iPhone and iPad app which helps athletes train their footwork for the singles event. The app announces a series of random numbers which instruct the athlete to move to the corresponding corners of the court. This kind of randomized footwork exercise helps athletes to develop a perfectly balanced "split step".

I'd appreciate any suggestions for improving the app.

2. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Thank you for your contribution starzia, i just downloaded the app ans i can't wait to use it. I think perhaps a way to improve it would be to replace the big number indicatibg the spot to run to by the time, as the spots already appear in red or orange in the court. Another improvement would be perhaps to signal each designated spot by a 'beep'.But the app looks already very nice!

3. renbo

renbo Regular Member

There is another improvement i can think of but would ask some work for you: when i practice my footwork i do one minute at high rythm and then one minute at slow rythm, then high rythm, etc. So it would be nice in your app if we could choose some algorithm, like in the running machine, where speed changes. But that is a considerable addition i suppose!

4. starzia

starzia Regular Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

When you say "replace the big number with the time" do you mean the total time so far? I think that's s good suggestion.

5. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Wouldn't it be more fun to play against someone who will ACTUALLY send the shuttle left, right, centre, front, back, cross-court etc ? :confused:

6. Dread97

Dread97 Regular Member

I just downloaded this and it's awesome :) way better than me just randomly doing footwork :p My only pet peeve with this app is that you have to turn on the sound effects of your iphone/ipod to hear the numbers, you can't just turn on the volume. Nevertheless, great job :D

7. starzia

starzia Regular Member

Yes, of course playing a singles game is more fun and I play real games whenever I can. But if you're serious about improving your game I think it is helpful to do focused training for footwork. During a game, you are thinking about winning the point -- thinking about shot placement and your opponent. Your court movement has to be explosive but subconscious and I think the only way to achieve this is to practice footwork consciously until the movements are totally natural.

That said, the ideal situation is to have a coach feed shuttles to random court positions, but a coach is a luxury for most of us.

8. TimothyHsu

TimothyHsu Regular Member

high schooler
    have you considered making this app for the android as well?

9. Resistor

Resistor Regular Member

Will love this on my android too..

10. starzia

starzia Regular Member

I probably won't write an Android version of the app because I have no experience writing apps for that platform.

11. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Maxout's comment does not make sense. If we push the logic all forms of training are futile, we should just play play play. But to progress and enjoy playing we have to train, and training footwork is absolutely usefull! Disregarding footwork practice is one of the most fundamental error!

12. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Hello, please read careful, I said "MORE FUN" .... :) , I never said training or footwork practice is futile when I also do the exercises myself !!

I am just alluding as to whether it is necessary for the "intrusion" of Iphone or whatever gadgets into badminton courts when playing or training with another REAL PERSON is more FUN and BETTER.

13. Phydhel

Phydhel Regular Member

I'm sure Starzia finds playing with a live organic player (with real-time growing protein and sparkling synapses) more fun and better too, just that with a phone we can train whenever and wherever we want. It's a superb idea and I'm all for this to be on Android too!!!

You can earn some cash man! Thanks for sharing Starzia, u da man!

14. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I see maxout's point, it is indeed more fun to train with a partner. The problem is it is not so easy to find someone willing to spend 20 minutes atnyour service! Or that has the will to do footwork exercise. In that way, the app is very convenient! Always there for you!

15. starzia

starzia Regular Member

Version 2.1 of the app was released today. In this update:

* Added a workout timer.
    * Slowed-down the 5&6 positions in badminton mode.
    * Made warning tone louder.
    * Reduced range of sliders to make them easier to adjust.

16. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

5&6 actually wasn't THAT fast; but the rear two corners were really slow in the original.
    love the app :)

17. tigerlam92

tigerlam92 Regular Member

Installed. Can't wait to use. It is hard to find someone whenever you want to do this for you at the court.

Thanks,
    Hugh