User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had my Asics Gel Strategy since mid-2000. The inside liner wore out so I bought some Dr. Scholl's insoles for sports. Also, the mesh part of the shoes were ripping, so I took it to a shoe repair shop in a mall, and they replaced it with some white leather (vinyl?). I've gone about 3 or 4 times.

I just had my right shoe (racquet foot) stitched in a few place as it was starting to rip. The shoe guy said that I may have to get a larger piece of leather/vinyl if I want to continue to patch it up. I think the shoe's days are numbered as I see some of the stitching starting to pull from the leather part of the shoe.

Besides that, the bottom of the shoe is still playable.

I definitely would go for another Asics shoe imo.

For those with Size 9 feet, check out Canuckstuff.com website. Someone mentioned this site before I think. But they're selling Asics 1000V for $ 69.99 on sale (for those who don't mind a volleyball shoe) for men.

Another thing, my right foot is slightly larger than my left foot. So I have to order size 10 shoes - good for my right foot, not so good for my left, but all I do is where thicker socks to compensate.

mg27

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think i mentioned that store first. It's around the corner from Winning Cycle & Sports (also mentioned a few times on BF.) Canuk's place is actually pretty nice... a huge wall of nothing but volleyball shoes. The sales rep was pretty knowledgable too. They even went through the list of shoe features and differences between the shoes. Great store for shoe & shirt needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey BRL:

Why doesn't Canuckstuff have other shoes listed on their website. They only show a few shoes or are they still doing upgrades to the site. Do you know if there's a sale on the 5000Vs.

thnx
    MG27

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

their online presence is horrible though. It takes them forever to update their web page or return emails. They probably have everything mizuno and asics makes for volleyball so drop them a email. I think the sale applies only to older models. Their price on newer models are still cheaper than sportchek's prices on old models though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a long search with retailers for an Asics Gel Tactic that would fit, I finally bit the bullet and bought a current model of Mizuno (not sure which Wave model, its the white one with lots of red trim).

They feel great and seem to cushion me very well without the need for insoles, thanks very much to those who pointed me in this direction!

My only concern is that it feels kind of high compared to my old court shoes...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though you couldn't find a pair of Asics Gel Tactics in your size, you're certainly not settling for "less" by going with Mizuno. They make great quality court shoes and certainly one of the most comfortable around.

Compared to your old court shoes, the extra cushioning that Mizuno and Asics put into their volleyball shoes certainly does add more thickness to the soles. Just keep a mental note to always pick up your feet right off the ground. If you get tired (or lazy) and start to drag your feet around, you'll certainly risk a potentially bad injury by rolling an ankle.

With the thicker soles of my Asics shoes, I always think of it as 2 extra advantages besides the obviously better cushioning:

1. A training tool. The shoe is noticeably heavier than badminton shoes (ie. Yonex) so I have to pick up my feet more. Prevents developing lazy habits by dragging my feet about the court. Besides a lot of footwork training, I think it's helped me become lighter on my feet. If I ever fully recover from my knee injuries, I know I can switch to lighter shoes and move even faster .

2. An early warning sysytem. When I am being lazy or just getting physically tired, my shoes usually tell me first because sometimes when I shuffle, I won't pick my feet up enough, and will almost trip over my feet. As soon as that happens I either realize I'm more tired than I thought, so I move more carefully or call it a night soon afterwards, or I realize that I'm being plain lazy, and so I start picking up the pace and get lighter on my feet.

Bottom line, be aware of the thicker soles and make adjustments so you don't roll your ankles. That kind of injury could put you out of badminton a long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wood22Chuck,

The 5000V are awesome shoes eh? I think you and I are the only ones in town to have them! That's hilarious that you had to hide them from your wife .

The color is a bit misleading, in website photos the color looks like gradients of black/grey fading to white but in reality it's actually black with gradients of purple fading into white. Even on shoe box it says the color is black & white... nothing about purple. At least it looks much better than the optional blue & white model imo.

You shouldn't have a problem with the soles at ClearOne. They are guaranteed to be non-marking by Asics. I even asked the Asics directly for that very reason (ClearOne). I've been training there all summer with mine and have never left a colored smear on the courts there. I've seen more black scuff marks left on the courts there from people wearing actual badminton shoes because they also wear them outside .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3