Head shoes or Asics shoes more duable than yonex?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by crazy_smasher, Oct 21, 2003.

1. crazy_smasher

crazy_smasher Regular Member

I broken my third yonex shoes within a few months (AR95, 2Ar85s) , they are surely comfortable but breaks so easily.

So i wanted to buy a more durable one. i am thinking of ASICS or HEAD shoes coz they look pretty robust.

What do u think about those 2 brands? Are HEAD shoes only meant for squash?
    Anyone have any feedback or recommendations for those 2 brands? I never tried Mizuno brand.

Which good place can i buy non-yonex shoes like ASICS, HEAD or mizuno in Singapore?

Thanks

2. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I would suggest the new hi-tek range, they have an extra piece of plastic sewn into the shoe where you would drag the trailing foor so that they don't wear through easily. They also give you superb grip, so much so that the other night where my Yonex would normally slide a bit the hi-tek just stuck to the floor causing me to sumersault over because of the momentum.

Hi-tek 400:3 Viper

3. avaya

avaya New Member

I agree with you, so easy to broken for yonex shoes. I like ASICS.

4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I have both ASICS and YONEX, and I think ASICS is very good and it's very durable.

PS: The two I have are Yonex 89MX and Asics Gel Rocket

5. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    My favourite badminton shoes are Asics volleyball shoes. They have great cushioning, support, and quality. Far better than Yonex in my opinion. I don't know about Head though because I always found them too heavy, so I've never bought a pair. Mizuno is also a really good quality company. Their volleyball shoes would also do just as well for badminton as Asics. More or less just personal preference.

6. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    These are my newest pair of Asics. I haven't even tried them on the court yet :).

Attached Files:

7. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    These are my current pair of Asics. I've used them for about half a year and they still look new. The tread is holding out really well and the only parts of the shoe that is really showing any wear is the inside. I wear orthotics and I'm really harsh on the inside of my shoes so it's no surprise to me. I'm still waiting for them to wear out so I can use my new pair... might be a long time though :).

Attached Files:

8. bambini

bambini Regular Member

bldg administrator
    i own a pair of yonex shb95 which is a good shoe but not that durable. even though i alternately use it with 3 other pairs, it looks worn out. i bought it oct '02. just recently purchased an asics gel hunter. very light and has a good traction on matted surface.

9. crazy_smasher

crazy_smasher Regular Member

Hi Timeless,

What are the newest model and the current model of ASICS u have attached the pictures of? Their approx. price?

The newest i know of is the GEL BLOCK which is supposed to be their Premier court shoe offered. As seen in the picture, ASICS pay special care in reinforcing the areas which is prone to wear and tear.

I think it is true that HEAD is heavier than other brand and not likely to be comfortable, but it is sturdy and cheaper. I will have a look at the asics models this week and try them.

I realise that in 3-4 months i break 1 yonex shoe Ar85(around SGD$45 here), so in 7-8 months, i break 2 shoes, so i think i am better off with a more expensive one.

One more thing, does the gel thing provide good cushion?

Thanks

10. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Hi Crazy_Smasher,

The first photo I posted is their latest 2004 top model here in North America (and most of the world). It's called the Asics Gel Typhoon. It retails here for about $170-$200CAD (Canadian). Definitely not cheap by any means. But like I said, it's their top shoe. There are less expensive, toned down, versions of it as well though with just less features. The Gel Typhoon, as with all the top of the line Asics shoes, has every Asics technology integrated into it which is why it's so expensive. Lower models might not have certain things you don't need such as their special ventilation system.

The second photo I posted is the Asics Gel 5000V. It's their top of the line shoe for 2003. It also retailed initially for about $170-$200CAD but now it's a bit less since the 2004 models have come out.

Keep in mind that in Singapore, the Asics shoe models might be named differently than here. In europe they sometimes sell them under different names so I don't know about Singapore. They might not even sell the same shoes in Singapore as they do here.

As for wear and tear quality, there is no comparison between Yonex and Asics. Personally, I think even the bottom of the line Asics volleyball shoes sold in N. America exceed the quality of even Yonex's top models. Before I bought my 5000V and Typhoon, I used to have a pair of Asics 2002 Gel Modesto's. They only cost $80CAD. To this day they look quite new except for a small tear near my smallest toe. That's after wearing it for almost a year, playing 4-5 days a week.

Gel technology doesn't really provide cushioning. It's a common misconception. What it actually does is disperse impact force horizontally away from the point of impact (the bottom of your feet) which is even more important. Cushioning is actually just the action of absorbing and reflecting the impact force back up your feet and legs. Any decent running shoe with a thick EVA sole will provide good cushioning. Mizuno is also a really good brand. Their Wave technology also disperses impact force horizontally. Anyway, that's why most hardcore runners (not joggers) buy Asics, Mizuno, New Balance, etc. and not Nike. Nike Air provides really nice cushioning and bounce, but doesn't do anything for dispersing the actual impact force of your feet, legs, and body. I had a really bad knee injury last year so I need the best shoes I can get so I don't feel it in my knees.

Good luck :).

11. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Hmm... are the higher-end models from Yonex less sturdy than their cheaper shoes? I've been using my pair of Yonex SHB-55LT for quite a while now, and except for a minor tear at the bending point between the side of the big toe and the rest of the foot, the shoes looks almost new still. During this time, two of my friends' SHB-92 have been falling apart, ripping and tearing along both the front and the sides of the shoe.

FYI, the three of us generally play 2 to 4 times a week, depending on our schedules.

-Rick

12. BobbyGeneric

BobbyGeneric Regular Member

IT professional
    Thanks for letting me know about those shoes, they look pretty good! But I really don't know where you're getting your prices from, the first Canadian store I found online that had them here had them for $150CAD and the retail on these things is $110USD (converts to about $145CAD using the great exchange rate we have right now) and additionally I've seen them online for as low as $95USD (about $125CAN) but you've got to add shipping to that. In any case I bet these shoes can be had for a lot cheaper than $170-$200CAD!

13. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Volleyballstuff.net is actually where I purchased both my 2004 Gel Typhoons and 2003 Gel 5000V. The prices I posted were retail prices of what you'd pay in a store. They always charge you a premium for their overhead (shipping, markup, etc.). Because those shoes are the top model, and thus expensive, not too many stores carry them. So if volleyballstuff.net has them for $150CAD now, you'll be paying 7% GST + shipping which would easily take you into the range of what I posted. Purchasing online from the US will be a bit cheaper because of the higher competition between US online volleyball stores. However, factor in the current CAD to USD exchange rate of 35%, shipping in USD, and the duty taxes customs will charge you to bring the shoes into Canada, and again you're getting close to that range. The shoes have been out for a few months now so the prices have dropped to what you found in your searches. Since you're in Kingston, ON, I'd be surprised if any stores there would carry either shoe so you'd probably have to purchase them online. Most people don't like purchasing clothing or shoes online because they can't try them on first. So I opted to post retail store price ranges instead of online store prices. Asics shoe sizes do not match Yonex sizes (and many other brands).

14. lizamart

lizamart Regular Member

businessperson
    my shoes

i agree, YONEX not too sturdy. i personally like hi-tec mids.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i think the tariff for importing shoes and clothing into canada is pretty high. Don't forget to including the cost of tarfff before buying outside of canada

16. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    Im a New Balance fan but they dont seem to have any court shoes on sale here.

I was looking at the nice looking Yonex shoes and I saw they were about US$20 cheaper than ASICS on the average.

I guess the general concensus is that Yonex shoes are not that durable.

Can anyone who has worn both Mizuno and Asics compare the two for shock absorption value?

thanks

17. bambini

bambini Regular Member

bldg administrator
    if you're lookiing for a mid-priced, good quality shoe that has good shock absorption, check out the mizuno wave series or the asics gel hunter. i'm on the heavy side and the heel of my foot hurts if the shoe i wear doesn't have shock absorption.

18. Toaster

Toaster Regular Member

I have both asics and yonex shoes and i found the asics way more durable than the yonex and also in shock absorption wise....however, the ones i got are nearly twice the price of yonex.....

19. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

asics are definitely more durable than yonex shoes IMO. i've gone through two different pairs of yonex shoes in the past 1 and a half. asics are quite comfortable and if you get the right one, can be just as light as yonex shoes.

HEAD shoes however are quite heavy IMO. I guess it depends on the model you get, but out of the ones i've tried, they seem a bit too bulky for my taste and make it harder for me to move compared to my yonex and asics.

20. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    New Balance makes great running shoes but I'm not thrilled about their court shoes. Mainly because of their unproven designs and boring esthetics. It seems like they're just trying to get some of the court shoe pie by whipping up some shoes designed off their outdoor running line.

I've heard from some players that Yonex shoes bought in Japan seem to be of higher quality than those bought in their export markets. However, that's a matter of quality assurance and durability, and not how good of a shoe they are in terms of shock absorption/dispersion.

The Asics Gel and Mizuno Wave technologies are pretty much equal for their ability to disperse shock. Both companies have spent many years researching and perfecting their own technologies. Asics and Mizuno are huge in volleyball (like Yonex is to badminton), and thus both companies' technologies are great at the dispersion of the tremendous shock received upon landing from great vertical jumps. I have worn many Asics and Mizuno shoes for both volleyball and badminton and there is really no difference in their ability to disperse shock. It's purely a personal preference. I make my choices dependant on the other features, and which shoe fits better.

Yonex shoes are perhaps created with smaller and lighter players in mind; the typical badminton player stereotype. However, with the game becoming more dynamic, and players getting larger, they're starting to work on shock absorption and other features. However, in my opinion, they're still far behind Mizuno and Asics who have always developed their shoes for tall athletes. Most professional volleyball players average well over 6' feet and also weigh considerably a lot due to their height alone. Volleyball players also jump much higher than most badminton players, with most professionals easily averaging verticals between 3 to 4.5 feet. I'm a lot heavier than most badminton players my height, and coupled with previous injuries, I require the shock absorption and support of volleyball shoes. Many people do just fine with Yonex shoes though, but some people are just harder on their shoes for various reasons I won't go into.

Head shoes are designed for tennis, and thus they are much heavier, and don't do very well at shock absorption. However, like most tennis shoes, they have good durability and support. I would never wear an indoor court shoe by Head, Prince, Wilson, or any company that primarily focuses on tennis. I've always felt their shoes were designed for indoor tennis rather than the pure indoor court sports.

Another company which makes high quality indoor court shoes is Hi-Tec. Their shoes are designed with squash and racquetball in mind, but I've seen a lot of people wear them from badminton. They have really good stability, durability, traction, lateral support, and are fairly light, but are also inferior in shock absorption compared to Mizuno and Asics. Afterall, when was the last time you saw a squash player jump smash :)? I personally don't like the Hi-Tec designs though from a pure esthetic point of view, but can't wear them anyway because of their mediocre shock absorption abilities.