User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Head shoes or Asics shoes more duable than yonex?

I broken my third yonex shoes within a few months (AR95, 2Ar85s) , they are surely comfortable but breaks so easily.

So i wanted to buy a more durable one. i am thinking of ASICS or HEAD shoes coz they look pretty robust.

What do u think about those 2 brands? Are HEAD shoes only meant for squash?
    Anyone have any feedback or recommendations for those 2 brands? I never tried Mizuno brand.

Which good place can i buy non-yonex shoes like ASICS, HEAD or mizuno in Singapore?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest the new hi-tek range, they have an extra piece of plastic sewn into the shoe where you would drag the trailing foor so that they don't wear through easily. They also give you superb grip, so much so that the other night where my Yonex would normally slide a bit the hi-tek just stuck to the floor causing me to sumersault over because of the momentum.

Hi-tek 400:3 Viper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you, so easy to broken for yonex shoes. I like ASICS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have both ASICS and YONEX, and I think ASICS is very good and it's very durable.

PS: The two I have are Yonex 89MX and Asics Gel Rocket

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favourite badminton shoes are Asics volleyball shoes. They have great cushioning, support, and quality. Far better than Yonex in my opinion. I don't know about Head though because I always found them too heavy, so I've never bought a pair. Mizuno is also a really good quality company. Their volleyball shoes would also do just as well for badminton as Asics. More or less just personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are my newest pair of Asics. I haven't even tried them on the court yet .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are my current pair of Asics. I've used them for about half a year and they still look new. The tread is holding out really well and the only parts of the shoe that is really showing any wear is the inside. I wear orthotics and I'm really harsh on the inside of my shoes so it's no surprise to me. I'm still waiting for them to wear out so I can use my new pair... might be a long time though .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i own a pair of yonex shb95 which is a good shoe but not that durable. even though i alternately use it with 3 other pairs, it looks worn out. i bought it oct '02. just recently purchased an asics gel hunter. very light and has a good traction on matted surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Timeless,

What are the newest model and the current model of ASICS u have attached the pictures of? Their approx. price?

The newest i know of is the GEL BLOCK which is supposed to be their Premier court shoe offered. As seen in the picture, ASICS pay special care in reinforcing the areas which is prone to wear and tear.

I think it is true that HEAD is heavier than other brand and not likely to be comfortable, but it is sturdy and cheaper. I will have a look at the asics models this week and try them.

I realise that in 3-4 months i break 1 yonex shoe Ar85(around SGD$45 here), so in 7-8 months, i break 2 shoes, so i think i am better off with a more expensive one.

One more thing, does the gel thing provide good cushion?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Crazy_Smasher,

The first photo I posted is their latest 2004 top model here in North America (and most of the world). It's called the Asics Gel Typhoon. It retails here for about $170-$200CAD (Canadian). Definitely not cheap by any means. But like I said, it's their top shoe. There are less expensive, toned down, versions of it as well though with just less features. The Gel Typhoon, as with all the top of the line Asics shoes, has every Asics technology integrated into it which is why it's so expensive. Lower models might not have certain things you don't need such as their special ventilation system.

The second photo I posted is the Asics Gel 5000V. It's their top of the line shoe for 2003. It also retailed initially for about $170-$200CAD but now it's a bit less since the 2004 models have come out.

Keep in mind that in Singapore, the Asics shoe models might be named differently than here. In europe they sometimes sell them under different names so I don't know about Singapore. They might not even sell the same shoes in Singapore as they do here.

As for wear and tear quality, there is no comparison between Yonex and Asics. Personally, I think even the bottom of the line Asics volleyball shoes sold in N. America exceed the quality of even Yonex's top models. Before I bought my 5000V and Typhoon, I used to have a pair of Asics 2002 Gel Modesto's. They only cost $80CAD. To this day they look quite new except for a small tear near my smallest toe. That's after wearing it for almost a year, playing 4-5 days a week.

Gel technology doesn't really provide cushioning. It's a common misconception. What it actually does is disperse impact force horizontally away from the point of impact (the bottom of your feet) which is even more important. Cushioning is actually just the action of absorbing and reflecting the impact force back up your feet and legs. Any decent running shoe with a thick EVA sole will provide good cushioning. Mizuno is also a really good brand. Their Wave technology also disperses impact force horizontally. Anyway, that's why most hardcore runners (not joggers) buy Asics, Mizuno, New Balance, etc. and not Nike. Nike Air provides really nice cushioning and bounce, but doesn't do anything for dispersing the actual impact force of your feet, legs, and body. I had a really bad knee injury last year so I need the best shoes I can get so I don't feel it in my knees.

Good luck .

Originally posted by crazy_smasher
    Hi Timeless,

What are the newest model and the current model of ASICS u have attached the pictures of? Their approx. price?

The newest i know of is the GEL BLOCK which is supposed to be their Premier court shoe offered. As seen in the picture, ASICS pay special care in reinforcing the areas which is prone to wear and tear.

I think it is true that HEAD is heavier than other brand and not likely to be comfortable, but it is sturdy and cheaper. I will have a look at the asics models this week and try them.

I realise that in 3-4 months i break 1 yonex shoe Ar85(around SGD$45 here), so in 7-8 months, i break 2 shoes, so i think i am better off with a more expensive one.

One more thing, does the gel thing provide good cushion?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm... are the higher-end models from Yonex less sturdy than their cheaper shoes? I've been using my pair of Yonex SHB-55LT for quite a while now, and except for a minor tear at the bending point between the side of the big toe and the rest of the foot, the shoes looks almost new still. During this time, two of my friends' SHB-92 have been falling apart, ripping and tearing along both the front and the sides of the shoe.

FYI, the three of us generally play 2 to 4 times a week, depending on our schedules.

-Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by timeless

The second photo I posted is the Asics Gel 5000V. It's their top of the line shoe for 2003. It also retailed initially for about $170-$200CAD but now it's a bit less since the 2004 models have come out.

Thanks for letting me know about those shoes, they look pretty good! But I really don't know where you're getting your prices from, the first Canadian store I found online that had them here had them for $150CAD and the retail on these things is $110USD (converts to about $145CAD using the great exchange rate we have right now) and additionally I've seen them online for as low as $95USD (about $125CAN) but you've got to add shipping to that. In any case I bet these shoes can be had for a lot cheaper than $170-$200CAD!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Volleyballstuff.net is actually where I purchased both my 2004 Gel Typhoons and 2003 Gel 5000V. The prices I posted were retail prices of what you'd pay in a store. They always charge you a premium for their overhead (shipping, markup, etc.). Because those shoes are the top model, and thus expensive, not too many stores carry them. So if volleyballstuff.net has them for $150CAD now, you'll be paying 7% GST + shipping which would easily take you into the range of what I posted. Purchasing online from the US will be a bit cheaper because of the higher competition between US online volleyball stores. However, factor in the current CAD to USD exchange rate of 35%, shipping in USD, and the duty taxes customs will charge you to bring the shoes into Canada, and again you're getting close to that range. The shoes have been out for a few months now so the prices have dropped to what you found in your searches. Since you're in Kingston, ON, I'd be surprised if any stores there would carry either shoe so you'd probably have to purchase them online. Most people don't like purchasing clothing or shoes online because they can't try them on first. So I opted to post retail store price ranges instead of online store prices. Asics shoe sizes do not match Yonex sizes (and many other brands).

Originally posted by BobbyGeneric
    Thanks for letting me know about those shoes, they look pretty good! But I really don't know where you're getting your prices from, the first Canadian store I found online that had them here had them for $150CAD and the retail on these things is $110USD (converts to about $145CAD using the great exchange rate we have right now) and additionally I've seen them online for as low as $95USD (about $125CAN) but you've got to add shipping to that. In any case I bet these shoes can be had for a lot cheaper than $170-$200CAD!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default my shoes

i agree, YONEX not too sturdy. i personally like hi-tec mids.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think the tariff for importing shoes and clothing into canada is pretty high. Don't forget to including the cost of tarfff before buying outside of canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im a New Balance fan but they dont seem to have any court shoes on sale here.

I was looking at the nice looking Yonex shoes and I saw they were about US$20 cheaper than ASICS on the average.

I guess the general concensus is that Yonex shoes are not that durable.

Can anyone who has worn both Mizuno and Asics compare the two for shock absorption value?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you're lookiing for a mid-priced, good quality shoe that has good shock absorption, check out the mizuno wave series or the asics gel hunter. i'm on the heavy side and the heel of my foot hurts if the shoe i wear doesn't have shock absorption.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast