Carlton Kinesis vs. Z-Slash..

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by mrfrewster, Jan 7, 2013.

1. mrfrewster

mrfrewster Regular Member

work at a desk
    All things being equal....which racket would come out on top....

2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    if i was using them, the z slash, because i feel that the kinesis just don't have enough weight on it. also, while playing i feel that the kinesis is much shorter than the z slash. yes i know they are about the same length and i do own both of them. but for some reason my timing is never right when using the kinesis so i keep framing the shuttle. the kinesis is so light that besides drives, all my other shots are rendered useless. clear shots take extra effors, smash shots i didn't even bother, and drop shots has no moment so i can't let the racket drive the shuttle for the drop shots.

one thing that the kinesis excel over the z slash, drives and blocks at the net. because the racket is extra light (to me) reacting to drives or trying to block took almost no effort. unfortunately, because the shaft (to me) is flexible, even a slight swing of the racket will render a delayed shot including net kills.

but i do find the kinesis very fun to play with because i love whipping the racket around as if i'm indiana jones:) i usually use the racket if i'm playing with friends who i know i can beat so even if my timing is off i'll still be on top. however, it would definitely not my go-to racket because it's just too light and too flexible for serious play.

the z slash was surprisingly flexible and power from the racket is endless...even when the shuttle is struck at around head level sideways with backswing, still powerful. the only difficult part which has also been discuss numerous times on this forum is the relatively smaller sweet spot. the head frame is not a full size isometric, so to me i see it as more of an oval head. but when you make a clear contact with the sweet spot, it's awesome.

i have played against opponents who used the kinesis and another who used the z slash. what i noticed is that the guy who used the kinesis for doubles, he's great at the net blocking a lot of shots and sometimes even getting lucky blocking a smash shot. the other opponent using the z slash for doubles he's used to smashing from the back line as well as whipping a backhand cross court from his mid court to my mid court. if you like at least semi flexible to flexible rackets, then you'll enjoy these.  but if you have a fast swing speed and not much whip, then you might find these rackets useless or just plain weird.

of course there are pros who uses both rackets, i think there's a denmark men's single player who is using the kinesis and there's Tago from japan who used the z slash. you be the judge :)

#2 gundamzaku, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    If they are both equal, then neither would come out on top! :p

4. mrfrewster

work at a desk
    About 6 or so months ago, my old racket was feeling tired....so I tried a re-string, higher tension & new grip.Unfortunately it still didn't feel as though it could compete with modern rackets.....so, I tried a friends Voltric....and then a Z-slash...but still they didn't feel "right".....so, I returned to Carlton & firstly plumped for the Razor v1.3 as my 'doubles' racket.....then, I was lucky enough to get the Kinesis for Christmas.....I played last night with both Razor & Kinesis.....and I have to honestly say that I prefer both of them over Yonex rackets.....but the Kinesis felt amazing....I'd read other reviews about timing issues....but when I came to smash, it lived up to all expectations.....and more.....The way it cleaves through the air as if it's not there is astounding....I didn't even notice the difference in length....Oh.....and it looks gorgeous....I'll be playing against someone with a Z-slash on a few days...so....we shall see how it compares....

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    well unless you're exactly the same as your opponent, thats not really the best way of making a comparison. i also have the razor 1.2 (head heavy version) and it's definitely stiffer than the kinesis. while you're in a racket testing mood, try out the vapour trail tour. to me thats still a better racket. however i do agree with you that the kinesis is sexy. from time to time i'd take it off my wall and just look at it :)

6. mrfrewster

work at a desk
    The games against my opponent with the Z-slash are very evenly matched...I found last night using the Kinesis, clears felt effortless...smash returns flew back off the racket to the rear of the court....The sound the racket makes through the air is very satisfying....and like nothing I've heard before.

7. danavsbelly

danavsbelly New Member

manager
    yeah.agree with you that the kinesis is sexy. from time to time i'd take it off my wall and just look at it.[​IMG]

8. meteor

meteor Regular Member

Kinesis is a great racket. I found it much better than ZS in most areas.
    In fact, apart from smash power, i can think of another notable quality ZS has... maybe the fact that is yellow... :) And the minuscule head is trouble.
    I tried Kinesis in both singles and doubles and found it amazing.
    It will take some time to resolve timing issues but once you get it right, it's bliss! I doublt there's anything out there with such power to low swing weight ratio.