Victor racket durability

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by hairfreak07, Jan 8, 2013.

1. hairfreak07

hairfreak07 Regular Member

Hi players and coaches,

I hope someone can share their experience and opinions on the issue below.

I bought a Victor MX70 in September 2012, broke after 5 uses. Replaced by another in late October, broke last night pretty much at the same spot, about 1cm higher this time on the head, right in the center on the cross string side. Both rackets were strung with BG66 Maxima with 23lbs by an experienced stringer. There's 1 clash on one, 4 clashes on the other.

My friend brought one too in October, broke last month.

It is a cracking racket but it's sad to say even the string lasts longer..

I've been playing badminton for 14 years. I have been using the Yonex AT900 and Nano9000 for 4 years, until last summer when I decided to try Victor.

Is anyone experiencing the same issue with Victor's build quality?

HF07

2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i had a couple of clashes with my superwave35 and no cracks yet. looking at the cross section of the frame of the sw35 and at900p, it looks like the sw35 has thicker frame than the at900p, just that the at900p has a layer of foam inside where as the sw35 is actually hollow. i know this because i was just at a local badminton store and i brought up the issue of victor rackets feeling "hollow" and the person there helped me understand it a bit better by showing me two cracked rackets...sw35 and at900p.

from going to tournaments, i see broken rackets from all brands, it really depends on how it's broken. back 20yrs i played with an RSL i4000 and had a clash with an educational black knight racket my partner was using, game over.

my friend who only uses at900p have broken three of them so far...so go figures :)

3. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Having a clash is like playing russian roulette.

4. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I have a 3 and 4U MX80 and a 3U SW35. All 3 are strung at 30lbs and have been clashed. So far so good as none of them have broken but they are very strong rackets. 23lbs isn't excessively tight and all rackets should be able to soak up a few clashes. Maybe its a batch problem? I recommend getting in contact with the retailer or Victor to see what they have to say?

5. gundamzaku

working professional
    true that tension of the string do play a roll on how much pressure the frame is taking. i strung mine at 24lbs so that's way under average of what i know people usually string their rackets.

6. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    Your racquets are under warranty. If the area that cracked shows no signs of impact damage, Victor 'should' be able to replace it for you.
    If there is prior damage, then blame the user.

7. SolsticeOfLight

That is a silly statement.

8. Benwilluk

Benwilluk Regular Member

Marketing
    I think you have been unlucky here as my MX60 has been battered and it is still going strong - two big chips at 12 o clock on each side and had another big clash with an old Prince racket last night in a match and still survived - I do fear one more might be the last though!

As Solstice pointed out above though a clash is pot luck as a team mate of mine broke his VT70 in the first 2 weeks of use after one clash!

9. slice99

slice99 Regular Member

I agree with Benwilluk, you have been unlucky in my opinion... Actualy i think victor rackets are pretty solid : both of my victor BS10 survived clashes and painfull misshits for about 3 years and yet, both of them still feel solid. No problem with my new mx80 also :)

10. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    And why is that SoL? If you are going to criticise then you should back it up with your reason and then I can criticise you back it :)

11. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    IME you have to use an excessive amount of force to break a racket and to be incredibly unlucky hence my opinion of rackets should be able to handle a few clashes. So the question to the OP is did you clash the racket or is there any evidence of a clash where the racket broke?

12. zombiez

zombiez Regular Member

Full time Dad
    Maybe the root cause is the stringing. You mentioned that your stringer doesn't follow the correct stringing pattern in the broken rackets sub-forum. There you go. Root cause found. Ask your stringer to replace your racket. Then change stringer.

13. SolsticeOfLight

That's not really true though. Where the clash happens, and the timing are probably the biggest factor. Don't forget that you're more likely to have a clash when the shuttle's moving fast towards you (so you don't have time for effective communication). That means that in most cases your stroke is going to be hard enough to break your racket if hit in the right place with the right timing. The rest is just statistics.

14. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    In your opinion. :)

With all the factors you point out then obviously you will break your racket but I have had my fair share of clashes and I have never broken a racket or broken someone elses racket or even heard of peoples rackets breaking so your theory of "most cases" is unsound. I bet if you asked everyone on BC how many times they have clashed their rackets and how many times they broke you will find that most rackets remain intact and it's the unlucky few that break.

15. gundamzaku

working professional
    i have had clashes but no breaks, but nowadays, i love my rackets too much that i would rather sacrifice a point than clash my babies with other rackets. besides, it's only recreational games. for tournaments, i train myself to play well with the cab and since it's only $43USD and i have 4 of them, i swing for the fences :)

16. SolsticeOfLight

I've only broken 1 racket in the almost 20 years I've been playing, but I rarely have clashes anyway.
    And what I was saying is that there's enough energy in a swing to break a racket. You just have to use that energy in the right way to achieve a broken racket. That doesn't mean that most clashes will result in a breakage though.

17. hairfreak07

hairfreak07 Regular Member

Thanks to everyone for your generous and honest reply, it is much appreciated.

I must examine the clash and see if they were the causes of the breakage. The first one had a mark where it snapped. But when it broke it was a week later during a mixed doubles games, I'm pretty sure it snapped from just hitting a shot. This one was strung to Victor's recommendation.

It is hard to believe in breaking the first racket in 14 years, then the replacement after 2 months. I'm not a hard hitter, I play the space with accuracy and create opportunities for my partner to attack, not many mishits. My Nanospeed 9000S has 34 damages and it still plays fine. Solid racket. The MX70 looked hollow.. But then, my girlfriend has been using my MX60 for about 6 months, still in one piece. I'm tempted to try the BW12 but cannot afford to spend €360 in 4 months on rackets.

Sometimes it comes down to your partner too, players with wrong technique and refuses to change. One player broke 3 other peoples rackets in a year, big mad swing instead of a hold and precise hit with forearm followed by the flick of a wrist. Then the other racket is always on the receiving end.

18. gundamzaku

working professional
    I would yell at the partner over and over again during the one time I played with him then never play with him again...not worth breaking a high end racket! Partners come and go, but rackets cost money!!

19. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I have experiences with the SW35, BS10 and MX80. All strung at 32/30 lbs. All using more than 1 year. SW35 for 3 years and BS10 for 2 years.No problems. Had some clashes and still go strong. Only some paint chips. With one of my MX 80 I killed a friends YY TI 10.
    If you play Badminton serious you must accept broken rackets. This is part of the game.
    Every racket can break if you have bad luck. You can kill a racket with only one clash.
    I would try to get a replacement from Victor. They are really nice and gave me a replace for my broken BS10. I don't think that Victor has a bad durability. I have seen broken rackets of several brands, too

20. zewill

zewill Regular Member

Student
    When you say replaced, you mean the brand gave you a replacement or you just went ahead and purchased another racquet?