Still Looking for Flight C/D Level Player in the South Bay!

Discussion in 'USA West' started by gundamzaku, Jan 8, 2013.

1. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i usually play doubles and am looking for someone who can show up consistently at least once a week to play together and possibly play in open tournaments this coming year. i mainly play in the south bay. i have traveled as far as south san francisco but would rather not travel in order to play. if you've played in california then you would have an idea of the level i'm asking for in flight C/D. on a good day, i'm a C+ player, on a bad day, D+. please PM me so we can set up a time to play together to see if we can be partners for men's doubles.

2. gundamzaku

working professional
    bump, still looking for a partner i can practice on a weekly basis so that we can join some open tournaments in men's doubles as well as mixed doubles. please pm me. i prefer practicing in the south bay but during the weekends i can meet in the north bay but probably not every week. in the south bay i can play from sunnyvale to milpitas to menlo park to fremont :)

3. gundamzaku

working professional
    bump, anyone???

4. schemeMonsta

schemeMonsta Regular Member

If you're still looking, then I'd be willing to play on the weekends. I usually have a partner I play with on the weekdays, but still looking for someone/group to go with on weekends. I played 4 years in high school and have played pretty consistently for the past year. C/D men's doubles player. I usually play around burlingame area, but I'd be willing to go down to sunnyvale if it's a good spot. Let me know.

5. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

How do you determine your own level? I've never played in a tournament but is there some kind of point system like in ping pong clubs?
    I make 1-5 serve errors, couple stupid serve-reply errors, and maybe a few easy-I-am-so-ready-hey-where-is-the-birdie errors each game. Does that make me a C/D/E player?
    Just curious :)

6. schemeMonsta

From what I know, it's kinda just based on what you observe and experience. I think with badminton as with most hobbies/activities that you get better at, you'll realize that there's a lot of intricacy that you missed previously. There's no official system. Most players on the challenge courts are C/D level players (I believe D is the lowest you'll see in tournaments), although some may be better. Everyone makes errors, although the less unforced errors, the better. I think if you were to really give it a binary categorization, then it'd be this question:
    Can you hit the shots that you want to hit with reasonable consistency?

I know i'm a C/D player because I've played in a couple of tournaments at that level.

7. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

No :(
    Can be anywhere from 30% to 70% depending on the phrase of the moon... especially the sliding dropshots.

8. schemeMonsta

Don't worry about it. If u just keep playing u'll get better! :)

Also, you could probably search youtube for home videos at tournaments of C/D level players to give you a more concrete idea.