User Tag List

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

certainly from the article, there are similarities between the tennis players and the Chinese badminton players. they want to play less. they want to play less perhaps it is too stressful/tiring, or too taxing to the body and may cause injuries. but in the end, they believe the schedule imposed by the federations is too much for them to handle.

in the case of the tennis players, they want to have a meeting with the federations and hopefully they want to agree on a common ground. i think that's a good approach to achieve what they want.

what i am not sure is whether China has approached the issue similarly, by trying to start a conversation with BWF, or has it already been done there were not any agreement made?

in both cases, it seems that the bargaining chip in the players' side is their crowd drawing power. which translates to money through ticket sales, tv deals and sponsorship.

certainly the more civilized path taken by the tennis players will garner more sympathy than the path taken by the Chinese, which most of the time get casted as the villian.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

another interesting point (and sidetrack) pointed out by demolidor is the tv rights.

now that BWF is very actively broadcasting badminton via youtube, how much does that affect the TV rights? i understand that youtube streaming is blocked for countries which has signed TV rights.

but does that mean TV station has less incentive to broadcast badminton but instead broadcast some other more lucrative sports?

"hey, look, if our viewers don't get to watch badminton through us, they can still watch it in youtube. let's forget about badminton and sign some football/tennis/golf deals instead to make us more money, eh?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Withdrawal here and withdrawal there.......hmmmmm....why not you and me kwun just pair together and replace Fu HF/CY ( your face and me like chinese already what)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you think about it, there hasn't actually been any "controversy"

All withdrawals had to be approved by a BWF certified doctor as well as confirmed by the tournament referee and umpire yes? Therefore it is purely speculation that they've done something immoral with no definitive proof.

End of the day, ultimately the BWF were happy for the players to withdraw, no matter what anyone thinks.

The "controversy" has been created by people who like to read into situations.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's really surprising that no one has brought up the point that most of the CBA players have been pretty active on the CBSL circuit the past 2-3 months...

Not that I have anything against the CBSL; it's a good way of popularising the sport (in China, that is,) and allowing some of the top international players to earn some more deserved cash.

In the context of the CBSL background, the withdrawals etc (if not "real" injuries etc) take on a rather ominous aspect.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post

All withdrawals had to be approved by a BWF certified doctor as well as confirmed by the tournament referee and umpire yes? Therefore it is purely speculation that they've done something immoral with no definitive proof.

End of the day, ultimately the BWF were happy for the players to withdraw, no matter what anyone thinks.

The "controversy" has been created by people who like to read into situations.
    i would view it as a highly statistical event - can it be a mere coincidence?

Regarding CBSL, that has nothing to do with BWF so BWF cannot give allowances for player having played in a separately organised event.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    i would view it as a highly statistical event - can it be a mere coincidence?

Regarding CBSL, that has nothing to do with BWF so BWF cannot give allowances for player having played in a separately organised event.
    My point re. the CBSL was simply this: if the players were able to generally maintain fitness all through the CBSL season and participate actively, it kind-of slaps you in the face when so many of their top, toughest and most capable players suddenly all-fall-down in synchronised chaos. Just another way of making your "mere co-incidence" point...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    More like "some weird s**t is goin' on" than "controversy".
    Although in this case, the regular perpetrators do such thing so often it's barely "weird" anymore.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shooting stroke View Post
    Withdrawal here and withdrawal there.......hmmmmm....why not you and me kwun just pair together and replace Fu HF/CY ( your face and me like chinese already what)
    definitely wrong. I should get priority over Kwun to partner you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently, Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang RECEIVED a walkover from Shu Cheng and Zhao Yunlei

LYB is turning badminton into a joke.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a surprise, since cheng/zhao is a new pairing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Borbor View Post
    That is a surprise, since cheng/zhao is a new pairing.
    Hardly. Cheng was Zhao's regular partner since her junior days before they were split to form 2 new pairs (Cheng/Lady Pan Pan and Zhao/Tian Qing).

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

wrong post, wrong thread....

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Let's look at some good out of this. China's players dropping out on the face of it, doesn't look good. Rules are rules and BWF will probably have a review no doubt.

Interestingly, this really opens up the draws. Some players get better rest periods in the tournament and non-China players, well, have a chance to go further. Back in their home countries, those non-China players will go further in the tournament securing better funding because of the results.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there was an opinion that all the 4 retirements by china team in day 1 is to let the class A players get home earlier and get in to their special training camp. but if that is really the case, what are XC/MJ and ZN/ZYL doing there in the competition till SFs? they're surely china class A players too, right?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shooting stroke View Post
    we might have to play mixed doubles with you at the back!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Let's look at some good out of this. China's players dropping out on the face of it, doesn't look good. Rules are rules and BWF will probably have a review no doubt.

Interestingly, this really opens up the draws. Some players get better rest periods in the tournament and non-China players, well, have a chance to go further. Back in their home countries, those non-China players will go further in the tournament securing better funding because of the results.
    wouldn't have mattered in the case of Wong Wing Ki not in CL's side of the bracket But glad to see he's into the SF.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast