User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just measured my elbow to ground with a surveying laser and get 115.9cm, which is about perfect for me with the new rules, 2 inches lower than my rib shouldn't affect my play much at all... (i'm 186cm tall or 6'2 thereabouts). I have a relatively conservative service in doubles and find that most of the time people end up hitting returns upwards.

For people complaining that it will affect them i'm above average height and if you're serving above 110cm you're serving at my lowest rib height

However for those thinking that the shorter people will get an advantage, 110cm means that the shuttle HAS to go up over the net in trajectory, I don't see how this affects them.
    Last edited by AimUk; 01-11-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ok. stepping back a little.

is it really that big of a deal? as we already found out, the difference is maybe an inch or 2. which hardly of any consequence.

most of the issues with service judging is not really about the exact height of the waist, but instead the inconsistency and questionable timing of the service judging.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    most of the issues with service judging is not really about the exact height of the waist, but instead the inconsistency and questionable timing of the service judging.
    So what you are saying is that it's the service judges who need correcting and not the players.

How about some sort of altimeter built into the birdie which, if too high at service, will send a powerful TASER shock to the service judges chair and jolt them into action in a consistent fashion. Hmmmm, I like it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    As an umpire/service judge myself, I do agree when watching international matches that they are quite lenient. It is also hard that some players serve so fast and you have a small window frame in making some calls. I think they are especially lenient on short serves, as I guess they feel like it does not make TOO MUCH of a difference. I see a lot of short serves up to the chest go uncalled for.

This would lead to another debate though. I've sat in the chair, usually if you are to call a serve, you call it early at the beginning to let the players know but after that you just let them play as you don't want to ruin the match calling 20 service faults.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

just to clarify, i am not saying having a fixed reference doesn't help. it will make it better as now there is a much more defined reference instead of having the service judge "guess" where the lower rib is.

but still, we have seen a few times where the service judge quite interestingly calls a service fault at 19-20 while never called one before. players response is usually the "what?! i have been doing the same all game!"

to be honest though, if the player do fault every single time, i would call them all. if he/she doesn't correct it after 2 calls, then he is probably too dumb to play this game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being tall is having advantage in playing already, giving a inch or two , what is the big deal.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by latecomer View Post
    Being tall is having advantage in playing already
    How come LD, LCW are short asses and the best? tall folk can take less over head, have a lower center of gravity(balance) and are slower to get down to shots.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being tall is having advantage in playing already, giving a inch or two , what is the big deal.
    It's not like being tall automatically makes you good. It has advantages but also a LOT of inconvenients

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    How come LD, LCW are short asses and the best? tall folk can take less over head, have a lower center of gravity(balance) and are slower to get down to shots.
    How tall are LD and LCW? Given a choice, you want to be tall or short?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blableblibloblu View Post
    It's not like being tall automatically makes you good. It has advantages but also a LOT of inconvenients
    Again, given a choice, you want to be tall or short?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How tall are LD and LCW? Given a choice, you want to be tall or short?
    For singles i would rather be short 5'8" or so, i think it is an advantage to be around that height. No tall person could ever get about the court like LCW(5'7") and LD(5'9"). Could go into it more but it's off topic.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, given a choice, you want to be tall or short?
    I'd rather be short, your point?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone consider 5'7 and 5'9 are short, I have nothing to say. Or if someone believe being short have advantage in sport, I have nothing to say also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone consider 5'7 and 5'9 are short, I have nothing to say. Or if someone believe being short have advantage in sport, I have nothing to say also.
    it's below average in a lot of places in the world so I don't think calling 5'7" is really a stretch. But Chen long is taller than average and moves pretty fast around the court. On topic : is this rule going to be put into effect in any major tournaments soon?.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by decoy View Post
    it's below average in a lot of places in the world so I don't think calling 5'7" is really a stretch. But Chen long is taller than average and moves pretty fast around the court. On topic : is this rule going to be put into effect in any major tournaments soon?.
    With Bwf's record they probably will trial it out at the next major t'ment and f*** it all up

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by decoy View Post
    On topic : is this rule going to be put into effect in any major tournaments soon?.
    I do not know about that. There isn't really much information on it. I do know that an experiment period is for 6 months usually. By July, they will have another GCR meeting and decide whether it will be permanent or they will take it out.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this ideas is a piece of ****!
    bwf should be much more careful when changing rules, scoring systems and whatsoever.

for the service judge, it easier to figure out whether a service is above waist-level than whether it is below 1.2m.
    this idea is just ridiculous.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast