User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Best players without a major

Does a list of best players without a major exist?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bao Chunlai, Chen Hong, Lee Hyun-il, Lee Chong Wei, Peter Gade

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

please add my name on it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you consider major? Olympics? WC? SS? GPG? Any international title?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phili View Post
    What do you consider major? Olympics? WC? SS? GPG? Any international title?
    I am fairly new to the game of badminton, just recently converted from playing golf to badminton, I wish I had discovered badminton earlier, that why I do not have adequate knowledge to identify which events qualify as majors. In golf, there are 4 majors, the conversation of who are the best players never won a major comes up all the time, that why I am wondering is a list existed in badminton too. A major is I believe is every player desperate wanting to win. Like Tiger Wood, he does not care about other tournaments except the 4 majors. His season would consider a failure if he does not win anyone of those even finish in 2nd place. With badminton I can only think of 3, world championship, olympic and all england.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by latecomer View Post
    I am fairly new to the game of badminton, just recently converted from playing golf to badminton, I wish I had discovered badminton earlier, that why I do not have adequate knowledge to identify which events qualify as majors. In golf, there are 4 majors, the conversation of who are the best players never won a major comes up all the time, that why I am wondering is a list existed in badminton too. A major is I believe is every player desperate wanting to win. Like Tiger Wood, he does not care about other tournaments except the 4 majors. His season would consider a failure if he does not win anyone of those even finish in 2nd place. With badminton I can only think of 3, world championship, olympic and all england.
    In badminton there are 5 tournaments / year that have premier status on the tour. Korean Open, All-England, Indonesia Open, Denmark Open and China Open. These are the most prestigeous tournaments apart from Olympics and World Championships (both individual and Team WCs) that all players prioritize for the medal and pride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that for the chinese players, and public alike, the team competition (uber, thomas and surdiman cups) are much more important then the all england or any other open. I would guess the same is true for malaysians and indonisians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    please add my name on it
    yup.
    add my name too.
    since lindan/lee chongwei yet to beat both of us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twobeer View Post
    In badminton there are 5 tournaments / year that have premier status on the tour. Korean Open, All-England, Indonesia Open, Denmark Open and China Open. These are the most prestigeous tournaments apart from Olympics and World Championships (both individual and Team WCs) that all players prioritize for the medal and pride.
    Traditionally, All England is more important than the other four. At least for CHN players, they pay more attention on All England. Korean Open and Indonesia Open are less important for them. They dont even want to participate Korean Open because it is very close to chinese new year and normally and they will go to trainning camp during that period of time. Indonesia Open is held just before WC and OG, they will try to avoid getting injured during the tournaments. But for All England, it's treated as like WC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You just saved me the trouble of reposting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Titles (majors) to win IF you want to be reagrded as a "hero" IN MY BOOKS :

1) THOMAS / UBER CUP (if you are Malaysian, Indonesian, Korean or Chinese badminton fans)
    2) Olympics GOLD (silver, etc don't count !!)
    3) All-England
    4) World Championship

Everything is else is just for the "pocket money" ... something LCW is very good at ....

Like Lionel Messi, he can win 100 BALLONS, 100 La Ligas, etc ... NO WORLD CUP, he is a "dud" when compared to Pele, Maradona, Mueller ... !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maxout View Post

1) THOMAS / UBER CUP (if you are Malaysian, Indonesian, Korean or Chinese badminton fans)
    3) All-England
    4) World Championship

Everything is else is just for the "pocket money" ... something LCW is very good at ....

Like Lionel Messi, he can win 100 BALLONS, 100 La Ligas, etc ... NO WORLD CUP, he is a "dud" when compared to Pele, Maradona, Mueller ... !!!
    then it seems like the hero in your books is very lonely indeed........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Majors are the ones no players want to miss, for example, this year Korean do not count because Lin dan was no where to be found.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3) All-England
    4) World Championship

I believe there is only one name in YOUR BOOK - Lin Dan. And it will be for at least a decade more.

I'm with you more or less. Except that I won't be so harsh on Messi - how is he going to win the World Cup when he has to depend on the other 10 teammates to perform together as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Titles (majors) to win IF you want to be reagrded as a "hero" IN MY BOOKS:

3) All-England
    4) World Championship
    It is perhaps wise to remove Korean badminton fans (a category that barely exists) from the TUC list. The Uber Cup win was not even televised in Korea and no one in the mainstream knew or cared. If you focus on certain countries at all - i.e. exclude Europe - then are there not other countries, apart from Korea, who put the Asian Games ahead of the Worlds?
    Quote Originally Posted by latecomer View Post
    Majors are the ones no players want to miss, for example, this year Korean do not count because Lin dan was no where to be found.
    I think this underlines what others were saying about the All England. It was the only tournament with every single strong player even before the BWF started fining top 10 players for missing it, the other SSP events, and the SSF. What we started seeing, beginning with the Indonesia Open 2012, was top players risking the fines to skip SSP events. The Worlds have never really been snubbed and nor has the All England.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the fact is you can't make it a major just by adding 'Premier' in the name!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think that the list goes:

1. Olympics
    2. Asian games (Asia only)
    2. World Championships
    3. All England
    4. Thomas/Uber/Sudirman Cup (Unless you are Chinese, this would be 3.)

Perhaps for Europeans the European title may go in 3 or 4.

I would consider the Olympics/Asian Games/World Championships to be the "MAJOR" titles. All England is simply a special super series event in my opinion. "All England" champion just doesn't have the same feel as "World Champion".

As far as players go.. Lee Chong Wei, Jung Jae Sung, Carsten Mogensen.. can't think of any more at the moment. Only players who haven't won the Olympics/AG/WC and have been of World #1 quality for an extended period of time should make it to the list.

18. Likes pcll99 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast