Yonex Carbonex 15 - what type of racket and any good?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Ultrasonic, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Ultrasonic

Ultrasonic New Member

Medical Physicist
    Hi all,

First post, hope this is right place for it.

After a gap of about 10 years I'm starting to get back into playing badminton again (forgive me for having stopped!). I played lots at school and university, to a fair standard but nothing outstanding. A good club player would have easily beaten me though I suspect.

I have a Carbonex 15 racket that I bought in the late '90s. Reading a few posts here I've seen lots of discussion about rackets being head light/heavy, or more aimed and singles or doubles. Where would my racket fit into this mix? Also, it's old now, but is it a reasonable racket or should I be looking to replace it. I could easily afford to but don't want to waste money if there is no need.

I have a suspicion that my racket is currently strung tighter than appropriate for my current talents (or lack thereof!). I expect the answer is no, but is there any way for me to check or even get a rough idea of its current tension? I've had it restrung in the past so it won't be what is was sold with.

Thanks for any help :).

2. dinitial

dinitial Regular Member

I have a Carbonex 15. I would rate it a medium flex, even-balanced or a little head light. Defence shouldn't be a problem. It would lack a little smashpower.

An experienced player can tell you if the tension is still ok.

If you lack power, a new racket may help. Yonex Arcsaber 7, Voltric 7/70 would be a good choice. Try before you buy if you can.

But you should try to improve you technic at all times.

3. Ultrasonic

Ultrasonic New Member

Medical Physicist
    Thanks very much for taking the time to respond.

My smash certainly isn't what it should be at the moment but that's mostly because my timing is bad as I haven't played for so long. I'm not a naturally stong guy so have to rely more on technique. I'd definitely aim to try some rackets out before buying. I bought my current racket after trying it and two others, although from memory the others were rather cheaper.

Definitely! It's obviously no substitute for a proper coach, but I have been looking at a few traing clips on youtube from the following guy, who seems to know what he's doing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwfU83bqqOM

Thanks for you help :).

4. waveteczeus

waveteczeus Regular Member

Carbonex 15 has low smash power? My father says it has powerful smash and is good for mostly attacking and to use the carbonex 10 for longer games.for technique you might want the newer rackets like from the nanospeed or nanoray because they are mostly headlight.nanoray 10 is very very headlight.