User Tag List

Page 30 of 59 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    Just a note of caution for players attracted by superlight or very head-light rackets:

Most players will find it harder to get power if the racket is extremely light, or if there is very little weight in the head. You will need to swing these rackets extremely fast to make up for the loss of mass.

When your arm swings very fast, you are more likely to injure it. I believe this contributed to my (major) shoulder injury: I was using a Yonex AT-800-DE for some years.

In general I don't recommend players choose "extreme" rackets. Go for something moderate, with some weight in the head. Don't choose a club, and don't choose a feather. Remember the racket that feels best in the shop will usually be the lightest / most head-light. It will not necessarily be the racket that works best on court.

Of course, extreme rackets do suit some players. Just make sure you know what you're doing, as the consequences could be quite bad. In my case, I think the problem started when I went up a level of play, and suddenly I had to put more effort into smashes.

Then I had surgery, recovered after a year, and went up another level of play -- whereupon I set about buggering up my shoulder in the same way. I am now cautiously trying to get back to where I was before, without wrecking my shoulder. And I'm using a more sensible racket.

I learned this lesson the hard, painful way. There are better ways to learn that do not involve staples and bone saws.
    Is there any scientific evidence which proves that light rackets contribute to injuries?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post
    Is there any scientific evidence which proves that light rackets contribute to injuries?
    Not to my knowledge. There's probably no scientific evidence that excessively high string tensions contribute to injuries either, but I think you'll find most badminton coaches agreeing on that one at least.

I know I can feel the difference, and that's good enough for me. Science is awesome, but I don't require a double-blind trial for every decision in life.

However, I'm not saying you shouldn't use this ultralight racket. It may be perfect for you, especially if you feel able to generate plenty of power without trying too hard. It was a caution not a commandment; I am not yet so arrogant as to think I know what's best for everyone all the time.

...and I can't resist being pedantic, and mentioning that science never proves anything. If you can prove it, it's not science. Proof === proof within a formal system.
    Last edited by Gollum; 05-09-2013 at 08:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True that...but never discount the marvels of technology...once upon a time cellphones were ginormous...so were PCs...

Quote Originally Posted by Maklike Tier View Post
    Anyone who thinks a racket that is 20g lighter than a standard racket, costs the same, and expects it to be just as strong, is living in some bizarre dreamland where physics and economics magically don't exist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amen to that.

Not to my knowledge. There's probably no scientific evidence that excessively high string tensions contribute to injuries either, but I think you'll find most badminton coaches agreeing on that one at least.

I know I can feel the difference, and that's good enough for me. Science is awesome, but I don't require a double-blind trial for every decision in life.

However, I'm not saying you shouldn't use this ultralight racket. It may be perfect for you, especially if you feel able to generate plenty of power without trying too hard. It was a caution not a commandment; I am not yet so arrogant as to think I know what's best for everyone all the time.

...and I can't resist being pedantic, and mentioning that science never proves anything. If you can prove it, it's not science. Proof === proof within a formal system.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth vader View Post
    Amen to that.
    Now that someone has brought up science, don't you start bringing up religion in this thread...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're certainly entitled to your opinion just like how some people are entitled to think the 9/11 attacks was a US government conspiracy and the moon landings were staged.

There's a difference between what I said and what you said. I'm not suggesting that this racket will suit every single person out there. If you said, you believe that it can lead to injuries, then that's one thing. You're more or less telling people not to go for this racket because you think it can contribute to injuries when you have not provided any evidence to substantiate that claim.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know what happens when I try to swing at a shuttle too quickly, especially backhand.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maklike Tier View Post
    I know what happens when I try to swing at a shuttle too quickly, especially backhand.....
    what ? huhuhu

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're certainly entitled to your opinion just like how some people are entitled to think the 9/11 attacks was a US government conspiracy and the moon landings were staged.
    Someone voices an opinion you don't like, and you categorise him with the conspiracy theorists. Classy.

There's a difference between what I said and what you said. I'm not suggesting that this racket will suit every single person out there.
    I don't understand how that is relevant, unless you're imagining an argument that we're not actually having.

If you said, you believe that it can lead to injuries, then that's one thing.
    That's exactly what I said.

You're more or less telling people not to go for this racket because you think it can contribute to injuries when you have not provided any evidence to substantiate that claim.
    Actually, I'm suggesting that players avoid this type of racket in general. That opinion is based on coaching experience and personal playing experience. It's also based on some fairly obvious biomechanical considerations -- i.e. shoulder stability is easier to maintain if you're not trying to make the joint move excessively fast.

If that's not good enough evidence for you, then you are welcome to ignore my suggestion. I won't be offended. Other players may choose to heed it.

I'm trying to help people, not boss them around. I wish the younger version of myself could have read that post when he decided to buy those AT-800-DEs. I wish I could persuade him to pick the MP99 instead.

At the time, there was no one to warn me about the risk. Would I have listened? I don't know. But at least I would have had a reason to think twice.

I would still have ended up with a shoulder injury -- my genes pretty much guaranteed it -- but it could have been less severe.
    Last edited by Gollum; 05-10-2013 at 03:48 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As mentioned earlier, I have ordered the 5U ArcSaber FB. Long story short, but my local retailer reneged on an agreed deal and I just decided that I would rather pay a bit more and try out the 5U version of the racket. I'm been waiting forever for Matt to post his impressions, but it's possible that he have a busy life so I took matters into my own hand. I have no idea how the 5U version of this racket will perform, but if I can get a bit more power, but still have the excellent racket maneuverability, then I'll be very happy. I hope to get the 5U version of the FB before the end of next week.
    Patience is a virtue lol!! I've waited for over 1/2 a year before getting back into the sport because of an injury I suffered and just started playing about two weeks ago.

Anyways, I finally had a chance to use it Wednesday night. Since I'm not able to play at 100% yet (still got quite a ways to go). I like the racket a lot. The overhead shots almost seem effortless as the shuttle just goes. Defense is quite efficient as well as I am able to easily use my wrist to pop the bird high for blocking a smash or just lifting it.

I did notice I can hit quicker and can do quick touch or net shots as well. In term of power, it's hard to say since I am 100% at form since I'm still recovering before I could regain full strength (had difficulties trying to put full power my own Arc 7 I like as well). Smashing felt quite good as well and as well as quick drives.

I think you will like it when you go get it. I most likely let my friend who stringed it up give it a test drive since he'll be able to give a better impression. Other than that, the lady I let it to, liked my racket even thou she said it was a bit too high for her but she got used to it.
    Last edited by Matt; 05-10-2013 at 03:46 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Patience is a virtue lol!! I've waited for over 1/2 a year before getting back into the sport because of an injury I suffered and just started playing about two weeks ago.

Anyways, I finally had a chance to use it Wednesday night. Since I'm not able to play at 100% yet (still got quite a ways to go). I like the racket a lot. The overhead shots almost seem effortless as the shuttle just goes. Defense is quite efficient as well as I am able to easily use my wrist to pop the bird high for blocking a smash or just lifting it.

I did notice I can hit quicker and can do quick touch or net shots as well. In term of power, it's hard to say since I am 100% at form since I'm still recovering before I could regain full strength (had difficulties trying to put full power my own Arc 7 I like as well). Smashing felt quite good as well and as well as quick drives.

I think you will like it when you go get it. I most likely let my friend who stringed it up give it a test drive since he'll be able to give a better impression. Other than that, the lady I let it to, liked my racket even thou she said it was a bit too high for her but she got used to it.
    How do you compare this to the F version of the racket? Or maybe I got confused and you have never used the F version of this racket? Man, I hate waiting. I'm about a week away from finding out the answer for myself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you compare this to the F version of the racket? Or maybe I got confused and you have never used the F version of this racket? Man, I hate waiting. I'm about a week away from finding out the answer for myself.
    I never did personally used the F (6U) in gameplay, besides swinging it around stringed up in the store and it felt very light. In comparison just swinging the 5U stringed up, it definably felt different and felt more of the weight and a notice some of the swing momentum; I believe that is what one of my friends was referring to as this racket definitely feels better as it has a better follow through than swinging a twig (6U).
    Last edited by Matt; 05-10-2013 at 04:04 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never did personally use the F (6U) in gameplay, besides swinging it around stringed up in the store and it felt very light. In comparison just swinging the 5U stringed up, it definably felt different and felt more of the weight and a notice some of the swing momentum; I believe that is what one of my friends was referring to as this racket definitely feels better as it has a better follow through than swinging a twig (6U).
    So you're telling me to expect the 5U version to have most of the characteristics of the 6U version, but with more power?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never did personally used the F (6U) in gameplay, besides swinging it around stringed up in the store and it felt very light. In comparison just swinging the 5U stringed up, it definably felt different and felt more of the weight and a notice some of the swing momentum; I believe that is what one of my friends was referring to as this racket definitely feels better as it has a better follow through than swinging a twig (6U).
    Which string are you using?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you're telling me to expect the 5U version to have most of the characteristics of the 6U version, but with more power?
    I would say some to most of the characteristics + the added feel and momentum on top. Power wise would be a bit more. You'll probably be the better judge when you try it not being crippled like me ha ha!

I mainly bought the 5U for kicks since I wanted to try something new. Since it is light, it would be of some help (not using my Arc7) since I knew when my condition was getting better, I would be given the green light to begin to get back in the sport. Still quite a ways to go but as long as I just play and gradually turn it up as things progress as it, will help those healed muscles get activated and responsive again.

I probably would need to get the 5U gripped up to a G4 size haha! G5 a bit small for my liking.
    Last edited by Matt; 05-10-2013 at 04:21 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which string are you using?
    I am using BG-80. I would also use BG-80 Power as well.
    Last edited by Matt; 05-10-2013 at 04:24 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by varsis View Post
    Yep, it was my understanding F is a 'new category' created by Yonex, but it's basically 6U. It's a SP coded racquet if that matters.
    Yonex Japan announced sometime in January they were making a 5U version for the Japan market as well. Apparently due to demand from my understanding from what one of other BC members said (I don't recall the name).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 30 of 59 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast