User Tag List

Page 31 of 59 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I would say some to most of the characteristics + the added feel and momentum on top. Power wise would be a bit more. You'll probably be the better judge when you try it not being crippled like me ha ha!

I mainly bought the 5U for kicks since I wanted to try something new. Since it is light, it would be of some help (not using my Arc7) since I knew when my condition was getting better, I would be given the green light to begin to get back in the sport. Still quite a ways to go but as long as I just play and gradually turn it up as things progress as it, will help those healed muscles get activated and responsive again.

I probably would need to get the 5U gripped up to a G4 size haha! G5 a bit small for my liking.
    I feel like I'm going to be a celebrity here on BC. lol! I have spent about a week using the 6U FB so I do have a pretty good idea of how the racket is like. I guess I will probably be in the best position to make a judgment on whether the 5U is the better racket or not. I just got the tracking number for that package as well. Looks like I'll be busy over the coming weeks.

P.S: My Adidas Duoforce is now being inspected by customs. At least that's what my HK tracking number is telling me right now! Looks like the wait for my 5U ArcFB will be a lot easier now that I have a new toy to play with.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yonex Japan announced sometime in January they were making a 5U version for the Japan market as well. Apparently due to demand from my understanding from what one of other BC members said (I don't recall the name).
    So you were the guy that took that picture? It's a long thread so I can't possibly remember every single person who uploaded a picture. So let me get this straight, you bought 2 6U ArcFBs and now 2 5U ArcFBs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default So true!

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    Just a note of caution for players attracted by superlight or very head-light rackets:

Most players will find it harder to get power if the racket is extremely light, or if there is very little weight in the head. You will need to swing these rackets extremely fast to make up for the loss of mass.

When your arm swings very fast, you are more likely to injure it. I believe this contributed to my (major) shoulder injury: I was using a Yonex AT-800-DE for some years.

In general I don't recommend players choose "extreme" rackets. Go for something moderate, with some weight in the head. Don't choose a club, and don't choose a feather. Remember the racket that feels best in the shop will usually be the lightest / most head-light. It will not necessarily be the racket that works best on court.

Of course, extreme rackets do suit some players. Just make sure you know what you're doing, as the consequences could be quite bad. In my case, I think the problem started when I went up a level of play, and suddenly I had to put more effort into smashes.

Then I had surgery, recovered after a year, and went up another level of play -- whereupon I set about buggering up my shoulder in the same way. I am now cautiously trying to get back to where I was before, without wrecking my shoulder. And I'm using a more sensible racket.

I learned this lesson the hard, painful way. There are better ways to learn that do not involve staples and bone saws.
    Totally agree! So much injuries relate to the equipment in sport. Try out the racket and match your style. For many years, I chased after the latest and greatest Yonex rackets. Not only I hurt my shoulder, arm and lower back by adjusting myself to the racket, but also burning holes on my wallet.

This FB sounds like a nice one to try out, but I have learned not rush in. Well, just my opinion.

Thanks for great reviews here!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post
    So you were the guy that took that picture? It's a long thread so I can't possibly remember every single person who uploaded a picture. So let me get this straight, you bought 2 6U ArcFBs and now 2 5U ArcFBs?
    The forum messed up and was down before I went to bed. I wanted to show the 2 5Us of which I own. I do not own 6Us.

Those two are a picture of the G4 of the 6U CD coded (supposed there was no G4 but it exists for the 6U anyways) at the store.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by varsis View Post
    Yep, it was my understanding F is a 'new category' created by Yonex, but it's basically 6U. It's a SP coded racquet if that matters.
    Yonex Japan announced sometime in January they were making a 5U version for the Japan market as well. Apparently due to demand from my understanding from what one of other BC members said (I don't recall the name).
    Sorry, the forum messed up and was unable to put up the correct pictures before going to sleep.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e_rat View Post
    Totally agree! So much injuries relate to the equipment in sport. Try out the racket and match your style. For many years, I chased after the latest and greatest Yonex rackets. Not only I hurt my shoulder, arm and lower back by adjusting myself to the racket, but also burning holes on my wallet.

This FB sounds like a nice one to try out, but I have learned not rush in. Well, just my opinion.

Thanks for great reviews here!
    I don't think you're rushing into anything. There have been lots of people including me who have posted our impressions of the racket after using it for more than a few hours. You should give it a shot and see if it suits your style of play.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be curious to know what the weight, BP and SW is, strung and overgripped.

So is the 5U version only available in Japan? (Shuttle House?)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Black Knight as a brand isn't a significant player on the world market. Yet, it has consistently provided racquets to many Canadian national players and those of maybe a few other countries; in fact, a lot of very good (advanced/pro/A and B level) players use BK and quite a few of them still use the SL (superlight 75grams) range, especially the Photon. These players didn't and still don't feel a gaping hole in their game or results when they play against others (who are) using 3u or 4u racquets.

So I guess it's also a little about taking some time and effort to understand how to change your playing style or stroke method or timing or how much emphasis you give on shoulder or forearm power and so on... and about finding the correct string/tension combo to complement the racquet, just like any other racquet... and performing new tricks you couldn't do with a sledgehammer...

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Breaking FBs.... obviously I'd say the 6U is more susceptible to break. OTOH, I'd be inclined to believe the 5U should be pretty tough in this respect. Why? Well, I've not had any problems with the BK Photon at 75g dry weight, and it survived a few scary situations and came out happy and smiling. With the advance in technology since, I'd like to think the FB can fare as well if not better.

I think its also important to remember, when switching from a say 3U lifestyle to a 5U or 6U lifestyle, to give yourself enough time to get acclimatized to the racquet: speed, tension, swing, stiffness, feedback and so on. If you just hit around for a half-hour and then rush into games and matches, you're likely as not going to mishit and cause grief for yourself... Maybe a couple of full sessions just getting to know the beast (or mini-beast ) can reduce the chances of mishaps.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maklike Tier View Post

5U is available only in Japan. Shuttle house is one of the Japanese shops. Any Yonex Japan authorized dealer will be able to get it.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Maklike Tier

From my measurement at the store, unstrung, no plastic wrap:
    73.1g, 301mm, 32.6g head wt

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...50#post2051350

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Breaking FBs.... obviously I'd say the 6U is more susceptible to break. OTOH, I'd be inclined to believe the 5U should be pretty tough in this respect. Why? Well, I've not had any problems with the BK Photon at 75g dry weight, and it survived a few scary situations and came out happy and smiling. With the advance in technology since, I'd like to think the FB can fare as well if not better.

I think its also important to remember, when switching from a say 3U lifestyle to a 5U or 6U lifestyle, to give yourself enough time to get acclimatized to the racquet: speed, tension, swing, stiffness, feedback and so on. If you just hit around for a half-hour and then rush into games and matches, you're likely as not going to mishit and cause grief for yourself... Maybe a couple of full sessions just getting to know the beast (or mini-beast ) can reduce the chances of mishaps.
    It didn't took that long for me to adjust to the ArcSaber F and I'm coming from an AT800 DE. Maybe a couple of hours of intense play and that was it.

I never heard of the BK Photo until now. Do you have any comments about the performance of that racket?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'll have some fun getting used to the 5U once I use it more. To me it's like a reminiscent of the Yonex Isometric Swing power 900 SA which I used to use but now kept as a collector racket. It is the lightest of of the 900 series and it's 81 g.

I received the Yonex 1999 and 2000 catalogs today. I only scanned a few pages which were the high-ends. If you want some others which are in the catalog, you request it.

1999:

2000:
    Last edited by Matt; 05-11-2013 at 01:51 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'll have some fun getting used to the 5U once I use it more. To me it's like a reminiscent of the Yonex Isometric Swing power 900 SA which I used to use but now kept as a collector racket. It is the lightest of of the 900 series and it's 81 g.
    Damn! That was a long time ago and it remind me of how painful it was to choose a racket at the time. I was thinking of getting the SR and SA. I didn't have a chance to try them out. I went with the advice in the forum and I went for the SS, which turned out to be a huge mistake.

Btw, the images are really blurry. If you don't mind, please consider scanning them again and upload them to Skydrive or Dropbox for us to see!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    @Maklike Tier

From my measurement at the store, unstrung, no plastic wrap:
    73.1g, 301mm, 32.6g head wt

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...50#post2051350
    Crikey, and to think my preferred swing weight is about 41g! I know one layer of athletic tape to the head is (conveniently) 1g of head weight, so I'd have to add 8 layers to get there

Still, I can't say I'm not curious about the FB. Going from 3U to 4U was the best move I ever made, so maybe......hrm......

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crikey, and to think my preferred swing weight is about 41g! I know one layer of athletic tape to the head is (conveniently) 1g of head weight, so I'd have to add 8 layers to get there

Still, I can't say I'm not curious about the FB. Going from 3U to 4U was the best move I ever made, so maybe......hrm......
    It was also the best thing to have ever happened to me too. My AT800 DE was my first 4U racket and it gave me a noticeable improvement over my previous Isometric Swing Power SS. Now that I have ordered an Adidas Duoforce, I wonder how a 3U racket will perform in my hands? I'm a lot stronger and faster now than the time I had the SS.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I play with anything over say 93g (wet weight), it just feels slow and cumbersome to me these days.

Many of the 3U Yonex' I had when I started playing again 5 years ago were the best part of 100g all up, so in retrospect it's not surprising that I didn't like them.

Page 31 of 59 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast