User Tag List

Page 44 of 59 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    I've read a lot of posts on various threads from many players who claim there is a difference between JP and other coded racquets at the high end. Not pure speculation. But don't expect me to go hunting for them just to buttress my claim - I'm not that desperate. You can either take my word for it, or not -that's up to you.
    If you just got suckered into paying 30% more, which is not even the case these days at this exchange rate compared to normal markets i.e. the West, you will try your utmost best to convince yourself (I believe some of the reports of being "better" only pertain to the quality of the paintjob finish compared to usually SP region rackets).
    Even the RRP of such "lowly" codes as TW is pretty much the same as a JP one)​ Also the coveted SG mark I believe is attained by keeping the recommended string tension so low at which point it can still pass the quality/safety tests ... (it has no value outside of Japan so obviously you won't find it on non-JP codes). Iirc if you qualify for the SG mark the warranty will be paid from some general fund.

JP is just piggy backing on the general perceived quality of Japanese goods, which in some cases are indeed superior but at the same time clearly different from a supposed equivalent abroad. Or are you getting screwed over when you buy a Yonex in Switzerland at the same price as in Japan? (not to mention such overcharging markets such as the US, Canada and the UK)
    Last edited by demolidor; 06-08-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been using FB from last 2 weeks. It's "F" G4 version (only F is available in US). I tried to inquire about "5U" version but it's not available.

"Only for me" I keep it tension at 20 lbs (let's not get involve into it why such a so called Beginner tension .. even my VT80 4U is 20 lbs). It's hybrid strings on racket as NBG95 main and BG68 on cross.

Certainly .. don't know about others game-style but it does feel like great racket for me at least. Despite being aggressive ... I don't use POWER (smash) as my main shot. quite frankly without using too many smashes .. just on control .. placement .. game tempo ... you can put oneself in good position .. to make that final smash to win point .. if you have already not won the point.

the Racket is quick ... It's Even balanced ... delight in Defense ( i like turning defense into offense in quick return .. where it excels ) and average / above average in offense smashes.

not going to say all the folks will like this racket .. specially 2U/3U people who are big beliver in smash or young guns (14 to 25 old ... just smash smash smash as only game style) may say it "Lacks Power' .. and they are right .. It's a not a ultimate Power racket ... while good power could be generated out of it without any problem.

in my opinion .. some of key characteristics of players (few or combination of many) who would find this racket very "comfortable and natural" ---- > Who are more wristy players .. have all-around game .. (healthy combination of all shots and Placement + Control + Power + good Badminton Play IQ) ... Probably very high skills and technique but may lack (physical fiteness .. relatively speaking) OR used to be great players but now with AGE (say 40+ old) need a little bit lighter racket while still playing at Advanced / High level even at clubs.

SZ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FB is one of the lovely racket I would like to buy, however the supported tension is too low

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Superzoom View Post

"Only for me" I keep it tension at 20 lbs (let's not get involve into it why such a so called Beginner tension .. even my VT80 4U is 20 lbs).
    Me too. I never exceed beyond 21 on any racquet. Whether it's Fb or N90 or AT900P or NS9900 or the Karakals. I thought I was the only one on this forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adrian880 View Post
    FB is one of the lovely racket I would like to buy, however the supported tension is too low
    How high are you trying to go? Mine's strung at 26# and I've clashed with it a few times. No damage at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slvrdrgn123 View Post
    How high are you trying to go? Mine's strung at 26# and I've clashed with it a few times. No damage at all.
    As usual I will use 26x28, but for this racket if not mistaken maximum supported at 24lbs, which I don't plan to take the risk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adrian880 View Post
    As usual I will use 26x28, but for this racket if not mistaken maximum supported at 24lbs, which I don't plan to take the risk
    How it a risk? That's exactly the tension I'm using on my FB 5U and it's fine. It's no different than the other Arc Sabers which have the recommended tension like that; Even my Arc Saber 7 24lbs and I have it stringed at 26x28.

Remember, this is mainly for warranty purposes. It does not imply that is the maximum that can hold. The racket can hold high tension stringed properly by an experienced stringer. It's the one's who are inexperienced, it can cause the racket to break at the higher tensions.
    Last edited by Matt; 06-09-2013 at 12:17 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by n0m5ky View Post
    We surely want and try to improve our game as well as to try new things; therefore we need a tool (i.e. rackets) to help us to get there.
    This statement makes me a sad coach.

There's nothing wrong with trying new rackets, and it's good to find a racket that suits you. But if you want to get better, you need more training, not more rackets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post

There's nothing wrong with trying new rackets, and it's good to find a racket that suits you. But if you want to get better, you need more training, not more rackets.
    Nicely said! I hope to get to a point where the racket is just a cosmetic choice instead of a game-changer.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes yes we all know training and playing more is the best way to improve. However, it's also important to get to a certain point in your game where you realise who you are and how you play, and buy that racket. Buying and trying new rackets is a good thing, but if you aren't aware of what you're trying to achieve by doing that, then your game will go backwards before you know it.

If you follow trends and don't listen to yourself, your game will go backwards.

If you stick with a racket because "it will make you a better player", your game will go backwards.

etc.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I don't think sticking to a racket that's less than 6 years old will make you a worse player If anything, it'll slightly (very slightly) drag you down in competition, but do nothing to hinder your growth as a player. The presumption is that it's not a wrong racket for you, i.e. nothing too head heavy/~ light or too stiff/soft. Most players are flexible in that regard though, as long as you stay away from the extremes you should be fine (no N90s or VTZFs for beginners or intermediates! ).

Anyhow, developing your game depends 95-99% on your training and related efforts (proper diet and rest, studying up on the game, watching and analyzing videos,...) and 1-5% on your equipment. Proper shoes are a must, and the racket should not be too cheap and/or old, but as you use the same technique and footwork regardless of the racket it's not too important.
    Once you reach something close to national level (in your age group, if underage) and start specializing (i.e. playing an attacking/defensive style, favoring a certain discipline) you (and your coach) can worry about choosing a certain racket to enhance your strengths which won't drag you down.

The ArcFB (to somewhat stay on topic) would be a racket for players who have no offensive capabilities anyway and rely on defense, endurance, and out-playing their opponents with placement and deception. Being very secure in your shot-making is a must for that style of play.
    If you're an aggressive player smashing a lot to put your opposition under pressure, this is absolutely not the racket for you

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you have to be at a national level to benefit from having a rational analysis of what racket suits you best. I know I stuck with the MX80 for far too long, to the detriment of my game and probably my shoulder. And I'm a B-Grade club player

In fact, I think it's probably the opposite - I think more amateur players can benefit more from careful racket selection.

Anyway, yeah, back on topic.

I agree Jackie, I think the FB is more scalpel than sledgehammer (obviously). However, what I'd like to explore is finding a specification that keeps my power game where it is, but 'improves' my defensive and midcourt game, so I'm pretty keen to try a FB or Adizero Pro at some stage.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post

"There's nothing wrong with trying new rackets, and it's good to find a racket that suits you. But if you want to get better, you need more training, not more rackets." -Gollum

"A sharp edge does not automatically make a sword a good weapon. Only the wielder can do that." -Swordsmaster credo

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Arcsaber CS (Clichéd Sayings) proudly brought to you by Cobalt.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maklike Tier View Post
    I don't think you have to be at a national level to benefit from having a rational analysis of what racket suits you best. I know I stuck with the MX80 for far too long, to the detriment of my game and probably my shoulder. And I'm a B-Grade club player

In fact, I think it's probably the opposite - I think more amateur players can benefit more from careful racket selection.

Anyway, yeah, back on topic.

I agree Jackie, I think the FB is more scalpel than sledgehammer (obviously). However, what I'd like to explore is finding a specification that keeps my power game where it is, but 'improves' my defensive and midcourt game, so I'm pretty keen to try a FB or Adizero Pro at some stage.
    Yeah, perhaps I wasn't clear enough on that - what I meant to say with that was that from that level on your success can actually depend on you using the correct racket as the margins get closer there.
    I agree that anyone will benefit from using the right racket for them, but not as much as ntl. level players (who have little room for improvement in terms of training in comparison).
    Many intermediate/lower advanced level players make the mistake of using too extreme a racket (i.e. too stiff/too head heavy, like Ns9900, VT-ZF, N90...) and as a result weaken their game and in the worst case risk injury, especially with the HH kind.
    In a way, the FB is similar - it is an extreme racket, and as such not suited for beginner/intermediate players who are still developing and working on their game. Even advanced players should be careful about choosing it as their go-to, if they do they should play with normal (or training) rackets regularly to maintain their previous strength levels.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ I'm just playing the devil's advocate here, but what if to some people a medium wt, balanced racket were feeling like a training racket to them... then the FB will feel like the perfect racket for them.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeahhhh....if a medium wt balanced racket feels like a training racket to you then you're in desperate need of upper body strength Because if you're that weak you won't get any power with the FB either. You might manage the same swing speed as a normal person with a normal racket, but given the low weight and thus low momentum of the FB you'll still end up with the same result.

Maklike: What's your current racket? Still using those prototypes? What works for me is sticking to my (kinda light) Braveswords 09&12. I'm happy enough with my defense, and to improve my power, work on strength and technique. Most people's weakness in defense is caused by either big technical deficiencies or a lack of forearm strength. I have no idea what you play like, so you might want to get someone who knows what they're talking about to have a look at your defensive play, and provided it's not in need of a complete overhaul, work on it just a little while improving forearm strength.

Defensive drills are numerous, a very common one that also works your forearm is to defend against drives played by a partner standing at the net (like the warm-up most pros do before a match). Important here is that your partner plays the shots in a manner that you're just able to get them back 70% of the time. If you want to work on your forearm a little more intensely, use a heavier racket.
    Strength exercises for the forearm include working with a powerball or forearm handles. For me, pull-ups work brilliantly (even if I'm currently quite out of shape in that regard).

Page 44 of 59 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast