User Tag List

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Results 35 to 51 of 357
  1. #35
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,185
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Saina Nehwal has England on her mind

    http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report...r-mind_1804510

    EXCERPTS:

    World No 2 Saina Nehwal has been playing with a troubled knee for the most part of last year, including the London Olympic Games.

    Though her last triumph came in the Denmark Open in last October, the Olympic women’s singles bronze medallist has had a decent run in the Super Series and the Super Series Premier tournaments. This year, she lost in the quarterfinal of the Korea Open and in the semifinal of the Malaysia Open.


    Next week, she will enter her third competition of the year, the prestigious All England Championships in Birmingham, where she is seeded second in women’s singles. The 22-year-old will meet Thailand’s Sapsiree Taerattanachai in the first round of the tournament that will be played between March 5 and 10.

    Since her loss to Chinese Taipei’s Tsu Ying Tai in the Malaysia Open semifinals, Saina has had a month- and-a-half to treat her knee and at the same time train for the All England. “The knee is okay now and I am feeling a remarkable improvement. I am looking forward to seeing how it responds in the tournaments ahead,” Saina told DNA.


    “The break from competition between Malaysia Open and next week’s All England is a pretty long time and has given me the recovery time required for such a major tournament. Everybody aspires to be an All England champion and I wish to do better in this tournament.”


    In the 2012 All England tourney, Saina was seeded fourth. She exited in the quarterfinal, losing to eventual champion, seventh-seeded Li Xuerui of China. Current World No 1 Xuerui, who is also the Olympic gold medallist, is the top seed in this edition.

    Entering the tournament seeded second is a new experience for the Hyderabadi shuttler. And Saina is excited about this new status. “It gives me a lot of pleasure that I am playing as No 2 in this prestigious tournament. My practice has been good and I am looking forward to putting up a better show than last year.”


    Preparation for the Championships has been in full swing under the watchful eyes of chief national coach P Gopichand. “The training has been good. Gopi sir has been giving very useful tips and I am also getting good practice with other fellow badminton players.”


    Saina should have an easy first two rounds until she bumps into a seeded player in the quarterfinals. Germany’s Juliane Schenk, China’s Wang Shixian and Thailand’s Ratchanok Intanon are the other seeded players in Saina’s half at the All England.

    Saina has an all-win record against Taerattanachai, world No 20, in their four previous meetings. Her most recent win against the Thai came in the first round of the Korean Open last month.

    Happy with the way she started the year, Saina said, “It has been a good beginning for me in 2013, though I was a bit unlucky to lose in the semifinal of the Malaysia Open. I ought to have won it.”

    I wanna see her new avatar in ALL ENGLAND. I really hope that she would have concentrated on her fitness levels more.

    All the very best for her ALL ENGLAND Tournament.

  2. #36
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,720
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    The 2013 edition of the prestigious All England begins tomorrow for Saina. Is she ready? Has her heel.... healed? Is she lighter than before? Has she moved on from that toy NR700-RP?

    All these are questions to which partial answers will be available tomorrow. But from the draw, here is what we know. Saina has met Sapsiree 4 times before, and won all 4 encounters, but the last one at the KO this year went the distance, and oh so close!

    If she plays to her ranking however, she has a fairly straight run to the finals. For Saina, the main issues will be to (a) maintain fitness, (b) remain calm, (c) cut out the cross-court crap, (d) be aware of the drift, (e) maintain fitness, (f) look out for Juliane, (g) look out for Ratchanok, (h) look out for Sindhu, (i) maintain fitness, (j) don't smash when desperate (k) watch out for Minatsu Mitani, (l) watch out for Wang Shixian, (m) check the drift everyday, (n) practise netplay during free time, (o) maintain fitness, (p) watch out for Jiang Yanjiao, (q) watch out for Tai Tzu Ying, (r) put those chocolates away (s) play straight lines, (t) watch out for Wang Yihan, (u) maintain fitness, (v) practise her netplay, (w) practise the body smash, (x) watch out for Li Xuerui.

    If she gets past (x) she can have her chocolate, and eat it too!

  3. #37
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    hehehe..:P
    Posts
    924
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    The 2013 edition of the prestigious All England begins tomorrow for Saina. Is she ready? Has her heel.... healed? Is she lighter than before? Has she moved on from that toy NR700-RP?

    All these are questions to which partial answers will be available tomorrow. But from the draw, here is what we know. Saina has met Sapsiree 4 times before, and won all 4 encounters, but the last one at the KO this year went the distance, and oh so close!

    If she plays to her ranking however, she has a fairly straight run to the finals. For Saina, the main issues will be to (a) maintain fitness, (b) remain calm, (c) cut out the cross-court crap, (d) be aware of the drift, (e) maintain fitness, (f) look out for Juliane, (g) look out for Ratchanok, (h) look out for Sindhu, (i) maintain fitness, (j) don't smash when desperate (k) watch out for Minatsu Mitani, (l) watch out for Wang Shixian, (m) check the drift everyday, (n) practise netplay during free time, (o) maintain fitness, (p) watch out for Jiang Yanjiao, (q) watch out for Tai Tzu Ying, (r) put those chocolates away (s) play straight lines, (t) watch out for Wang Yihan, (u) maintain fitness, (v) practise her netplay, (w) practise the body smash, (x) watch out for Li Xuerui.

    If she gets past (x) she can have her chocolate, and eat it too!
    Rofl...Wow! saina must look into it...

  4. #38
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,185
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    The 2013 edition of the prestigious All England begins tomorrow for Saina. Is she ready? Has her heel.... healed? Is she lighter than before? Has she moved on from that toy NR700-RP?

    All these are questions to which partial answers will be available tomorrow. But from the draw, here is what we know. Saina has met Sapsiree 4 times before, and won all 4 encounters, but the last one at the KO this year went the distance, and oh so close!

    If she plays to her ranking however, she has a fairly straight run to the finals. For Saina, the main issues will be to (a) maintain fitness, (b) remain calm, (c) cut out the cross-court crap, (d) be aware of the drift, (e) maintain fitness, (f) look out for Juliane, (g) look out for Ratchanok, (h) look out for Sindhu, (i) maintain fitness, (j) don't smash when desperate (k) watch out for Minatsu Mitani, (l) watch out for Wang Shixian, (m) check the drift everyday, (n) practise netplay during free time, (o) maintain fitness, (p) watch out for Jiang Yanjiao, (q) watch out for Tai Tzu Ying, (r) put those chocolates away (s) play straight lines, (t) watch out for Wang Yihan, (u) maintain fitness, (v) practise her netplay, (w) practise the body smash, (x) watch out for Li Xuerui.

    If she gets past (x) she can have her chocolate, and eat it too!
    My goodness... You are having all the qualities to become Sensor board chief.. What to do??? . Anyhow, only 9 options are there.. Li Xuerui is out of AE already ... I am eagerly waiting to see her new avatar.. Lets see, how much she have concentrated on BODY MASS INDEX..

  5. #39
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,720
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Post-match interview after Saina's narrow escape in round 1...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anokfFF74ME

  6. #40
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,185
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Excellent display by Saina in the quarterfinals . Her court movement and retrieving ability really amazed me. Infact, her super special spirit to carry herself in any tournament is stupendous to watch. I was delighted with the way she played yesterday. Really marvellous play .

  7. #41
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KL, Malaysia
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My dear Saina, you have to learn to play safe during critical points. What is the idea doing the high risk tight spinning net shots when you were down 17-19 and 19-20 and blowing your AE chances, not once but two times when Ratchanok was totally out of gas, probably due to the flu. If you had been patient you could have won the second game.

    Anyway, hope you learn from this.

  8. #42
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    hehehe..:P
    Posts
    924
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Is Knee injury the reason of Saina's loss? This is an interesting question actually as the words came from Ratchanok and not from Saina here...

    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/18885618.cms

    Ratchanok said: "Saina was slow on her lifts. Her knee injury made it easier for me." Ratchanok who looked aggressive from the start, added: "Last year, I crashed out of the Championship in the second round. Today, I played a really good game. I wouldn't have been very disappointed if I had lost to Saina."

    Ratchanok however admitted that she felt tired in the middle of the second game, which led her to make some unforced errors.

    "I just wanted to hold my serve. I was getting tired and was making unforced errors. However the mistake in judgement that Saina made to gift me the match point gave me fresh motivation," Ratchanok who took away the match with the help of some exquisite backhand sliced smashes and drops at crucial junctures said.

  9. #43
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,659
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Saina's game has changed. She has added power to her smash but the variation in her game seems less effective. Has her knee injury caused some changes in her style not wanting to keep out of prolonged rallies? For this result in the all england, she seemed over anxious to win points.
    Last edited by Cheung; 03-09-2013 at 05:50 PM.

  10. #44
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,185
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by depleter View Post
    Is Knee injury the reason of Saina's loss? This is an interesting question actually as the words came from Ratchanok and not from Saina here...

    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/18885618.cms
    Keeping her knee injury one side, i don't think that would have had affected her game yesterday. The main thing is she ran out of strength during the second game. Because of Ratchanok's unique unorthodox strokes. Actually speaking, Ratchanok seemed to have taken all her strokes in book to finish the game as soon as possible in two games itself because she was out of gas in the middle of the game itself. And also, saina misjudged one shuttle to give the match point to Ratchanok which totally changed the match.

    Anyhow, i am very much sure that she was better than Malaysian Open 2013 . If anybody have Saina's post match interview video about the loss, i would really appreciate it..

  11. #45
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    397
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    As I said earlier, Saina's main threat ain't the Chinese anymore. Its the non-chinese girls.

    This was Saina's best chance to win such a prestigious event, with LXR, YW, JYJ and Han Li out early. Wish she could capitalize on it.

    By the way, even if she were in the finals, beating Tine Baun would have been tough, though she has done it in the past. Tine is a very different player in this tournament. She had practised a lot for her last (also skipping the group event).

    Well played Saina. Reaching semis is not a small achievement.

  12. #46
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,185
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paroxysmal View Post
    As I said earlier, Saina's main threat ain't the Chinese anymore. Its the non-chinese girls.

    This was Saina's best chance to win such a prestigious event, with LXR, YW, JYJ and Han Li out early. Wish she could capitalize on it.

    By the way, even if she were in the finals, beating Tine Baun would have been tough, though she has done it in the past. Tine is a very different player in this tournament. She had practised a lot for her last (also skipping the group event).

    Well played Saina. Reaching semis is not a small achievement.
    Yep.. Reaching Semifinals in this particular edition of ALL ENGLAND is not a small achievement at all. Having all the top seeds in the women's singles in the first round itself, saina reached the semifinals is a commendable feat. Yesterday's match, if you ask me, Saina acted very like very soft. She did not have smashes in her game as if we saw it when she played against Wang Shixian. You are absolutely correct. She played excellently and marvellously in quarters for 1.30 hours. That match had an effect in her game yesterday. It is clearly visible that she saved her energy a lot without going for smashes all the time in order to cope up for rubber game if she have had won the second game.. Day after tomorrow , she is participating in swiss Open. And again, i wish her to recover atleast to get full rest to come back strongly.

  13. #47
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KL, Malaysia
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Saina's game has changed. She has added power to her smash but the variation in her game seems less effective. Has her knee injury caused some changes in her style not wanting to keep out of prolonged rallies? For this result in the all england, she seemed over anxious to win points.
    I agree. Drastic changes to her game caused so many unforced errors especially the ones hit out at the baseline. Anyway Ratchanok deserved to win the match. Wish her all the best.

  14. #48
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,185
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am bit worried about her knee injury. She need to consult her physio to make her fit for the next tournament. Two time defending champion need to concentrate on her fitness level. I am fully confident in her dedication now and her stupendous retrieving capabilities. She is the best in doing that. I advice her to consult physio and her coach to go for tactics that suits her in the game. Once again i want to thank her for her valuable effort to reach semifinals of All England tournament when many top seeds failed to do so.

  15. #49
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KL, Malaysia
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
    I am bit worried about her knee injury. She need to consult her physio to make her fit for the next tournament. Two time defending champion need to concentrate on her fitness level. I am fully confident in her dedication now and her stupendous retrieving capabilities. She is the best in doing that. I advice her to consult physio and her coach to go for tactics that suits her in the game. Once again i want to thank her for her valuable effort to reach semifinals of All England tournament when many top seeds failed to do so.
    If she can play at this level, then the knee injury is not so serious but the thought of injuring severely effect the players, causing them to have second thoughts and slow to react.

    Her biggest problem is variety in her game. If she does not play her normal game then she appears very vulnerable. She need to train playing a totally different game and still win it. This will develop a well rounded player who can adapt to any game styles.

    Reminds me of LCW, when he is playing his fast attacking game, he is superb. The moment he does not do that, most of the other players can trouble him as clearly evident in AE.

  16. #50
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    762
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rogerv2 View Post
    If she can play at this level, then the knee injury is not so serious but the thought of injuring severely effect the players, causing them to have second thoughts and slow to react.

    Her biggest problem is variety in her game. If she does not play her normal game then she appears very vulnerable. She need to train playing a totally different game and still win it. This will develop a well rounded player who can adapt to any game styles.

    Reminds me of LCW, when he is playing his fast attacking game, he is superb. The moment he does not do that, most of the other players can trouble him as clearly evident in AE.
    Yes, I was amazed at the court coverage and retrieving capabilities she showed here at AE, Maybe the motivation was there!! She is almost there just about a little bit slow.
    If she could induce some more pace thats it and also prepare against a few select targeted players & their playing styles more often...

  17. #51
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,185
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Veteran Shuttler Tine Baun's words about Saina Nehwal. I just want to share this to you.

    Saina Nehwal's time will come, says Tine Baun


    http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...n-wang-shixian

    EXCERPTS:

    One of the world's greatest shuttlers - the former world No. 1 and three-time All England champion Tine Baun has said it is just a matter of time before India's Saina Nehwal adds the coveted title to her collection.

    Speaking to TOI, 33-year-old Dane Tine Baun said Nehwal has age on her side and "is playing very well." Baun, who actually lost to Saina in the London Olympics that helped the Indian world No. 3 reach the semifinal, told TOI "Saina is a fast and upcoming shuttler and has a very good chance to win the All England Championship."

    According to Baun, Saina's semifinal effort against Ratchanok looked "like a tired effort." "You could tell that Saina was tired from the quarterfinal match. I know she was facing difficulty with her injured knees," Baun added.

    Yes Baun. She has been struggling with her injured knees for long time. I really feel sorry for her .

    I want Sindhu to attain the top level soon and support Saina. She needs maturity to handle top 10 players. Her passive playing needed to be changed . We all expect Sindhu to support Saina in this category soon and make us proud.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •