User Tag List

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Results 52 to 68 of 464
  1. #52
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,903
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    With respect, I have followed a lot of report from The Times of India, and I find them at times questionable. There has been a history of embellishing the truth and sensationalising facts or events out of proportion. Let me quote the link that scorpion1 just posted above.

    Would Tine ever say something like "Saina is a fast and upcoming shuttler..."? I seriously doubt it. Tine knows that Saina has been in the top echelon for a long while. "Fast and Upcoming?" Really?

    Tine has been quoted as saying, "She won that match after a long drawn-out battle with scored ending at 23-21, 19-21, 21-16...." Again I find this hard to swallow; would Tine have actually memorised the points?

    There have been other instances in the past as well when TOI's "reporting" has been a bit suspect and over-the-top. When I look for badminton-related news from India I much prefer The Hindu, The Indian Express, The Deccan Chronicle, Firstpost and some others.

  2. #53
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,509
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sometimes it will be hard to believe some of the news published by TOI . But this time i don't think it will be a faulty one. Tine has been in out of form for long time and she regained her full form recently and won the All England title. Hence , there is a possibility of slip of tongue sometimes in over joyed situation. Saina is already a very well established player known to whole world. She is being in Top 5 for nearly 2 years. If this news is one to be questioned, i will ensure you all that i will post the same news published by some other notable dailies soon once it is out . I am really sorry if i misled anybody in this matter.
    Last edited by scorpion1; 03-12-2013 at 12:32 AM.

  3. #54
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,903
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    You have not intentionally misled, so it is not your fault, scorpion1 We come to recognise patterns in reporting agencies and publishers after a while. I had in fact stressed this point more than once in the old Saina thread as well. But it is good that you will take notice of this for future reference.

  4. #55
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,903
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here is a more credible report.

    No Chinese puzzle, yet Saina Nehwal stumbles

    Published: Sunday, Mar 10, 2013, 10:00 IST
    By G Krishnan | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA

    http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report...umbles_1809418

    Excerpts:

    ...Ratchanoks progress has been impressive. What does her win signify? It is perhaps a case of other countries checking the Chinese dominance. That there were eight different nationals in the womens singles quarterfinal line-up proves that the Chinese are gradually looking beatable.

    Maybe it was thought that Saina would have it easy since the Chinese were not in the fray in the final stages of the tournament. But that wasnt the case.

    Saina herself has admitted that other nations have caught up, and its not just about Chinese dominance anymore.

    After the semifinal, Sainas mentor P Gopichand told DNA from Birmimgham that one could not underestimate any player. At this level, and with the way things are going, you cannot take anybody for granted. These matches prove that it is anybodys game. It is how well you play on that day and how lucky you are that matter. I thought, in the end, Saina was not lucky with a couple of shots, Gopichand said.

    It was a very close match that could have gone either way, Gopichand said. Credit to Ratchanok, she was quick with the end points.

    Gopi disagreed that Saina was tired after Fridays encounter against Shixian. Fitness wise, Saina was okay. In fact, Ratchanok played her quarterfinal after Saina. I thought Saina hurried up a little bit in the end. She just had to put the shuttle at the other side and wait.

    Gopi said that they were prepared for a tough fight from the Thai teenager. Both fought well, it was neck and neck. Saina lost but she is young and will come back stronger in the next tournament.

  5. #56
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    With respect, I have followed a lot of report from The Times of India, and I find them at times questionable. There has been a history of embellishing the truth and sensationalising facts or events out of proportion. Let me quote the link that scorpion1 just posted above.

    Would Tine ever say something like "Saina is a fast and upcoming shuttler..."? I seriously doubt it. Tine knows that Saina has been in the top echelon for a long while. "Fast and Upcoming?" Really?

    Tine has been quoted as saying, "She won that match after a long drawn-out battle with scored ending at 23-21, 19-21, 21-16...." Again I find this hard to swallow; would Tine have actually memorised the points?

    There have been other instances in the past as well when TOI's "reporting" has been a bit suspect and over-the-top. When I look for badminton-related news from India I much prefer The Hindu, The Indian Express, The Deccan Chronicle, Firstpost and some others.
    Oh... India doesnt has a world news agency like BBC which has its own journalists & reporters everywhere, & hence has to share news, no matter wherever you go they have the same news content, For a news they all have the same content to copy from as base and specific editors might add a line or two or do some modifications here and there but thats it ultimately. One off instances when TOI might actually fund a reporter to go to AE arena and get an interview from TB herself, when the players have to fight to get funded to participate

  6. #57
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    673
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Two time defending champion Saina Nehwal, has her opening match against French, Sashina Vignes Waran. If she overcomes the first two hurdules, she could get a chance to avenge her defeat against Tai Tzu Ying (who beat her in MO semis). In semi Final she could face WSX or YJB. If we go by head-to-head record, Saina has better head to head record against every other player in the draw, except Jiang Yanjiao.
    All the best to her, She always does good there. Hope she completes the hat trick of titles in Switzerland.

  7. #58
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    432
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Beating Tai would be as tough as beating Inthanon. Tai is very fast. The new non-Chinese nemeses of Saina are the trio of Tai, Inthanon and Mitani. And ofcourse JYJ from China too. Its commendable how she has to study everybody's game and play accordingly.

  8. #59
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paroxysmal View Post
    Beating Tai would be as tough as beating Inthanon. Tai is very fast. The new non-Chinese nemeses of Saina are the trio of Tai, Inthanon and Mitani. And ofcourse JYJ from China too. Its commendable how she has to study everybody's game and play accordingly.

    And since we are talking about preparing, do as well for WYH and LXR too... Mitani I would rate a bit low for now... I have seen her being single dimensional, so its comparatively easier, similarily for TTY its relatively easier.... but the others you mentioned have troubled SN.
    I should have kept this to Swiss Open... Come'On SN grab the third here this time!!

  9. #60
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,509
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gopalprasad View Post
    And since we are talking about preparing, do as well for WYH and LXR too... Mitani I would rate a bit low for now... I have seen her being single dimensional, so its comparatively easier, similarily for TTY its relatively easier.... but the others you mentioned have troubled SN.
    I should have kept this to Swiss Open... Come'On SN grab the third here this time!!
    Yes.. Saina won Tai Tzu ying in straight sets. Last time, Saina when she lost to Tai Tzu Ying, lots of Saina's fans worried about her fitness and her bulky structure. She has reduced her bulkiness and proved that she is better than TTY at any time(We can't judge by simply seeing one time loss of a World Class player like Saina). Yesterday, she was at her very best. Nice to see her going for high serve all the time. She completely dominated the court. Tai got no answers yesterday.

  10. #61
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KL, Malaysia
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
    Yes.. Saina won Tai Tzu ying in straight sets. Last time, Saina when she lost to Tai Tzu Ying, lots of Saina's fans worried about her fitness and her bulky structure. She has reduced her bulkiness and proved that she is better than TTY at any time(We can't judge by simply seeing one time loss of a World Class player like Saina). Yesterday, she was at her very best. Nice to see her going for high serve all the time. She completely dominated the court. Tai got no answers yesterday.
    Dont be overconfident. Just like Saina had a bad day when she lost to TTY, it could be TTY had a off day too. One win does not prove she is better than TTY at any time. She was just as better player yesterday.

    As for WSX, I think she must be fired up for the match, she lost to Saina so many times in a row.

  11. #62
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    and saina lost to wang shixian in a very strange manner in the semifinals of swiss open GPG, hope everything is all right and it was just fatigue(note for some irritating agents of this forum: that doesn't mean that i am saying WS didn't played well). hope she recovers soon and gets back in shape before her home event the sunrise India SS as she has been performing poorly there till now.. .she really needs to pull her socks up and come back strongly.. .hope she'll fair better in this edition of her home super series.

  12. #63
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    673
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Happy B'day Saina Nehwal... i hope you will achieve even more success in the days to come...

  13. #64
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    hehehe..:P
    Posts
    925
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rajat_remar View Post
    Happy B'day Saina Nehwal... i hope you will achieve even more success in the days to come...
    Aww! Today is Saina's Birthday...
    Happy birthday Saina...

  14. #65
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,509
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Happy Birthday Saina . You are an inspiration to badminton players of india regardless of their gender.

    I have heard many male players saying your name as inspiration in India. So, Please Don't take any criticisms to your mind. You are the best. I wish you a very good luck in all your future endeavours.

  15. #66
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    TOI is a newspaper and a very rich agency group, it has enough funds to send reporters if it wishes to, but that is a matter of management policy if they wish to support a sport other than cricket. If you read some of the reports written by their regulars on badminton you would roll in laughter ans so also the other pages.
    I am able to go through the entire paper in about 7 minutes and only use the page of comics, word games seriously.
    I read the Pioneer and Net for more serious stuff and find The Hindu accurate but dowdy.

  16. #67
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The Indians (or Indian media) are so desparate for a hero, it's sad and laughable at the same time.

  17. #68
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KL, Malaysia
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tsae75 View Post
    The Indians (or Indian media) are so desparate for a hero, it's sad and laughable at the same time.
    This must be baiters day in BC.
    To equate a country for an action of a media trying to spice thing up to sell newspaper is not very mature. Grow up.

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •