Golfer Elbow Pain HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by airy emirul, Jan 15, 2013.

1. airy emirul

airy emirul Regular Member

student
    Can someone tell me how can this happen?How to reduce pain?

2. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Tennis elbow, golfer elbow ... any difference ? :confused:

I am asking coz sometimes my missus also suffer from elbow pain when playing badminton.

3. gnoils

gnoils Regular Member

I did some research about this before when my inner elbow is feeling abit tender. Basically Tennis Elbow is pain on outer elbow, Golfer Elbow is on inner elbow. They're both caused mostly by overuse, inadequate rest between playing, repetitive motions and strength imbalances.

A common cause for Golfer Elbow is caused by too much gripping too hard. This could be caused by bad habit or grip that is too small for your hand.

Sy

4. maxout

maxout Regular Member

TQ very much on the enlightenment :)

5. stickyjacky

stickyjacky Regular Member

Service Advisor
    Hi, I got a question. my right arm inner side hurts after playing badminton or during a badminton game if I played the night before. To be more accurate where it hurts -- inner side of my arm above and under my elbow where the muscles are at. I usually like to smash and i like to smah hard. I don't think I am gripping the racket handle too hard (usually quite relax when I smash). Please Help!!

6. gnoils

gnoils Regular Member

stickyjacky, you mean the tendons at the inner side of your elbow? that sounds like golfer's elbow, but if it only hurts after or during and not prolonged, you just need more rest.

if you like to smash hard, you are gripping the racket hard without realising it. it's natural reflex to keep the racket from flying out of your hands.

sy

7. bowi12

bowi12 Regular Member

student
    It's much more important that you don't grip it to hard between strokes. It's quite natural to grip it tight during a smash. Only grip it hard when you are about to hit the shuttle.

8. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Hmmmm .... I seem to have the symptoms of Golfers elbow. Will try the relax and not gripping too hard method. Thanks for the info.

9. stickyjacky

Service Advisor
    Thanks gnoils for your information. I have to say yes to the tendons at the inner side of your elbow. So my problem is call golfer's elbow. I don't think I am holding the racket to hard and not relaxing enough after smashing. I will try to relax even more the next time a play. thanks again for your information. maybe taking muscle relaxer before a game will help. lol.

10. gnoils

gnoils Regular Member

I don't think your grip is the only thing that muscle relaxer will relax. :p

But it maybe because your grip is too small? If you feel racket handle slips then that's good indication grip is too small. When I had a bit of sign of golfer's elbow its because my grip is too small.

11. airy emirul

airy emirul Regular Member

student
    Thanks Bro for the explanation...:) relax relax relax...its hard to relax when in game.my mind just thinking swing fast grip it hard when smash:D

12. stickyjacky

Service Advisor
    Is there any elbow support I can get to ease out the situation? Any recommendation? Is this any good -YONEX MTS300E Elbow supoorts real YONEX MTS-300E ??

13. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I had this and it's pretty much gone since I rotated my grip to pan handle more. I think I was trying to pronate too hard/far. Also loosened my grip, stopped trying to smash too hard.

14. stickyjacky

Service Advisor
    I think my grip is not right for sure, because sometime after i did a hard smash and thumb hurts too. Now, I don't even smash hard anymore due to my golfer's elbow. I just do drop or check-smash. I just ordered a Band it Xm magnet support for my elbow and i hope it helps when I smash or when I smash hard.

Does anyone thinks that 'Bandit Support' will helps? Thanks!!

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Physiotherapy will cure elbow tendonitis. However this is only short term solution as tendonitis or tennis/golf elbow are symptoms of overused and overworked muscles and tendons. I have had tennis elbow and golfer's for more than a year and cured them through physiotherapy. They still recur once in awhile but rarely to such intensity as to cause me pain. One IMPORTANT thing I did to manage elbow tendonitis is by stretching my forearm before and after my games. Simply straighten your arm and pull back your fingers until they're fully stretch and hold for 30s. Then bend your hand down and hold the fingers until you feel your straighten forearm is fully stretch and hold for 30s. Don't bother with contraptions such as elbow braces, they'll only relieve temporarily and any support weaken your joint. Do your stretches and warm ups regularly and your golfer's elbow will stay away for good.

#15 cappy75, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  16. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
  17. vatovey

vatovey Regular Member

IT Technician / Badminton Stringer
    I'm going to copy a post a made in another thread as it might be applicable here.

--

It maybe worth checking the tension of your rackets, if they are strung tight (ie: 26lbs or above), the shock produced from the lack of movement in the string bed when hitting shuttles goes down the arm, and over time can cause tendon pain, I get golfers elbow from when my rackets are strung at 27lbs or above, am down to 24lbs down and don't have any problems.

But each persons body/reaction will be different, so 27lbs might be my threshold, others will be different.

18. Ashdelsol7

Ashdelsol7 Regular Member

Cad
    i have played badminton since i was 11....i am now 28. About 4 years ago i suffered really badly with golfers elbow....it got to the point where i was taking painkillers before i was going on court to try and get me through games. I had physio and tried everything from the tennis elbow braces to changing my grip from small to large and then back to small to see if i could pinpoint the problem......nothing worked.....i eventually found out what my problem was.......i had changed my racket for an arcsaber 7 which was medium flex. My old racket was a stiff shaft and slightly heavier.....so i swapped to the voltric 80 which was heavier again but stiffer than the arc. Problem solved....i could play every night and no pain. I then changed to the nanospeed 8000 as the voltric was too slow to defend and attack in doubles and have played 2 years with that and no problems what so ever. I also noticed at the same time as gettign the pain that i had started gym (biceps curls) which i also think contributed to the problem