User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Regular Member Cycril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in M'sia
    Posts
    368
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default racket recommendation

    hi, hope you guys will spend some time reading this and give some idea about it.

    I found a problem of myself recently. I have 2 rackets currently, one is [2U]X, a stiff + head heavy racket. And the another one is a [3U]N50, a more balanced racket.

    I play single most of the time. But sometimes double too, while doing this training here as the smasher back there. I felt my smash more powerful with the N50 compared to X. However, i felt my singles game more comfortable with the X compared to the N50 because i felt the racket is too light for me. Which means that i'm more ''all-round'' with X compared to N50.

    My friends did recommend me to go for more balanced racket as they say i can apply greater ''force'' to the racket compared to X. But in singles game with my N50, i can't apply that force that i have applied during the training into the game. So, should i go for a balanced racket or should i stay in the stiff + head heavy racket area.

    P.S. I'm not getting a new racket unless I'm really craving for it.
    Last edited by Cycril; 01-15-2013 at 12:13 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member diverdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    506
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Do you need a new racket? Sounds like X is your singles racket and N50 is your doubles racket?

  3. #3
    Regular Member Cycril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in M'sia
    Posts
    368
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diverdan View Post
    Do you need a new racket? Sounds like X is your singles racket and N50 is your doubles racket?
    sound so, but i should have a racket that totally suits me no matter what right?

  4. #4
    Regular Member diverdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    506
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No definitive answer on this. Its what ever racket that compliments your game.

  5. #5
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,485
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycril View Post
    sound so, but i should have a racket that totally suits me no matter what right?
    of all the rackets out in the market with a new market of customized rackets, i would think so, but you'll have to run thru a lot of demo programs to find it. i say just go ahead and try out different rackets your friends' got as well as whatever racket you can borrow from a pro shop.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    shingaporu
    Posts
    501
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycril View Post
    sound so, but i should have a racket that totally suits me no matter what right?
    really no definite answer on this.

    singles require stronger emphasis on the forehand strokes
    doubles require stronger emphasis on the backhand strokes

    you might want to look into shaft flexibility for a start. perhaps borrowing someone's head heavy medium/flexy shaft to see if it works for you

  7. #7
    Regular Member Cycril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in M'sia
    Posts
    368
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vajrasattva View Post
    really no definite answer on this.

    singles require stronger emphasis on the forehand strokes
    doubles require stronger emphasis on the backhand strokes

    you might want to look into shaft flexibility for a start. perhaps borrowing someone's head heavy medium/flexy shaft to see if it works for you
    Quote Originally Posted by gundamzaku View Post
    of all the rackets out in the market with a new market of customized rackets, i would think so, but you'll have to run thru a lot of demo programs to find it. i say just go ahead and try out different rackets your friends' got as well as whatever racket you can borrow from a pro shop.
    well...my area is fulled with poor like me and there is no idea how you can borrow a demo unit from a badminton store. Maybe i should start trading my N50 with other rackets so that i can keep trying new racket and maybe a find a racket that suits me. true?

    gudamzaku, can i know what is a demo program?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    shingaporu
    Posts
    501
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycril View Post
    well...my area is fulled with poor like me and there is no idea how you can borrow a demo unit from a badminton store. Maybe i should start trading my N50 with other rackets so that i can keep trying new racket and maybe a find a racket that suits me. true?

    gudamzaku, can i know what is a demo program?
    yeap trading is an option.

    alternative, get some lead tape and weigh down the head of the n50 to see how it feels

  9. #9
    Regular Member Cycril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in M'sia
    Posts
    368
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vajrasattva View Post
    yeap trading is an option.

    alternative, get some lead tape and weigh down the head of the n50 to see how it feels
    i ran out of lead tapes already...and my lead tape is quite costly since it was tailor made for tennis racket only. 4.2g each, and it's around RM9 each. already attached one on my X. Now left one, planing to use it later on a racket like Z-force/N90 if i had enough money to buy it

  10. #10
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,485
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycril View Post
    well...my area is fulled with poor like me and there is no idea how you can borrow a demo unit from a badminton store. Maybe i should start trading my N50 with other rackets so that i can keep trying new racket and maybe a find a racket that suits me. true?

    gudamzaku, can i know what is a demo program?
    some stores have programs for people to demo rackets. some charges a few dollars for the day and you can use it as long as you at at the gym. some store allows you to borrow up to 3 rackets for 3 days for free, then return it in the same condition you first borrowed. there is one store near my home that allowed me to borrow rackets for free, that's how i got to know victor rackets and their great qualities. if not, i would have stuck with yonex all my life since that's what my father used to play with.

    if there is no demo program available, try swapping rackets with people you play with just to rally for a few shots to get the feel of it. of course string tension and thickness affect the feel too, but at least you swing a different racket and get the very general idea of what another racket feels like.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Cycril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in M'sia
    Posts
    368
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gundamzaku View Post
    some stores have programs for people to demo rackets. some charges a few dollars for the day and you can use it as long as you at at the gym. some store allows you to borrow up to 3 rackets for 3 days for free, then return it in the same condition you first borrowed. there is one store near my home that allowed me to borrow rackets for free, that's how i got to know victor rackets and their great qualities. if not, i would have stuck with yonex all my life since that's what my father used to play with.

    if there is no demo program available, try swapping rackets with people you play with just to rally for a few shots to get the feel of it. of course string tension and thickness affect the feel too, but at least you swing a different racket and get the very general idea of what another racket feels like.
    well...there is no demo unit in my place here currently, which made me envy you . And my friends and I are all poor. We don't have a high end racket so far until recently i bought a 2nd hand N50. And majority of people who play inside the center doesn't own a very good racket. Even a state player.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •