racket recommendation

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Cycril, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

hi, hope you guys will spend some time reading this and give some idea about it.

I found a problem of myself recently. I have 2 rackets currently, one is [2U]X, a stiff + head heavy racket. And the another one is a [3U]N50, a more balanced racket.

I play single most of the time. But sometimes double too, while doing this training here as the smasher back there. I felt my smash more powerful with the N50 compared to X. However, i felt my singles game more comfortable with the X compared to the N50 because i felt the racket is too light for me. Which means that i'm more ''all-round'' with X compared to N50.

My friends did recommend me to go for more balanced racket as they say i can apply greater ''force'' to the racket compared to X. But in singles game with my N50, i can't apply that force that i have applied during the training into the game. So, should i go for a balanced racket or should i stay in the stiff + head heavy racket area.

P.S. I'm not getting a new racket unless I'm really craving for it.:p

#1 Cycril, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  2. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Do you need a new racket? Sounds like X is your singles racket and N50 is your doubles racket?

3. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

sound so, but i should have a racket that totally suits me no matter what right?

4. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    No definitive answer on this. Its what ever racket that compliments your game.

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    of all the rackets out in the market with a new market of customized rackets, i would think so, but you'll have to run thru a lot of demo programs to find it. i say just go ahead and try out different rackets your friends' got as well as whatever racket you can borrow from a pro shop.

6. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

really no definite answer on this.

singles require stronger emphasis on the forehand strokes
    doubles require stronger emphasis on the backhand strokes

you might want to look into shaft flexibility for a start. perhaps borrowing someone's head heavy medium/flexy shaft to see if it works for you

7. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

well...my area is fulled with poor like me and there is no idea how you can borrow a demo unit from a badminton store. Maybe i should start trading my N50 with other rackets so that i can keep trying new racket and maybe a find a racket that suits me. true?

gudamzaku, can i know what is a demo program?

8. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

yeap trading is an option.

alternative, get some lead tape and weigh down the head of the n50 to see how it feels

9. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

i ran out of lead tapes already...and my lead tape is quite costly since it was tailor made for tennis racket only. 4.2g each, and it's around RM9 each. already attached one on my X. Now left one, planing to use it later on a racket like Z-force/N90 if i had enough money to buy it :(

10. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    some stores have programs for people to demo rackets. some charges a few dollars for the day and you can use it as long as you at at the gym. some store allows you to borrow up to 3 rackets for 3 days for free, then return it in the same condition you first borrowed. there is one store near my home that allowed me to borrow rackets for free, that's how i got to know victor rackets and their great qualities. if not, i would have stuck with yonex all my life since that's what my father used to play with.

if there is no demo program available, try swapping rackets with people you play with just to rally for a few shots to get the feel of it. of course string tension and thickness affect the feel too, but at least you swing a different racket and get the very general idea of what another racket feels like.

11. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

well...there is no demo unit in my place here currently, which made me envy you :(. And my friends and I are all poor. We don't have a high end racket so far until recently i bought a 2nd hand N50. And majority of people who play inside the center doesn't own a very good racket. Even a state player.