does swimming help ???

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by pussiii999, Jan 16, 2013.

1. pussiii999

pussiii999 Regular Member

chef
    Hi everyone ...Just wondering does anyone of you know that does swimming help strengthen you knees .....You know the free style when you legs keeps peddling ..... do you think it helps strengthen the muscles around the knee area

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

minimally. you shouldnt be kicking very much in freestyle. Much better is balanced one-legged squats or slow stair climbing.

3. pussiii999

pussiii999 Regular Member

chef
    I mean just use the kick to propel ur body .... why i saying this is also it not does stress the knee but also strengthen it .... Squats and slow stairs climbing put stress on knee as our weight and gravity pull us down . Free style swimming kick pushes the body in water but not stress on knee .... I just using my logic and went for a try today and i feel there is alot of work out in that area .... Just my 2 cents dunno if others think this is good a not .... maybe there are pro here that think otherwise .... hahahaha

4. 96382

96382 Regular Member

swimming is a very good way to improve overall stamina and to develope strong core muscles. it does not replace any serious strength training for any muscle group depending on your personal fitness, experience and goals.

Swimming itself does not include a match-near training environment. Especially you wont benefit much in terms of improving footwork or technique.

Still it is recommended in terms of a complex training routine or just to to something different instead of being all the time on court and put stress on your joints etc.

5. Orangie

Orangie Regular Member

Do not know if swimming helps on weak knees. Have only 2 suggestions for weak knees:
    1. Do not lock knees as if standing at attentation.
    Always stand with the knees bent slightly. Not rest the whole upper body weight on the locked kneees. Use the tight, calf and whatever muscles for that.

2. Do proper squats.
    Check out loads of videos on the net. When squating down, keep the knees in line with the toes vertically (eyes looking down toward knees to toes). Not in front of the toes.

These exercises works for me. BTW, I'm not a doc. Please see a doc for accessment.
    My 2 cts. Good day!

#5 Orangie, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  6. shuttlekar

shuttlekar Regular Member

why not use the cross trainer? i think it should not be high impact yet at the same time the movement seems to be exercising the knees as well as the whole body depending on the resistance used right?

7. davidrock0011

davidrock0011 New Member

markiting
    No doubt Swimming is a very good practice and game for your any game.. according to my knowledge it makes your muscles strong calm and also provide you relaxation for the long time and also makes you mind fresh and cool..

8. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

1. the kick in swimming comes from the hips, not the knees!
    2. a lot of swimming makes you slow.

9. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    it will def strengthen your lungs for sure!!!! but as far as muscles, your cavs, at best. it will tone your muscles, but usually strength development takes place in the free weights area, not in the pool.

10. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    I usually do swimming on my rest day, so i called it an active rest day. Swimming will improve your stamina, if you do it fast, of course. Additionally, if you are just warming up in the pool and do it slowly, in my opinion, it helps to relax your muscle thus helping for recovering minor muscle injuries, especially arm and back.

11. sychong95

sychong95 Regular Member

Student
    I think I can answer yr question :)

In badminton, our muscles requires explosiveness to give sudden power to our shots, and endurance for long plays.

Swimming does increase yr lung volume with of course increases yr stamina.

However my badminton coach says that training marathon swimming (long distance swimming) would increase yr muscle length which will weaken your explosiveness in badminton.

So if u want to train swimming, u need to train SPEED swimming (swim at yr fastest speed in 50M,rest a while and repeat), which would train yr muscle explosiveness, and yr muscle endurance (by trying to maintain the same speed):)

12. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the info sychong95, having some insights from badminton coach is better. As far as i can tell, i am on the right track then by applying High Intensity Interval Training in swimming.

13. sychong95

sychong95 Regular Member

Student
    Yr welcome =] Gd luck with yr training =]