User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    France
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Ashaway Superlight T5SQ

    Just bought a new Ashaway racket. When I received it, it was 82g and ~300mm (with grip and string). I restrung it to my liking and replaced the grip with a towel grip. It was then 89g and ~285-290mm. Prefering a bit head-heavier rackets, I finally put some lead tape on. Currently, the racket is 92g with a ~295mm balance point.

    The shaft is medium-flex, a tad more flexible than a Brave Sword 09. The Superlight 99SQ is stiffer than this one.

    It is very manoeuvrable, Defense is easy and power is pretty decent.
    Can be used in doubles as well as in singles (for me).

    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  150.4 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  152.6 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  158.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  2. #2
    Regular Member Sketchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Westcountry
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Not a fan of the new graphics - it looked better in gold.
    It used to be popular with county juniors around here, but I think it's not really stiff enough for stronger players (must feel ridiculously flexible by the time you add extra weight to the head as well). I'm more interested in the 99SQ, but when I made a post asking about it, noone replied.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    France
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah it surely made it a little more flexible. Well the 99SQ is good but the balance point is the same so I couldn't generate much power. Had some problems with defense as well (for me).

    With the T5, I can defend all the way to the back with much ease.
    If you like stiffer rackets, yeah the 99SQ will suit you more.

  4. #4
    Regular Member allyjack110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koyukii View Post
    Just bought a new Ashaway racket. When I received it, it was 82g and ~300mm (with grip and string). I restrung it to my liking and replaced the grip with a towel grip. It was then 89g and ~285-290mm. Prefering a bit head-heavier rackets, I finally put some lead tape on. Currently, the racket is 92g with a ~295mm balance point.

    The shaft is medium-flex, a tad more flexible than a Brave Sword 09. The Superlight 99SQ is stiffer than this one.

    It is very manoeuvrable, Defense is easy and power is pretty decent.
    Can be used in doubles as well as in singles (for me).
    Sweet. Nice to meet another Ashaway fan. What string is that you are using? PowerGut?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    France
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah it was the powergut 65. Unfortunately it broke already due to a mishit.
    It's now strung with Zymax 70

  6. #6
    Regular Member allyjack110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koyukii View Post
    Yeah it was the powergut 65. Unfortunately it broke already due to a mishit.
    It's now strung with Zymax 70
    I like Ashaway strings, but I don't find them particularly durable. I had my Ashaway Viper strung with Zymax 70 at 25lbs and it lasted me less than an hour. Excluding the red chrome, the T5's new graphics around the head remind me of the Voltric 70. I also play with an Ashaway Nano Rally, which is very similar to the Superlight 79 (non-isometric).

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    France
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well actually the two silver things are the lead tape.

    As far as I'm concerned, Ashaway strings are durable enough. As long as you don't mishit, it lasts.
    I have now Zymax 70 at 28lbs, it's lasted me a week so far with a tournament I had this weekend.
    Even Zymax 62 can last me a good amount of time.

  8. #8
    Regular Member allyjack110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koyukii View Post
    Well actually the two silver things are the lead tape.

    As far as I'm concerned, Ashaway strings are durable enough. As long as you don't mishit, it lasts.
    I have now Zymax 70 at 28lbs, it's lasted me a week so far with a tournament I had this weekend.
    Even Zymax 62 can last me a good amount of time.
    I realise this is an old thread but I am really interesed in buying a T5 myself. 28lbs seems pretty high for the Superlight T5. Have you had any problems with it at that tension? I usually have my rackets strung at 25lbs but the Ashaway website states that the max tension is 23lbs. Would 25lbs be a problem? I only ask because I heard that the Superlight 79SQ was a very fragile frame.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    France
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allyjack110 View Post
    I realise this is an old thread but I am really interesed in buying a T5 myself. 28lbs seems pretty high for the Superlight T5. Have you had any problems with it at that tension? I usually have my rackets strung at 25lbs but the Ashaway website states that the max tension is 23lbs. Would 25lbs be a problem? I only ask because I heard that the Superlight 79SQ was a very fragile frame.
    Well I even went up to 30 lbs once and the rackets are still in good shape. The only thing is the paint which comes off easily.

  10. #10
    Regular Member allyjack110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Koyukii,

    How does the T5's performance and build quality compared to your more expensive rackets? 60 although not cheap, is considerably less compared to say something like a Voltric Z Force which costs around 180 here in the UK; that's an increase of 200%. I find it hard to believe that the Z Forze is 200% 'better' than the T5. I'm also interested in the ashaway Superlight 79SQ and Ashaway Ti130 but I have heard that the 79 is a very fragile frame.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    France
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allyjack110 View Post
    Koyukii,

    How does the T5's performance and build quality compared to your more expensive rackets? 60 although not cheap, is considerably less compared to say something like a Voltric Z Force which costs around 180 here in the UK; that's an increase of 200%. I find it hard to believe that the Z Forze is 200% 'better' than the T5. I'm also interested in the ashaway Superlight 79SQ and Ashaway Ti130 but I have heard that the 79 is a very fragile frame.
    I would say it's a mid-end racket. I would say it equals a ~100 Yonex racket.
    Never had the two other rackets.

  12. #12
    Regular Member allyjack110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koyukii View Post
    I would say it's a mid-end racket. I would say it equals a ~100 Yonex racket.
    Never had the two other rackets.
    Thanks for help Koyukii,

    I'm torn between several rackets at the moment. The T5 and the Carlton Vapour Trail 'ELITE'. I recently bought 2 x Babolat Satelite Essentials but I returned one to the retailer as it developed a fault in the handle. I've requested a refund instead of a replacement as I find the shaft far to flexible for my liking anyway. The T5 might be too 'soft' for my style of play.

Similar Threads

  1. Ashaway Superlight 99SQ
    By Sketchy in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 30
    : 08-07-2013, 12:52 AM
  2. Ashaway Superlight 79 SQ
    By Smash _Drop in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 31
    : 11-21-2010, 09:21 AM
  3. Ashaway Superlight 79SQ
    By SheepJumpFish in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 21
    : 03-20-2009, 12:44 PM
  4. ashaway superlight or karakal sl-70
    By Singhy94 in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 1
    : 08-28-2007, 06:39 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •