Stringing Question am I right to assume that ?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by RAMADA77, Oct 26, 2003.

1. RAMADA77

RAMADA77 Regular Member

Student
    May seem an odd question but am I right to assume that a racket strung correctly say at 22 - 24 lbs tension will have the same head shape overall to one that is completely unstrung ?

I mount rackets on my 6 point stringing machine carefully and draw in the outer clamps evenly and draw out the end posts just enough to secure it in place.... finger tight.
    I assume this is correct ? Although I know the frame grips the posts more tightly as I do the stringing ?

I appreciate many of you may only use 2 point machines.

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

i'm not a stringer but i would presume a racquet on a 6 point system would stay the same head shape regardless of what tension you string it at, although the head size might be different.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    BRL, if some stringer use 2 lbs more on cross to 'restore' the racquet shape, wouldn't 2 extra lbs on a racquet with side support make the racquet narrower?

can you also elaborate on how a racquet retaining the same head shape may have different head size?

4. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

i've interpreted that as 22 to 24 rather than 22x24 pounds.
    with higher tension, the head will be compressed inward more. I've seen some racquets squished about 5mm smaller all around compared to my racquet... but I guess that's probably either bad stringing or bad racquet since he was actually using a lower tension.

5. RAMADA77

RAMADA77 Regular Member

Student
    Sorry if I have not explained correctly but you were right, I actually meant an even tension of 22 - 24 lbs on mains & crosses, but with certain racket frames I am concerned that a six point machine may cause frame damage around the 12 o' clock end post at higher tensions say 26 lbs as the frame is unable to expand as it can with a 2 point machine.
    Does anyone know if it is a good idea to pad the end post with soft grip or leather to prevent any damage ?

Or would it be best to avoid stringing rackets over 24lbs altogether ?

Any comments particularly from stringers with 6 point machines please.

Best wishes