The pro shop broke my racket while stringing

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by helenchc, Jan 16, 2013.

1. helenchc

helenchc Regular Member

student
    So the pro shop at my club broke my racket while stringing it. The owner is my coach and he older brother was the person who string it. it is super awkaward now. What should i do?

2. Randomlegend

Randomlegend Regular Member

School
    Did they compensate you for it?

3. KayakerSteve

KayakerSteve Regular Member

911 Dispatcher
    You should try the racquet they provided as a replacement, not necessarily a new racquet but an approporiate replacement.

4. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    just ask them for a replacement, the longer you wait, the less they'll be obligated to replace it thinking that you might feel it's not their fault...doesn't have to be a brand new racket, could be a demo, but should replace it especially when you have a close relationship with both the coach and his brother.

5. helenchc

helenchc Regular Member

student
    They havnt offer me anything yet. Its a Yonex nanospeed700rp(real). I asked to string at 24 lbs so which it no high at all. i really hope they will give me some replacement and not offering me some % of a new racket. All i know about what happened is he is almost done and he tried to get through one of the grommet with a tool and it breaks. Not sure how or how hard was he pushing it.The other thing is my coach is 60ish and his brother 70ish which means he cant see very well. I have no idea why he was the one who string my racket.

6. helenchc

helenchc Regular Member

student
    I kinda feels like its worst because im close to them. I dont think they will really want to pay for it and do they have a demo on the same racket. Should i take the offer if they are offering me some % off a new racket or really should ask for a replacement?

7. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    Assuming you meant nanoray because otherwise your (real) is funny

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    They own a club. I don't think they'd be exactly hand-to-mouth. Besides, if they've been in this business long enough, they must have encountered such a situation before as well.

I'd say it was incumbent on them to immediately offer you a replacement. The fact that they did not see fit to do so, does not IMO say much about their intentions and/or snese of obligation. I think they're waiting for you to make the first move, and are content to let things slide.

I feel you are completely within your rights to say (at the very least) something like, "Well, what are you going to do about it? I am a beginner (or whatever :) ) and I certainly won't shell out the cash for another racquet, so when are you going to replace it for me?" It's very likely that if you give them any leeway in this matter, they'll try to wriggle out of it. I'm assuming this because the owner coaches you (therefore he is earning something from you, not doing you any favours) but his brother who runs the pro shop breaks your property and they think it's OK to not take responsibility. Sucks!!!

You know what it's like in many places: you don't ask, you won't get.

Sorry for the diatribe. :) Just my 2c...

9. helenchc

helenchc Regular Member

student
    lol. Yeah its a nanoray! No idea why would i said nanospeed.

10. gundamzaku

working professional
    also you're giving them business by taking lessons and i'm assuming buying stuff from their pro shop as necessary like strings and stringing service. so the relationship no matter how close, is still business based. therefore, like cobalt said, you have every right to ask for a replacement. i do agree that they are kinda shady in that they didn't do anything about it and are willing to let it slide or hoping that you would let it slide. unless there's only one place to get coaching and badminton services, if they reject your request for a new replacement, go elsewhere.

11. helenchc

helenchc Regular Member

student
    So i just had a lesson with my coach (the owner), he still hasnt common or say anything about it yet and i didnt get a chance to talk yo him since he has another group right after. I think its true that he prob wants me to start so things will slide off. And it is so tough cuz i am close to them and also i know he knew about it but not saying or doing anything.

12. helenchc

helenchc Regular Member

student
    Its really like the only place to get top coaching in this city. Well there is one other place but they sucks pretty bad so i wont go there at all. The pro shop is the real shop to get service(im not counting sportcheck...), there are other coach or player do string rackets but it will take more work and longer.

13. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    geez louise! you're close, talk it out!
    unless you're a teenage girl, then the silent treatment is the perfect solution.

14. helenchc

helenchc Regular Member

student
    Man you totally got the point. Im a teenage girl! Turning 18 in a couple weeks.

15. gundamzaku

working professional
    get your mom to do it then, or cry about it, they'll notice then!!!

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    You're old enough to do your own talking. If you don't begin taking responsibility for yourself, why should anyone else bother (especially when they can get away with destroying your property + earning coaching fees, and then sitting back to enjoy the show) especially now that you're about to turn 18?

It's not that you're demanding something unfair. The boot in fact is on the other foot. These guys know exactly what they're doing, by the sound of it. It is YOU who don't know if you're coming or going. This is money someone worked hard for - don't go giving it away to a worthless cause.

17. Tornoni

Tornoni Regular Member

Finance
    Which city are you from in Canada?

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You should speak directly with the stringer about the issue.

19. helenchc

helenchc Regular Member

student
    He was the one who told me what happened. He asked me how long do i have that racket (4 or 5 months got it in hk). Then he was like i will talk to the owner and see what he can do. Give you some deals or sth.

20. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

There must have been pre-existing crack on the racket since the tension is quite low.
    The stringers here in KL will check everywhere to ensure there is no crack before starting stringing. If they detect anything (huge paint chips, hairline cracks etc), they will give a disclaimer before starting.

Even using strings at 0.63mm, if you want to string it at 26 they will say, it will snap and you string it at your own risk.