Shouting on court

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by tipper1, Jan 17, 2013.

1. tipper1

tipper1 Regular Member

sales
    I have a question !Are there rules in relation to shouting, grunting etc on court. Some scenarios:1. Player(s) win a rally and shout out in joy. This happens rarely and only after tough rally.2. Player(s) win a rally and shout out in joy. This happens frequently, perhaps after every 2/3 points.3. Player(s) lose a rally and shouts out in frustration at themselves. Happens every 4/5 points lost.4. Player makes noise or grunts, like in ladies tennis, while hitting their shot or immediately on hitting it. This happens frequently even on fore-court net kills, every 3/4 points.It may happen that these occur in a 1-court hall but what happens if occur in a 4-court hall with other games in progress.

2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i believe all of them are allowed, and if there is a problem it would be up to the umpire's discretion? i have seen the pros do all of the above.

one way you are not allow to shout is toward your opponents, pros have been warned because of that. and of course there is this distraction rule where if you should while your opponent is trying to execute a shot for the purpose of distracting your opponent then it would be wrong.

3. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

^^ That is all correct. You may even shout to smash and then do a drop to fake out the opponent. That is allowed as well.

4. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I have quite an extrovert type personality, so shouting comes as second nature to me (when I'm warmed up or in a tough game)

If its a long/hard rally I'll probably shout something whether I win or lose it, obviously a jubilant cry if I win and a "why did I play that shot?" Type shout when I lose :p

Personally don't see the problem with it, after all everyone's free to express themselves. :)

5. gundamzaku

working professional
    i have gotten into a habit of giving a quick shout after a good rally and winning it along with the fist pump but never toward the opponent because to me that seems like i'm taunting them, to me, personally, is unsportsmanlike!

6. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Fist pumping towards the opponent is a yellow cardable offense.

I always shout after long winning rallies. It is a way for the adrenaline to pump and get you going. (Even though technically shouting uses up stamina as well). And correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there is scientific proof behind your smashes are stronger when you exhale (or shout).

7. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

I think the worst for me is when my partner screams "GO!!!!!" to me... I find that super distracting!!! I will go for it if it's my shot... Every time I play with my friend and she screams super loud "GO!!!!"... And I'm going up for a smash... I completely miss it!!!

8. tipper1

tipper1 Regular Member

sales
    I thought this would be illegal as it is using your voice to deceive your opponent.Are there actually any rules on this issue or any rules available in relation to behaviour on court.Also can a player on another court complain about a shout/scream made on another court.

9. gundamzaku

working professional
    i see the pros do it all the time and they never get called on it, and i think it's very very difficult to prove that you were actually trying for deception/distraction since one could argue that that's how he/she hits a drop. also the smasher/dropper is so far away if that scream is distracting then everyone else who's making noises in the as spectators will have to be quiet as well???

10. ronaldindin

ronaldindin Regular Member

Shout to opponent after winning a point is not allowed isn't it? But I find it was a part of mentally distracting which may cause them to do mistake

11. uglydewey

uglydewey Regular Member

Student
    Making noises while playing is allowed. When the player uses it to target the opposing player in a unsportsman like way, then the umpire is allowed to pull cards. Usually it's a verbal warning before any cards are given.

If a player targets their opponent through swearing, it's an automatic yellow/red under the umpire's discretion.

12. gundamzaku

working professional
    doing any of the above toward your opponent is not allowed and it's up to the umpire to throw you a penalty or verbal warning. the only thing you care do is just stare fiercely at your opponent. LCW has one of the most obvious stare i've seen thus far!

13. kvyra

kvyra Regular Member

Perfectly legal, except if done in the direction of your opponents.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

nah... that award goes to mogensen :p

he looks like he wants to eat you alive!

15. gundamzaku

working professional
    haha, i agree.