User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Critique this lady in video

What are the first few things you would tell this lady (nearest to camera, blue top) to work on. Playing a year or so and is very fit and active.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1znP...e_gdata_player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a year OR SO? what does the or so mean pls?

i think she would beat most of the girls in our club who play 5 years+ lol
    lazy bit..s here

but what in the world pls is this of a location! sick!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from what I can see (which isn't much )

Her clears are all attacking clears.

Might be nice and good against a player like the one in the video; but play like that against someone quicker than her and she'll be seeing the birds on her side of the net before she can even take 2 steps back towards base position. Those clears need to get up to Mary's height.

Moving before the shuttle is hit. Opponent plays a net shot, she goes to retrieve, and before the bird is over the net she's already moving backwards. I can understand moving maybe a step back; but she was like in full "retreat to backcourt mode" Had the opponent played another net shot, it'd be another easy point for the opponent.

Double action forehand overhead stroke. Get rid of it; losing a lot of power with that double action.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1. She needs footwork training. Learn how to balance and get the right footwork to move around the court. She's trying to use strength to compensate for awkward positioning. Later on, this inappropriate use of strength will inhibit her game.

2. Yes, the double action. Not good. But she'll need point 3. to help

3. Preparation for overhead. As she raises the racquet arm in preparation for the ready position before the main swing, her right elbow is above the height of her left shoulder. A more ideal position would be the slightly below the level of the shoulder.

4. She's willing to run - that's a great bonus. But she'll save a lot energy and win more points if she's more efficient with movement.

I won't comment on tactics. She's enjoying her games.
    Last edited by Cheung; 01-18-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

overheads: double action (as mentioned), elbow not high enough on stroke (maybe only smash, see 4:05), generally strike point is wrong, maybe due to not getting behind shuttle - she is always 'falling off' the shot to the left and her follow thru' is often going in the other direction (e.g 1:57). right -to-left clears are really funky (2:24, 3:47) need to get behind shuttle and contact it (much) higher

missing split drops - very noticeable after she high serves and then just waits.

backhand: 1:29 racket foot needs to be down much earlier - making contact either slightly before, or on contact with the shuttle, but definitely not after.

at the net - she backs away from the net too far and too early after she plays net shot.

ready-serve position - it's pretty poor position imo - either bring the racket head up or the elbow down - but having the hand above the racket head is not helping anything.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think she only played on drop shot from the back of the court and no smash at all. That part is definetly missing from her game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree with all Cheung's advice.
    5. I did recommend her grip to be more relaxed and use a proper grip for each shot, i can see her grip very stiff and she didn't change her grip while using backhand shots.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

needs to be more flexible/loose in her swing, looks kinda rigid as if a part of her arm is locked. sorry i can't really describe it well.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh yeah, this thread might be of note...
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...playing/page97

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am an advocate of a good foundation in footwork and a good overhead stroke. Once these are grooved and ingrained, I believe the game becomes much easier to develop. I would concentrate on these aspects initially with only a small emphasis on gameplay to keep the player's interest.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

something wrong with the court. lines.
    i feel awkward.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The court doesn't have doubles lines because the hall is too small

Did she play tennis before by chance? She certainly has potential, shot choice and movement, despite it's technicality is very impressive.

She locks her wrist when she is hitting, most of the power in her shots come from the upper arm which is wrong for badminton. A lot of her hitting because of this, is to the side -rather than above her, so she hits flatter and doesn't hit the shuttle down.

The movement is great compared to a lot of relative begineers, but she needs a good amount of shadow work practice and demonstration from someone who knows the correct footwork. i.e lunge form and lower slightly loaded base stance to enable quicker initial movement. The lunge is something particular that I cringe when I see, I used to be guilty of not planting the foot properly when ends up in this "double step"

The main things I noticed that she doesn't kick through with the racquet leg on most overhead strokes. Meaning that recovery is delayed because she has to turn after she has hit the stroke, when she should be rotating the body and legs after hitting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tipper, does she has access to a badminton coach ? Perhaps group lessons? I feel like she is playing it the wrong way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunatley not really. Club coaching yes, with coaches of basic coaching qualifications or from good clubs players.Such players and coaches may not have full confidence in their knowledge to coach correct techniques themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Her breakthrough will come when she is able to anticipate instead of react to every one of her opponent's shots. And that will come with good footwork and recovery, a prerequisite for good shot technique. Cheung's advice is good. There are a lot of footwork drills one can incorporate in a training session before an actual game or two.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

basic
    footwork, grip, racquet positioning, follow through. enroll in beginner courses for badminton

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smashmaniac View Post
    basic
    footwork, grip, racquet positioning, follow through. enroll in beginner courses for badminton

she's a beginner, so the usual advice for beginners applies...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast