Critique this lady in video

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by tipper1, Jan 18, 2013.

1. tipper1

tipper1 Regular Member

sales
  2. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

a year OR SO? what does the or so mean pls?

i think she would beat most of the girls in our club who play 5 years+ lol
    lazy bit..s here :D:D

but what in the world pls is this of a location! sick!

3. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

from what I can see (which isn't much :p )

Her clears are all attacking clears.

Might be nice and good against a player like the one in the video; but play like that against someone quicker than her and she'll be seeing the birds on her side of the net before she can even take 2 steps back towards base position. Those clears need to get up to Mary's height.

Moving before the shuttle is hit. Opponent plays a net shot, she goes to retrieve, and before the bird is over the net she's already moving backwards. I can understand moving maybe a step back; but she was like in full "retreat to backcourt mode" :D Had the opponent played another net shot, it'd be another easy point for the opponent.

Double action forehand overhead stroke. Get rid of it; losing a lot of power with that double action.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    1. She needs footwork training. Learn how to balance and get the right footwork to move around the court. She's trying to use strength to compensate for awkward positioning. Later on, this inappropriate use of strength will inhibit her game.

2. Yes, the double action. Not good. But she'll need point 3. to help

3. Preparation for overhead. As she raises the racquet arm in preparation for the ready position before the main swing, her right elbow is above the height of her left shoulder. A more ideal position would be the slightly below the level of the shoulder.

4. She's willing to run - that's a great bonus. But she'll save a lot energy and win more points if she's more efficient with movement.

I won't comment on tactics. She's enjoying her games.

#4 Cheung, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

overheads: double action (as mentioned), elbow not high enough on stroke (maybe only smash, see 4:05), generally strike point is wrong, maybe due to not getting behind shuttle - she is always 'falling off' the shot to the left and her follow thru' is often going in the other direction (e.g 1:57). right -to-left clears are really funky (2:24, 3:47) need to get behind shuttle and contact it (much) higher

missing split drops - very noticeable after she high serves and then just waits.

backhand: 1:29 racket foot needs to be down much earlier - making contact either slightly before, or on contact with the shuttle, but definitely not after.

at the net - she backs away from the net too far and too early after she plays net shot.

ready-serve position - it's pretty poor position imo - either bring the racket head up or the elbow down - but having the hand above the racket head is not helping anything.

6. phili

phili Regular Member

I think she only played on drop shot from the back of the court and no smash at all. That part is definetly missing from her game

7. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

i agree with all Cheung's advice.
    5. I did recommend her grip to be more relaxed and use a proper grip for each shot, i can see her grip very stiff and she didn't change her grip while using backhand shots.

8. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    needs to be more flexible/loose in her swing, looks kinda rigid as if a part of her arm is locked. sorry i can't really describe it well.

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I am an advocate of a good foundation in footwork and a good overhead stroke. Once these are grooved and ingrained, I believe the game becomes much easier to develop. I would concentrate on these aspects initially with only a small emphasis on gameplay to keep the player's interest.

11. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    something wrong with the court. lines.
    i feel awkward.

12. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

The court doesn't have doubles lines because the hall is too small ;)

Did she play tennis before by chance? She certainly has potential, shot choice and movement, despite it's technicality is very impressive.

She locks her wrist when she is hitting, most of the power in her shots come from the upper arm which is wrong for badminton. A lot of her hitting because of this, is to the side -rather than above her, so she hits flatter and doesn't hit the shuttle down.

The movement is great compared to a lot of relative begineers, but she needs a good amount of shadow work practice and demonstration from someone who knows the correct footwork. i.e lunge form and lower slightly loaded base stance to enable quicker initial movement. The lunge is something particular that I cringe when I see, I used to be guilty of not planting the foot properly when ends up in this "double step"

The main things I noticed that she doesn't kick through with the racquet leg on most overhead strokes. Meaning that recovery is delayed because she has to turn after she has hit the stroke, when she should be rotating the body and legs after hitting.

13. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    Tipper, does she has access to a badminton coach ? Perhaps group lessons? I feel like she is playing it the wrong way.

14. tipper1

tipper1 Regular Member

sales
    Unfortunatley not really. Club coaching yes, with coaches of basic coaching qualifications or from good clubs players.Such players and coaches may not have full confidence in their knowledge to coach correct techniques themselves.

15. Voltric

Voltric Regular Member

Her breakthrough will come when she is able to anticipate instead of react to every one of her opponent's shots. And that will come with good footwork and recovery, a prerequisite for good shot technique. Cheung's advice is good. There are a lot of footwork drills one can incorporate in a training session before an actual game or two.

16. smashmaniac

smashmaniac Regular Member

basic
    footwork, grip, racquet positioning, follow through. enroll in beginner courses for badminton

17. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

she's a beginner, so the usual advice for beginners applies...

18. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

You can't expect miracle from a year of amateur experience but from what I can see, injury will likely happen if she doesn't improve her footwork asap. Also, watch as many training videos as she can and THINK before she hits. Just take her time to learn instead of trying to win or impress. She is not professional after all so don't be too harsh on her.

19. uglydewey

uglydewey Regular Member

Student
    After watching the video, these are the things that are on my mind:

- Work on foot work (She's having some hard time reaching some shots, some of them are because she hesistates before moving costing her the point)

- Her clears (She doesn't always have to push so hard on the clears. When she does her clears it's taking too much time so reacting to a counter like a drop is really slow. I believe near the beginning of the video, the first few points she lost was because of her clears.)

- Her drops (They are quite high still, even if the catches them off the side or she does a regular drop, it's still way too high. She would get killed in most situations because of the high drops.)

- She has to place her shots (There was a shot around 3-4 minutes where she does this weird cross shot, which looked like a smash but not a full on. She has to work on placement, especially her drops since she usually drops infront of her instead of the sides.)

- Different shots (Majority of her shots are clears, which she is giving up to her opponent to attack her. She should stay on the offensive as much as possible unless she needs to recover energy and good at defense. I would say, learn different attacks instead of clears and smash. Drives could've been very useful in her position.)

This is in my point of view. There is probably more, but I probably didn't realize it or it isn't a big deal.

Foot work is the key to winning.