User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the one!

Thanks, that does far more than I could have done by writing.

If you want to focus on reaction, you can tailor it to suit by throwing them quicker but not as wide too

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at 1:46, what just happened?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, shuttle came back down from a high short lift 2 hits earlier just as another one was hit low cross to the rearcourt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A great drill to improve responses is to practice playing fast drives but you must stand between the service line and the net. move closer the more confident you get.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make sure you are standing far back enough. This makes a huge difference. As a straight defender, you should normally stand a step or so behind the middle of the court.

Think about the previous shot. Was the lift or clear deep enough? Was it high enough? Make your opponent work hard on his attack!

There are many other aspects, of course. But these are the most common problems I see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is only my personal experience, but it may help: I used to have big problems returning attacking shots of shorter players (I play a lot against Asians). It took me a bit to find out what the problem was: I was in defensive stance, and the shuttle reached me at a higher position than I was used to from taller players / coaching videos, and I could not get the racket head into position in time. I realized that this was because of the angle of the "smash" (it was more something between smash and drive played from the opponents' backcourt) - the angle wasn't steep, so the trajectory of the shuttle was shorter, the shuttle reached me in less time, so I had less time to react. I must also say that I'm quite tall (188 cm), and some opponents know that hitting somewhere close to the racket shoulder is a problem especially for tall players.

Countermeasure: If you know your opponent is short and not able to jump smash, make sure (*if* you are forced to a lift or clear) to hit it really close to the opponent's baseline to get more time to react to his/her attack. Then hold your racket higher than you may usually do in defense, i.e. just above net height. Usually this way you can block to the net or use wrist power to drive the shuttle into the other corner. In conclusion, adjust the height of your racket head in defense to the possible angles of the opponents' attacking shots.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try to do this more :

Look at their body movements, racket positions and the way their footworks too... Hope this helps !

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    important things are racket position, racket orientation, grip, stance. Have a look at lee jay bok youtube vids for ready position.
    What are your recommendations in terms of racket position, racket oreitnation, and stance when your opponent is about to smash the birdie?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quixilver View Post
    Try to do this more :

Look at their body movements, racket positions and the way their footworks too... Hope this helps !
    From the video, I notice that the players have their right foot about a step ahead of their left foot. I'm right handed, but I have my left foot about a step ahead of my right foot. Am I doing things wrong? Is this holding me back?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post
    What are your recommendations in terms of racket position, racket oreitnation, and stance when your opponent is about to smash the birdie?

position:
    If the opponent is unknown I would suggest hold racket a bit low - racket head about knee height in preparation for a steep smash. If you expect the smashes to be more flat then raise the position a bit.
    Racket should be centrally positioned comfortably in front of you. You can add slight bias e.g. for tram line defence if you know your partner (x-court) is bias towards channel defence.

orientation & grip:
    Racket should be facing approximately straight ahead or slightly to the left for right-handed players. Strings should be facing (approx) left/right so you are equally prepared to use a f/h or b/h stroke

I find bevel grip best, probably others may prefer to start with slightly more backhand bias. See what works for you.

stance:
    square to the target, racket foot slightly further forward.

oh hell, just do this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqj27v14Vfc
    Last edited by amleto; 05-11-2013 at 04:53 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post
    From the video, I notice that the players have their right foot about a step ahead of their left foot. I'm right handed, but I have my left foot about a step ahead of my right foot. Am I doing things wrong? Is this holding me back?
    yes that's a bit wrong. Left foot in front hinders you moving/reaching to b/h side.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it just me that gets hyped up on sugar? only seems to last one game though

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

uhm, what has that got to do with the price of chips?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quixilver View Post
    Try to do this more :

If you ask me, when looking at racket position and footwork, left player is doing way better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2