Improve reactions in doubles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by samir12, Jan 18, 2013.

1. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

Hi, I would like some tips on how to improve my reaction in doubles, I struggle to hit the shuttle if it suddenly comes at me at a very fast pace or get my racket in a good position resulting in the shuttle hitting the frame or me missing it completely.

I don't get to play doubles that often so is there a way or improving my reflexes outside of a game?

2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    hit against the wall. ;)

3. starzia

starzia Regular Member

Play fast drives with a partner

4. vinod81

vinod81 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    keep eyes on the shuttle when the oppponent hits..this will give you some additional time to react

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

important things are racket position, racket orientation, grip, stance. Have a look at lee jay bok youtube vids for ready position.

6. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    racquet weight. lesser the weight, more swift are the reflexes....i have recently shifted from very head heavy to superlight raquets. With a bit of compromise, i am quite enjoying the experience. and since your locations says you are in uk, have a look at those karakals.

7. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

Thanks for the replies guys, @paraxysmal, I'm actually in the United States I'm studying there until May, I ordered a Nanoray racquet as I heard they are quite light.

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

as always, changing racket is often the most costly and least effective way to (try to) fix a fundamental flaw.

9. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    LIAR! you're just jealous of his new racquet and his instantly improved reactions.

10. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    lolll.... trust me. I said that after playing badminton for around 25 years. I have them all...yonexes, li nings but have settled with a couple of karakals as of now (m tec 70 and bn60 to be more specific). till 6 months back, i was a big fan head heavy raquets and my recent addition was n90. but shifting to light improved my reflexes (and its noticable to a great extent). tossing the suttle to the rear court was a problem but now i have acqired that skill. smashing too was compromised to a little extent but i am not a great smasher either. so for me, shifting to light raq was 20% loss and 80% gain.

11. ronaldindin

ronaldindin Regular Member

highly agree with this. especially if you're standing close to the wall and hit the shuttle hard.

12. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    hey everyone, take advice from the guy who owns all the racquets, but still took 25 years to figure out he was using the wrong racquet.

13. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    in addition, hold it higher (up the cone).

14. uglydewey

uglydewey Regular Member

Student
    In my opinion, it varies through players, but what works for me is opening up my body. Usually when playing doubles, when they smash is usually obvious. Someone cleared and they are going to attack you. It shouldn't be sudden to you so you have tons of time to defend.

If it's in a situation where the player drives at you, the reaction depends on you. You can try to tone it but it's really hard. I would say, practice 4 vs 1. The 1 as in you and 4 people on the other side of the court attacking you. After it's drilled into you, you will only get better. Be careful though it's hard.

I think another solution (please no one flame), is if you play fast pace action game, like FPS. You have to be always on alert and react to different situations especially in multiplayer games.

Good luck,

15. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Always keep your racket up and in front of you, as soon as the shuttle is on the other side of the net. And always assume the shot can come back to/at you, fast. That's, you need to be in a constant state of alertness as soon as a rally begins. If you can do this, at the very least, you can block back a fast shot. There shouldn't be a sense of suddenness.

Also, pay attention to your on-court position next time when you have trouble again. In those cases, are you standing to close to the net, given the circumstance? That would be the very basic.

16. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

I know a great drill for getting your reactions quicker but it's a little hard to explain and you'll need a partner.

Whilst standing at the T. Have a player standing on the same side of the net facing towards the active person with 12 16 or 20 shuttles (up to you). They then throw the shuttles by hand to mimic little push shots at about knee level either side of the player.

They should be thrown at about 2 per second, or when you get good, faster if you can. Start off alternating sides, then once you become adept, randomly to either side of you in quick sucession.

your aim is simply to get them over the net as many as possible. You have to be quick on your feet and make small racquet movements whilst balanced or you will find yourself missing the follow up throw.

I can name other routines but this one really springs to mind for reaction bettering.

17. amleto

amleto Regular Member

like this? :D

[video=youtube;8F2qA1pcgJI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F2qA1pcgJI[/video]

18. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

That's the one!

Thanks, that does far more than I could have done by writing.

If you want to focus on reaction, you can tailor it to suit by throwing them quicker but not as wide too :)

19. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

at 1:46, what just happened? :confused:

20. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Haha, shuttle came back down from a high short lift 2 hits earlier just as another one was hit low cross to the rearcourt.