Is this a fake Yonex MP100?

Discussion in 'Identify Fake Racket (Price/Source/Serial/Photos a' started by BullishBil, Oct 27, 2003.

1. BullishBil

BullishBil Regular Member

To all the racket experts: ;)

My friend just bought an MP100 for me from Indonesia. He said that the store sells three versions of MP100: Made in China (cheapest, about $25), Made in Taiwan (about $40) and Made in Japan (about $150). I asked him to buy the Made in Taiwan just for the heck of it so I can post the pictures here for you guys. What do you think? Is this a fake MP100 or this is a real MP100 with Taiwan distribution? Note that it has the PBSI logo (Indonesian Badminton Association) approval. I played with it and compare it with my friend's $200 MP100 and it looks, weight and feel exactly the same.... What do you guys think?

Thanks, William

Attached Files:

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    a fake but a very good fake with 99% confidence level.

3. eggroll

eggroll Regular Member

sales
    Looks like a fake to me. Please post serial # and country origin.

4. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    It's difficult to see from your picture, but it looks like the racquet has standard grommets; as Kwun mentioned in another thread, the mp100 grommets are noticeably thinner. Cp. the pic. of my mp100 below. It doesn't seem to have a serial no. on the cone; and the fact that the grip size and weight are indicated by a generic sticker detracts from the quality of the (alleged) copy. Other than that, it's a very good fake (if it indeed it is one). Had the paintwork been matched exactly, it would probably fool the average store clerk.

Attached Files:

#4 ynexfan2003, Oct 27, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2003
  5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    To tell you the truth, I was looking for fake rackets while I was in Taiwan this summer. I have been to around 10 shops in Taipei, and none of them are carrying the fake Yonex rackets. After a few days, I finally realized why. Yonex is not the most popular brand in Taiwan!! The most popular brand in Taiwan is definetely Victor, hard to believe huh?

Most people I know in Taiwan don't have Yonex rackets at all. That's probably why, there are a lot of sport shops in Taiwan don't even carry Yonex rackets (they will certainly carry some Victors or Prokennex or Kawasaki Rackets).

So now, I wonder, where do those fake rackets claimed made in Taiwan comes from?
    By looking at them.....most of the fakes are trying to copy the SP version of the racket (Taiwan rackets don't have SP on the shaft), I don't think they are from Taiwan.

I would guess the rackets are the fake of the fake rackets. That is, it's probably made in China or somewhere else, and then, claimed it's made in Taiwan since I know a lot of chinese people think goods which are made in Taiwan is at least having the medium quality.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    MP100 should be manufactured in Japan. Only lower end rackets (VF, etc) being manufactured in TW. The code is for "distribution" but not for "manufacture".

However, if u think this fake plays well, then it's a good buy for a nice backup racket.

7. 6310i

6310i Regular Member

entrepeneur
    it's a fake. look at the yonex logo at the bottom cap of the handle. it's kinda distorted. and the titanium mesh at the side of the frame looks like it has been painted. just an observation.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Also, near the T-joint area, seems it does not have the MP "bumper" type gromments.

9. BullishBil

I just realized that it doesn't have any serial # nor distribution code on the racket. So it is a fake! It plays so well though...just like a real MP100 (I borrowed my friend's MP100 and it weigh & plays the same). I guess it is a good backup racket (or even primary racket!).

What do you guys mean by "bumper" type gromments? (I don't even know what a gromment is)... :)

Thanks, William

10. lizamart

lizamart Regular Member

businessperson
    definitely fake

defintely a fake...but how you do you play with it? that's what matters most. i think that the fakes are more durable than the real ones even

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Sorry to say that its a fake.. unless if you already know its a fake. Grommets look too thin and the MP100 prints are too near. but it can certainly fool those people that dont know about rackets

12. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    The grommets look too thin? Surely, you mean the opposite? It's interesting that you say, Will, that it plays exactly like your friend's mp100; could this have been stolen from the factory at an early stage of production. I myself received a set of golf clubs a number of years ago, which had been - unknown to me - stolen from the manufacturing site in Japan in parts and then reassembled inexpertly by someone in the long line of racketeering before being sold on to me. A few of the heads fell apart and the rest were misaligned. Not a very good buy, even at 30% of the market value. I suppose less can go wrong with a racquet. Good luck with it.

13. BullishBil

ynexfan2003,

I have played with it for over a month now and it plays exactly like the real MP100. I even have my friend to re-string his racket with the same string & tension! Perhaps this is one of the stolen early stage production version? Anyway, I guess as long as it plays the same and plays well, then I got a very good deal for a $40 racket! :)