Please critique my playing?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by TNBRE, Jan 20, 2013.

1. TNBRE

TNBRE Regular Member

Student
    Hi everyone,
    I'd be happy if you all could critique my playing. I'm the one farther away from the camera, in the darker blue. Sorry for the background noise, my friends are playing on another court. Thanks, everyone!

this is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J30DyI4lUg&feature=youtu.be

2. uglydewey

uglydewey Regular Member

Student
    @0:44 - You almost missed the net kill, you hit the frame and was lucky to get the point

@1:52 - This is the situation where I want to point out. The way you play is everytime you do a shot (clear/drive/smash) you lift up your leg. It's not wrong lifting your leg, but as you can see you are spreading it wide so 1. It's hard to get your balance 2. It takes a longer time to get back on the ground to get ready. You lost the point right there because of that.

@2:04 - In the situation where you cleared, your opponent was already back, a drop to the side would've been the best choice. So shot placement is something you need to work on.

@2;37 - I know in some situations, people can't react fast enough or they just aren't ready, but if you moved your legs in the direction of the smash, you could've gotten it.

@3:10 - Kill it down, don't do it like a weak drive. You got to make sure you KILL it or you are giving away your point.

I'm just going to stop here. But these are the things you should improve on in my opinion:

- Stop trying to get the shots too low. You have some net shots and some lifts that are way to low on your back hand. Those are very dangerous and you can see that some of your net shots are high.

- Aim in the other direction. Play corner shots.

- Foot work, and don't plant yourself on the ground. Always be ready, and move to it. Get into the "beat" I guess.

Overall, not bad, but there's always room for improvement.

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

your shots from the net have far too much arm swing e.g. 1:10, 1:45. 1:45 you can take shuttle so much earlier as well - you let it get really close for no advantage. It should be short wrist + finger snap. I think your grip may not be correct.

smash at ~2:00 and (2) reason for your legs going so wide - you are reaching so far back - look at the arch in your back. The only way you can straighten out is to contract your core. Newton and 'every action has an equal and opposite' means that you need to find a counter somewhere, and that counter is to throw your leg up/in. It also maybe looks worse than it might be because you are jumping backwards - this means your non-racket foot has to be very behind you to keep you balanced. Tactically, the timing of this shot is not correct. Since you are jumping backwards, hitting at the peak puts you at a disadvantage - you should wait until you are at least past the peak and on the way down if not nearly landing -this is for smashes that realistically have a high chance of coming back.

2:03 - another example of arm swing at the net.